• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,572 Thanks
  • 1,133 posts

Posted April 13, 2017 - 06:54 PM

Hi all, a week or so ago I was using the PK 1618 with the FEL to move some tree branches and blocks everything was going good then I lifted a larger chuck just a little  to side it closer to the pile mind you I was going very slow and easy actually only moved about 6" when a head a loud snap at first I thought it was a branch but no suddenly the R rear wheel was up in the air I quickly lowered the bucket and the wheels were all back on the ground trouble is the right front wheel was laying flat on the ground no longer attached to the tractor. The right front axle snapped in two, so I checked e bay found one listed that was new so did a buy it now got it Tuesday installed it and the PK is good as new. There is a bad spot in the axle where it broke.

HPIM1534.JPG HPIM1535.JPG HPIM1536.JPG

• MH81, KennyP, boyscout862 and 6 others have said thanks

#2 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,933 Thanks
  • 29,752 posts

Posted April 13, 2017 - 07:05 PM

Are there signs or previous stress? The bad spot you mention, a casting flaw?
  • boyscout862, propane1, MNGB and 1 other said thanks

#3 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 7,758 Thanks
  • 3,798 posts

Posted April 13, 2017 - 07:23 PM

Stress over time. Is this the side that the drag link from the steering box goes to ? If so, then that spindle gets more of the torque from steering than the other side. Just a guess.
Gald ya got it fixed up.

Noel
  • boyscout862, oldedeeres, MNGB and 1 other said thanks

#4 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,572 Thanks
  • 1,133 posts

Posted April 13, 2017 - 07:51 PM

Hi, MH81, yes the bad spots are /were a stress point, no propane1 its on the other side/spindle..

Not wanting to leave the tractor out in the weeds, I went into the shop removed the R front wheel  from the 1976 1614 and put it on so I could use the tractor till the new axle came, as the Insurance commercial implies its hard to drive around on 3 wheels :wave: 

• KennyP, boyscout862, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,149 Thanks
  • 7,584 posts

Posted April 13, 2017 - 08:01 PM

Either axles or the big tall spindles shafts on the 24's are always breaking or bending with loaders.  There was info about that they had heavier axles and spindles available later, and even on later tractors they would be mounted when loader was ordered with tractor at time of build. Mission had some at one time, not sure if anymore. Larry Goss has had experience with this issue. He is the PK Godfather if you aren't familiar with name.

• KennyP, boyscout862, MNGB and 1 other said thanks

#6 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 4,686 Thanks
  • 2,064 posts

Posted April 13, 2017 - 08:25 PM

GB, those 3/4" axles are not strong enough for use with an FEL. The the inner bearing races wear grooves in the axles under normal use, and that further weakens them. It sort of turns them into a shear pin instead of an axle. I watched this video of a guy modifying his PK FEL front spindles with trailer hubs and stub axles. This is similar to what I would do if I had a PK with an FEL.

• Gtractor, MH81, KennyP and 6 others have said thanks

#7 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 732 Thanks
  • 605 posts

Posted April 14, 2017 - 08:51 AM

Those spindles and hubs are available at http://www.northerntool.com/ .

• MNGB said thank you

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,414 Thanks
  • 5,825 posts

Posted April 14, 2017 - 10:10 AM

Never like to hear of bigger items breaking.  I have never thought that a GT is heavy enough for a FEL.  Like sending a boy to do a mans work.  If one has to have a FEL then get at least  sub compact but a compact is better.  Would you pull a semi with a 1/2 T pickup just because the fifth wheel is there and fits?

• MNGB said thank you

#9 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,572 Thanks
  • 1,133 posts

Posted April 14, 2017 - 01:19 PM

Never like to hear of bigger items breaking.  I have never thought that a GT is heavy enough for a FEL.  Like sending a boy to do a mans work.  If one has to have a FEL then get at least  sub compact but a compact is better.  Would you pull a semi with a 1/2 T pickup just because the fifth wheel is there and fits?

Hi chieffan, I'm going to disagree with your post, I have seen many large heavy duty farm tractors with broken axle / spindles as well as compact and sub compact tractors, sometimes it abuse and sometimes its a defective part with my axle there was a defect in the metal.

• shorty, Austen and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#10 Austen ONLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 1,247 Thanks
  • 756 posts

Posted April 16, 2017 - 11:38 PM

If you don't use the FEL beyond its intended capabilities, it can be useful tool on a GT.

• MNGB and Glenn Ayers have said thanks

#11 bill3t OFFLINE  

bill3t
  • Member No: 57907
  • 52 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted April 21, 2017 - 05:17 PM

not a bad fix. i probably would have tried to weld the original back together first.

• MNGB said thank you

#12 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,572 Thanks
  • 1,133 posts

Posted April 21, 2017 - 06:17 PM

Hi, welding my axle was not an option it broke where the axle transitions from the axle to the seal bushing which on this axle is a part of the axle not pressed on, so welding in that area would interfere with the wheel bearing seating, plus I have serious doubts that a weld would be strong enough to hold, what I see as a improvement to this type of axle would be to have a radius machined at the junction of the axle and seal ring. Personally I would much rather have the original axle set up vs alternative posted while the axle will be stronger it is going to over stress the spindle which will then bend or break.

• KennyP and Cjet69 have said thanks