Garden Tractor Forums banner

Repowering my HT23 w/FEL, is 16 hp diesel enough?

6K views 34 replies 16 participants last post by  Utah Smitty 
#1 ·
Last summer I picked up an Onan RV Genset with a Kubota 3 cyl diesel (662?) in it. The genset runs at 1800 rpm and the engine puts out about 11hp at that rpm, but about 16 hp at 3600 rpm.

I bought back my Bolens HT23, only it now has a daylight block (tough old bird still went up on my trailer running on one cylinder...)

I want to repower it with a diesel. I have a 21 hp 2 cyl Ruggerini air cooled diesel, but it smokes a little, and has the short European style taper on the output side of the crankshaft. I'm not real confident in being able to make a coupler for that taper to run the hydro.

The tractor has a FEL, and tiller, and I intend to put a 3 PH on it-- is the 16 hp Kubota enough engine for it???

All suggestions, recommendations are appreciated.

Smitty

#3 ·
As for the tapered output, the "Wisconsin" diesel in the HT20D also had a tapered output, so the driveshaft out of one of those would probably be a good place to start. There is a guy in NJ who takes out the diesel and installs a gas engine in HT20D's that have failed. He might have the proper yoke. (Now, if I could just remember his name.)

#4 ·
Yes, but will it fit?
I think so... it's really pretty compact. And, it has the radiator, etc. already. When I had the HT23 before, I loved the strength of the Kohler K582 but it sucked gas like crazy.

Here's a picture of the genset.

View attachment 232236

#5 ·
As for the tapered output, the "Wisconsin" diesel in the HT20D also had a tapered output, so the driveshaft out of one of those would probably be a good place to start. There is a guy in NJ who takes out the diesel and installs a gas engine in HT20D's that have failed. He might have the proper yoke. (Now, if I could just remember his name.)
Is the crank tapered?? I assumed it would have an adapter to attach to the flywheel, unless the armature of the genset acts as the flywheel.

Smitty

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yes, but will it fit?
Oops!! Sorry for the double post.

Here's a picture of the genset.

Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Engineering Machine

I did some more research and it looks like it's a D650 Kubota, good for about 14hp max. I've heard that genset engines have a fixed fuel pump and can't be used on variable speed applications. HOWEVER, I had a Z482 from a truck APU, and I was able to vary the speed by moving some set screws on the fuel pump lever.

If I can only get 14 hp, it's probably not big enough for what I want.

Smitty

Attachments

#8 ·
I'm very interested in what you come up with. I have been pondering a diesel repower for a large frame also, but

have not found an engine that fit the criteria of HP, size, and cost. I also picked up a Kubota Z482, but would like something

larger.

What model is the Ruggerini that you have?

Regards,

Doug

#11 ·
Hi Smitty. I installed a 16hp. Z620 into the Bolens Duratrac with a loader and it is plenty of horse power. I'm only running it at a max of 2800 rpm so it is running below 16hp. and I have never thought it was lacking.

Does your Bolens have the 2sp. rear end like the Duratrac? If so you will have plenty of pushing power.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Electrical wiring Auto part

Attachments

#12 ·
Is the crank tapered?? I assumed it would have an adapter to attach to the flywheel, unless the armature of the genset acts as the flywheel.

Smitty
yes, the crank end is tapered for the yoke for the driveshaft connection. the flywheel is on the opposite end and does use a stub shaft for driving the PTO.

Reactions: Utah Smitty
#13 ·
Hi Smitty. I installed a 16hp. Z620 into the Bolens Duratrac with a loader and it is plenty of horse power. I'm only running it at a max of 2800 rpm so it is running below 16hp. and I have never thought it was lacking.
Does your Bolens have the 2sp. rear end like the Duratrac? If so you will have plenty of pushing power.

attachicon.gif
Ford and Bolens 019.JPG
Yes it has the two speed rear end. I figured the loader would be okay by wondered about the tiller.

Smitty

#15 ·
I believe it will be plenty enough for the HT23. Consider the early model Bolens Iseki G154-G174 tractors only had the 2 cylinder KE70 and KE75 Mitsubishi diesels, and the later tractors had the K3A & K3B 3 cylinder Mitsubishi which is very comparable to the Kubota D600-D650 engines. They were very powerful and capable machines that easily handled larger implements than the HT. What you may lose in HP numbers, you will gain in available torque.

I will be looking forward to see what you come up with.

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm very interested in what you come up with. I have been pondering a diesel repower for a large frame also, but
have not found an engine that fit the criteria of HP, size, and cost. I also picked up a Kubota Z482, but would like something
larger.

What model is the Ruggerini that you have?

Regards,

Doug
The Ruggerini is an RD200, which uses the same block and many components from the RD180 and RD210. It's 18-22 hp depending on how it's set up.

It came off an Italian made genset...I haven't found any references to them in the US, but found some in Europe. They look like a Lombardini, and Lombardini bought out Ruggerini, and was then bought out by Kohler so I'm hoping some off the Kohler/Lombardini parts will fit...

Smitty

#19 ·
Sounds like you should be looking for an owners manual and /or parts manual for that gen set, they might show you how the gen is attached to the eng.

But, the usual way is for a drive disk be bolted to the rotor shaft, which is then piloted by and bolted to the eng flywheel.

There are no engine side gen bearings.

The pump will likely be a single speed pump, yes they are slightly adjustable but not much, there might be 2-300 rpm from High idle to rated speed.

I'd put it in and try it.

Dan

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks, Dan

I bought the engine from a guy in California who had already scrapped the genset--including the coupler for the crankshaft. He couldn't remember a make or model, so I'm kind of stuck there.

As for the water cooled Kubota, that's how I thought it would connect. The air cooled engines like my Ruggerini have the flywheel with the fan, but the water cooled ones have it at the back of the crankshaft. I have a manual for the engine somewhere--it's the same series as the D750 and D850 engines.

If the pump is single speed, then there won't be enough adjustment to effectively operate the tractor...I suspect another pump is pricey.

Smitty

#21 ·
I would suggest that you get the engine running and operate the governor to see for sure it's operating range. Otherwise your basing your decisions on guess which is never a good thing. People told me the engines out of APU's had fixed governors. This turned out to not be the case after running one.

#22 ·
I would suggest that you get the engine running and operate the governor to see for sure it's operating range. Otherwise your basing your decisions on guess which is never a good thing. People told me the engines out of APU's had fixed governors. This turned out to not be the case after running one.
Yeah, that's been my experience, too, but you never know.

I got the engine running just after I bought it, but didn't want to disturb the fuel pump settings as I originally bought it to be used for a genset. My neighbor is an electrician and he's going to (someday) help me check out the generator to see if it's still good.

Smitty

Reactions: Cvans
#23 ·
So, I came across a guy with a DewEze ATM72 mower for sale--this is the one with the inline drive wheels and outrigger wheels that allows you to mow steep slopes, etc.

It has a 20 hp Lister-Petter LPA-3 engine in it...3 cylinder, air cooled, similar to a Deutz, and quite heavy for it's size--290 lbs dry weight. It's over 100 lbs heaver than the Kohler K582, and almost twice the weight of a Mitsubishi L3A (engine only).

Still, it may be a better engine for my application since I won't have to deal with a radiator, plumbing, etc.

Anyone have any experience with the L-P engines?

Smitty

#26 ·
So, I came across a guy with a DewEze ATM72 mower for sale--this is the one with the inline drive wheels and outrigger wheels that allows you to mow steep slopes, etc.

It has a 20 hp Lister-Petter LPA-3 engine in it...3 cylinder, air cooled, similar to a Deutz, and quite heavy for it's size--290 lbs dry weight. It's over 100 lbs heaver than the Kohler K582, and almost twice the weight of a Mitsubishi L3A (engine only).

Still, it may be a better engine for my application since I won't have to deal with a radiator, plumbing, etc.

Anyone have any experience with the L-P engines?

Smitty
Those are good engines, and run forever.

Those are a little larger engine than say a D600, and so on.
I wonder if it will fit without too much tractor fabrication?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.