Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Case 444 Stalling Out -- Any Ideas on How to Fix?

case 444 kohler k321 overheating vapor lock

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,698 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 10:03 PM

Hi All

Haven't been around for quite a while.. did you miss me???  (just kidding)

Anyway,  I have a 70s vintage Case 444 that I use for plowing my garden and pulling an aerator on a 3 PH. 

The engine is a little tired, but always starts right up, and only blows blue smoke when it's warm and put under sudden load.

I've used it twice to aerate, and both times the darn thing started acting fuel starved after about 45 mins to an hour of running.  It finally stalls and won't start until I wait for an hour or so.

The fuel pump is original, and leaks, a little so I'll have to change that, but I'm wondering if the carb or fuel line is vapor locking.  Was this a common issue with these machines?

What can be done about it.

Thanks,

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, April 13, 2017 - 12:03 AM.

• boyscout862, 637Yeoman and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#2 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 1,548 Thanks
  • 1,254 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 10:16 PM

Not sure if this is right or not, maybe a weak coil that cuts out after gettin hot?

Ive had the same problem with my Yeoman, not so much the 'fuel starvation' as you put it, but the not starting,

And yes Utah, i missed you :rolling:

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,843 Thanks
  • 8,682 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 10:51 PM

You need to test the spark when it dies. First thing I would do is loosen the gas cap before you start it. Check the cylinder cooling fins for dirt and blockages. Whenever you get stumped on an engine, check the Troubleshooting section in the manual. Good Luck, Rick

• Utah Smitty and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#4 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,698 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted April 13, 2017 - 12:04 AM

You need to test the spark when it dies. First thing I would do is loosen the gas cap before you start it. Check the cylinder cooling fins for dirt and blockages. Whenever you get stumped on an engine, check the Troubleshooting section in the manual. Good Luck, Rick

I'll check the spark, but I think it's fuel related, because it will try to keep running if I close the choke on it...

Smitty

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,432 Thanks
  • 7,237 posts

Posted April 13, 2017 - 05:26 AM

I guess you could try a shot of starting fluid when it stalls to verify a fuel issue or if you shut of the fuel line and then  drain/open the bowel to see if there's fuel in it  

#6 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,843 Thanks
  • 8,682 posts

Posted April 13, 2017 - 05:41 AM

I'll check the spark, but I think it's fuel related, because it will try to keep running if I close the choke on it...

Smitty

It is the time of year when gas cap vents get plugged so, try loosening the cap for ventilation. If it stays running , try to clean the caps' vent. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, April 13, 2017 - 05:42 AM.

#7 ssmewing ONLINE  

ssmewing
  • Member No: 53022
  • 41 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted April 13, 2017 - 07:37 AM

If the fuel pump leaks fuel it leaks air.

Change the fuel pump and the fuel line tank to carb and use an online filter. Use the proper fuel line spring clamps, no hose claims.

Removing the fuel tank is very easy. Take off the rear panel over the axle and both fenders, done.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

#8 ssmewing ONLINE  

ssmewing
  • 41 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted April 13, 2017 - 07:39 AM

An easy check to see if you are getting fuel is to remove the fuel line to the carb. Empty, no fuel.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

#9 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 558 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted April 13, 2017 - 07:48 AM

I had a similar problem on my cc106. Started to loose power after mowing for a while, pull on choke and seemed to want to run but finally died, wouldn't restart. Turned out to be debris in the fuel tank. Good Luck. Check the easy stuff first.

#10 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 863 Thanks
  • 687 posts

Posted April 13, 2017 - 09:10 AM

I have what sounds like the same thing with my 7012 Simplicity with a Kohler engine. After it runs about 1/2 hour it will be puffing smoke out of the crankcase breather. The hotter it gets the more smoke till it dies.

#11 ssmewing ONLINE  

ssmewing
  • 41 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted April 13, 2017 - 12:38 PM

I have what sounds like the same thing with my 7012 Simplicity with a Kohler engine. After it runs about 1/2 hour it will be puffing smoke out of the crankcase breather. The hotter it gets the more smoke till it dies.

I have fixed and rebuilt enough of the K-Series engines to pretty much know almost all about them. Not one of them leaves my hands not starting in about 1-2 seconds, more if the first start of the season.

The smoke coming from you crankcase vent is piston blow by. You are a season or more past needed a complete engine overhaul. The smoke is combustion byproduct getting past your rings and bore.

The original poster just needs to do maintenance.

#12 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 9,731 Thanks
  • 5,423 posts

Posted April 13, 2017 - 12:57 PM

OK Smitty-  Do this:

Close our left eye, Stand on your right foot and pull the spark plug..  Open your left (& right) eye and read the plug..  If it's nasty try a new one (cheap fix and it can't hurt if it's blowing oil)..  If it were fuel the problem would be persistent unless there is derbis or obstruction in the tank but-  why would it always happen @ the same interval..  Coil gets my vote and while you're at it stand on your left foot, close your right eye and check the points for gap and condition as well..  

:smilewink:

• KennyP and Utah Smitty have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: case 444, kohler k321, overheating, vapor lock