6 replies to this topic

#1 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 2,313 Thanks
  • 1,733 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 08:33 PM

Someone dropped off a Case 446 today. Not terrible shape. He's having wiring issues and wanted to know if I'd fix it. Sure. Wiring is fairly simple to me. Won't start with key. Jump some wires and it cranks and starts. Ignition is brand new. He thought that was the problem. So I pull the switch. Check continuity on all poles. Everything checks great. Check continuity on all wires. Whole system checks good. Proceed to hook things up like they should. Nothing.

Here's the deal. I have power at the switch. When I hook a wire to the start terminal and crank the switch I get nothing. Almost like I don't have power at the switch. It'll even drop power at other poles. BUT, if I pull the switch and use jumper wires and check for voltage. It checks with flying colors.

Almost as if a load causes a breakdown in the switch. That's new to me. Never seen that happen. Any thoughts? I might pull a known good switch and check it. Also when I use jumpers to activate the solenoid, it also passes with flying colors.

Eric

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
  • rustyoldjunk, boyscout862 and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#2 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 651 Thanks
  • 530 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 08:42 PM

I would think that the switch has corroded terminals inside that would pass the continuity test but can't supply the amperage for the system.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
  • MH81, boyscout862, dropped82 and 4 others have said thanks

#3 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• 2,313 Thanks
  • 1,733 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 08:44 PM

New revelations!

I now took the constant power with the meter hooked verifying voltage and touched it to the trigger post on the solenoid. That should crank the tractor. Voltage dropped to 0. A big fat 0.00. Is it possible the sign of load makes the ammeter drop out causing the break in power? I have yet to see any response from the needle with all i have done. Plus it's wires in series, as are 90% of our machines with the constant power of the ignition.

Eric

• 637Yeoman said thank you

#4 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• 2,313 Thanks
  • 1,733 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 08:45 PM

I would think that the switch has corroded terminals inside that would pass the continuity test but can't supply the amperage for the system.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

I would think the same but I also hooked up a known good switch and it did the same thing. Plus the culprit switch is 3 days from the parts shelf. It's new. I'm gonna bypass the ammeter and see what happens.

Eric

• 637Yeoman said thank you

#5 64fleetside OFFLINE  

64fleetside
  • Member No: 77612
  • 189 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 09:07 PM

Clean all battery/solenoid etc connections. Weird stuff happens when there's a bad connection.
Just saying.
  • boyscout862, dropped82 and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#6 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• 2,313 Thanks
  • 1,733 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 09:16 PM

So....bypassed the meter. It's the only thing I haven't really tested and sure enough. Once it sees any kind of load, it breaks power. I'm guessing something in there is going bad. I have a few and wired another one in series bypassing the one on the tractor. Everything works exactly as it should. The replacement meter shows charge. Unfortunately, I have to move the hydraulic tank to get the old one out. May be easier said than done. Wish me luck.

Eric

• MH81, KennyP, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#7 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,963 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted April 13, 2017 - 06:38 AM

Good sleuthing.
Yeah, things are tight in there. 10 lbs in a 5 lb box...
  • dropped82 said thank you