13 replies to this topic

#1 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 1,548 Thanks
  • 1,254 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 04:38 PM

Why does it seem like everything has to go wrong all at the same time.

After buttoning up 'ol smoky, the bgb started to leak oil.

I know why, and fixed it sorta.

The gasket was already crushed from being on, and now it is just a thin piece of paper.

Couldnt find my gasket sealer, so i put it back on normal.

Then, dad built a brinly hitch for 'ol smoky, and i put the plow on.

Last fall, i dumped a ton of leaves on the garden, and didnt spread them around.

Impossible to plow, as they bunched up and clogged the plow, and the coulter didnt cut them, but i tried it anyway, just to try and break them up some.

THEN, i got the disc out, horrible idea, something went wrong with the lift, *i had 40 ish pounds on it to cut the leaves some* and the already heavy disc, then decided to lift, after pushing with all my might, and im a pretty strong feller, and my elbow buckled.

My arm went numb, and it hurts to move, but isnt broke.

Im gettin sick of that tractor, for many reasons, and on top of the bgb problems, the motor has started to knock and the valves sound like a tap dancer.

So, im gonna have to rebuild that motor or get another one.

Not blaming the tractor, as its 54 years old, and its going to have problems, but im really losing my patience with it

Thats enough rambling,

Keep 'em cranking, 

Thanks, Luke

Edited by 637Yeoman, April 12, 2017 - 04:39 PM.

• Bolens 1000, Alc, hamman and 5 others have said thanks

#2 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,008 Thanks
  • 5,871 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 05:00 PM

Sorry to hear about your problems, BUT, welcome to the world of old tractors. They don't all have problems like that but they all are capable of it. On the other  hand you can have a lot of problems with a new one also. I can just about guarantee you that in 5 years you won't even remember this so hang in there and enjoy what your learning.  

• Alc, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 4 others have said thanks

#3 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,802 Thanks
  • 6,035 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 05:25 PM

Sounds like part of your problems are self inflicted.  Replacing the head with no new gasket?  Leaving piles of leaves on the garden and expecting a plow or disk to spread them?  Overloading the disc and hydraulic lift mechanism?  Can't blame any of that on the tractor but know how you feel. 

Fought with a S14D with no fire for over a month and several hundred $$$ in parts.  Finally junked the engine and unloaded the tractor.  Best day in a long time when I saw that thing going down the road.  Life has been much better since.  Some times a certain tractor is just not meant to work right for us. 

• Alc, KennyP, Cvans and 3 others have said thanks

#4 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • 1,548 Thanks
  • 1,254 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 05:45 PM

Sounds like part of your problems are self inflicted.  Replacing the head with no new gasket?  Leaving piles of leaves on the garden and expecting a plow or disk to spread them?  Overloading the disc and hydraulic lift mechanism?  Can't blame any of that on the tractor but know how you feel. 

Fought with a S14D with no fire for over a month and several hundred $$$ in parts.  Finally junked the engine and unloaded the tractor.  Best day in a long time when I saw that thing going down the road.  Life has been much better since.  Some times a certain tractor is just not meant to work right for us. 

I have a couple things id like to clear up, i put the cover of the bgb, the back plate, on with the gasket, its just that it is very thin, not that i didnt put one on it.

Yes, the leaves were my fault, im not saying that they werent.

Not expecting it to spread the leaves, i know that its not capable of doing it, 

My tractor does not have hydraulics, it has manual lift.

Just got mad, im sure ill get over it in a week or two, maybe, maybe i need a different tractor, maybe i dont, only time will tell

Thanks, Luke

Edited by 637Yeoman, April 12, 2017 - 06:02 PM.

• rustyoldjunk, Cvans, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,843 Thanks
  • 8,682 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 07:25 PM

Luke, life is constantly learning. As long as you wake up alive the next morning, it isn't too serious. On the other hand joint injuries can be painfull and last a long time if you don't take care of them. I take asprin for my wrists and it helps alot. I also have to pace myself to avoid pain.

It may be a good idea to pickup some gasket material so that you can cut your own. The auto stores are very expensive for the sheets of gasket material but I have gotten some good deals at swap meets. Do remember that some gaskets are also shims. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, April 12, 2017 - 10:06 PM.

• Cvans, oldedeeres and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#6 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,638 Thanks
  • 4,702 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 07:29 PM

Luke,  I missed that. 

Could you do it again?

:poke:

• rustyoldjunk, oldedeeres and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#7 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,276 Thanks
  • 1,040 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 07:35 PM

Sounds like you need a new tractor. If your old tractor rises your blood pressure its not worth it. Don

• Alc and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#8 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • 1,548 Thanks
  • 1,254 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 07:43 PM

Luke, life is constantly learning. As long as you wake up alive the next morning, it isn't too serious. On the other hand joint injuries can be painfull and last a long time if you don't take care of them. I take asprin for my wrists and it helps alot. I also have to pace myself to avoid pain.

It may be a good idea to pickup some gasket material so that you can cut your own. The auto stores are very expensive for the sheets of gasket material but I have gotten some good deals at swap meets. Do remember that some gaskets are aslo shims. Good Luck, Rick

I would cut my own gasket, i do it all the time for carbs and things that dont get hot.

But there is one problem, the gaskets for the bgb's need to get pressed, so there is and indent, about .5 cm deep that go in little grooves around the bgb, to keep oil in. Not too sure how much a gasket would cost, but ill look into it, sorry about your wrist, mine always pops and cracks, but not painfully, good luck with that and stay safe.

Luke,  I missed that. 

Could you do it again?

:poke:

As much as i would like to, im going to have to pass :D  :rolling:

Sounds like you need a new tractor. If your old tractor rises your blood pressure its not worth it. Don

Im looking into a bigger one with hydraulics, but 'ol smoky means to much to me to completely irradicate it, long story, and it was my first large frame, which might not mean much to alot of people, but it does to me

• MH81, Cvans, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#9 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Validating
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,688 Thanks
  • 1,148 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 08:18 PM

Luke, I put shredded leaves on my garden in the fall, but only in 2" layers because any more and they ball up in front of the gearbox on the Troybilt Horse. Leaves are best plowed/tilled under in the fall so they can decompose over the winter.

Mike

• boyscout862, propane1 and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#10 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 863 Thanks
  • 688 posts

Posted April 13, 2017 - 08:37 AM

Luke

If you had gone over those leaves with your mower it would have chopped them up some and then you could have run your plow through them. I always go over my leaves first with one of the tractors and them the ZT mulcher and they are chopped really fine.

#11 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 9,731 Thanks
  • 5,423 posts

Posted April 13, 2017 - 09:54 AM

Popped a tendon from the sounds of it..  Been there- done that!

Sounds like time to walk away for a while..  

• 637Yeoman said thank you

#12 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • 1,548 Thanks
  • 1,254 posts

Posted April 13, 2017 - 03:40 PM

Popped a tendon from the sounds of it..  Been there- done that!

Sounds like time to walk away for a while..  

Yep, sounds like that to me too.

I got a new 'project' on my hands, its for school, so now i have a real excuse to go out in the barn!

#13 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,957 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted April 13, 2017 - 05:28 PM

My AC b112 is a love hate relationship.
Does OS have the varispeed too? Just what you need running those simplicity units is one more effing handle and my vari doesn't like to adjust right. Miserable sob.

However, it's got tons of power and the tiller is the best I own... so, it stays for now.
  • KennyP, Cvans and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#14 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • 1,548 Thanks
  • 1,254 posts

Posted April 13, 2017 - 05:55 PM

My AC b112 is a love hate relationship.
Does OS have the varispeed too? Just what you need running those simplicity units is one more effing handle and my vari doesn't like to adjust right. Miserable sob.

However, it's got tons of power and the tiller is the best I own... so, it stays for now.

No sir it does not, i did have a 3210 that  got for 60 bucks.

Started out buyin a snowplow from him, then started talkin about ag tires, he said he would give me them for free, and they were in great shape.

Started looking at the tractor, he threw out a price, and i bought it.

That had the variable speed.

Great design, and works well, Buuttt, the original belt broke, and a new one is 80 bucks, so i cheaped out, and bought one on amazon for 9$ that was 1/8" narrower, and 1/2" longer.

So, i got it to work, but it didnt go as fast as it could, and the belt had a tendency to slip under load.

Ended up trading it to a friend of ours for a wd motor that spun a rod, and chucked it outside the block.

We got it because i saved an old allis wc, 1938 unstyled that had a bad motor.

Mice got into the bore, and well, peed in it, causing #4 piston to be junk, and a very seized engine.

So we now have parts and are working on putting it together.

Another thing, it had a brand new manifold, which is well worth more than the tractor we traded it for.

• MH81 and Cvans have said thanks