• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 922 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 11:10 AM

Any one ever make repairs to the fiberglass seat pan  over the fuel tank?

What material did you use?

:D    Al

#2 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,880 Thanks
  • 2,487 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 12:16 PM

Not yet but I have 2 that need either that or replacement with newer metal versions.

#3 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 547 Thanks
  • 487 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 01:04 PM

If you are just repairing some cracks, some fiberglass resin & mesh on the underside should fix you up.  Make sure you rough-up the surrounding areas so it will stick.  If there are chunks missing, that would be a little more involved.  I've had a few machines come through my garage with fiberglass pans and never had to repair one.  I have a S-14-G that has a nice fiberglass pan.  The rest of my tractors have metal pans.  Good luck!

Billy

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,356 Thanks
  • 5,784 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 05:38 PM

Fiberglass resin with the cloth mat works well.  Drill holes through the broken piece so the resin can bond through and attach good.  Smooth plastic of fiberglass area can be roughed up with the corner of a wood chisel by making numerous gouges along with the small holes.

#5 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,880 Thanks
  • 2,487 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 05:54 PM

Yeah, I have played with fiberglass resin and cloth/mat more than I care to admit over the years, and I know I have a lot of that ahead of me between my S16h and my NH S14h... I also have a 3rd fiberglass pan from my parts unit tat also needs fiberglass help as well... fortunately this handiwork won't be seen from the topside but will be a nasty mess on the underside.... I'm thinking of sandwiching a sheet metal plate on the back wall in the hinge area between old fiberglass and laying in the new stuff....

back in high school one of my 1st jobs was to help a guy that had a fiberglass repair shop-- he made molds and everything with the stuff... my next job was at a go cart track and guess who got to fix all the busted up bodies over the winter to get them ready for the new karting season.... sticky nasty gooey mess..... air pockets are the worst thing you can have when dealing with fiberglass.... air pockets= weak spots and repairs that don't hold up.

#6 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,355 Thanks
  • 1,804 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 09:28 PM

Used what I had around, Bondo and mesh tape for drywall, feathering, sanding...Not perfect, but worked out. What does your damage look like?

IMG_8785.JPG 08-06-13_1729.jpg

08-06-13_2236.jpg fndr 10.jpg

Good luck

• Alc and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#7 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8592
  • 3,317 Thanks
  • 906 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 10:00 PM

As stated resin with cloth/mat on the underside especially if pieces missing, nitrile gloves and a wide Hondo spreader to get the air bubbles out, on finish side fill in any voids with this stuff
http://www.tptools.c...5.html?b=d*8176
Very good product been around for ever, worked a summer in high school at Molded Fiberglass who made the Tri Hull fiberglass boats and once upon a time corvette panels, if a piece got damaged coming out of the mold (depending on degree of damage) the vast majority of the time we repaired it with Tiger Hair.
Have been using it every since , going on 40 yrs. Zero complaints.
  • Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#8 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 922 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted April 13, 2017 - 06:03 AM

Thanks!!!! I don't have pictures at this time.

Main one is a S16H with just cracks with a tiny missing piece maybe, but also have a NH S12 that has a good chunk missing.

:D  Al

#9 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,880 Thanks
  • 2,487 posts

Posted June 24, 2017 - 03:04 PM

Bumping a post in the Ariens heading because it has been so slow lately.....

#10 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,880 Thanks
  • 2,487 posts

Posted July 29, 2017 - 09:04 PM

now that you mention it... did the lay-up work today on the "less-bad" of my 2 fiberglass pans I have here at the moment.... waiting for it to cure the rest of the way, it's dry to touch but wanna be sure it's hard throughout before I start sanding on it... cracked on right side (standing behind it looking towards tractor) along edge of hinge and just up into horizontal flat section... few srress cracks just starting along other side almost same place....

the other one is completely missing the part of the back  between the tail lights where the hinge bolted to, that one will be a bit more involved.  That one has had some repairs (not too badly done either) around the front side of the "fender" portion.... wasnt a lot of missing material there, basically the high ridge where the fender transitions into the tunnel cover portion...    but needs alot of work on that back edge. 

I haven't played with fiberglass resin in a while, and today it showed!   

I showed my son how to mix it for a project he did a few years back....  last previous time to today's work.   but this time I bought a whole gallon of resin, and actually measured it out and counted the drops of hardener  like the can said....  I usually "eyeball" it.  must not have mixed it completely, what I used came out good and hardened up about as fast as expected  but about 1/2 of it gelled/hardened in the pan and wow that pan was HOT.... I used a disposable foil loaf (baking) pan. that I can now use again. (NO it won't be used to bake in again, ha ha)

what I used on the body never did heat up as it cured....  thus the thought of not being totally mixed... but it "did" cur,e and pretty evenly too.   what was left popped out of the pan into the garbage can just before it was totally hard... still kind of "jelly" when I dumped it... seemed like I was able to use "just" enough for what I needed before the rest hardened in the pan, I was hurrying towards the end, had to have someone else cut me a few pieces of cloth while I worked the glass and cloth to beat the hardening of what was in the pan....

at least 1 hood that needs some work along the front corner-edge, I threw away my worst one.  I have  a real nice spare at the moment that will probably be switched out with the one with the screwed up corner for now..... and my NH needs some reinforcement on the hinge area too.... starting to crack.

have a lead on a GT17 that is blown up that may be available "for parts" soon.... metal pan!!!  I'll be using the pan from that one on my S16 instead of this newly repaired one IF I get it....

next question... "close match" (don't need to be exact) on paint.... I see that Valspar has both an AC orange and a Husquvarna orange.... seemed like when I was looking at these in the store and trying to decide, that I was 'off" with either choice, like Ariens orange would split the difference.... I got the brighter looking (at least going by the cap which is a dangerous assumption, I know) AC orange....  I was thinking safety orange should be close.

They had some hi heat orange in the next aisle that is good it said for headers and such for a whole $1.88 a can on clearance but from what I remember of high heat paint, is that it is dull with almost no sheen, so I put that back and passed.... mine are as far from "show" machines as one can get anyhow so close is good enough... gonna paint the whole fender pan anyhow, not like I am trying to "blend" in a section....

• KennyP said thank you

#11 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,880 Thanks
  • 2,487 posts

Posted July 29, 2017 - 09:09 PM

and the way I do fiberglass repairs is kinda like I remember doing paper mache in grade school.... cut strips and overlap them, brush some resin on the base, 1st then dunk the 1st couple in the resin and daub them down with the brush... and from there daub the next strips into what I already have wet on the pan... just gotta be careful that you don't have any whitish looking spots, that is air pockets and/or cloth that didn't get completely saturated....  either will make for weak spots.....

if bad enough you can grind them down flat and smooth (but roughed up)  and lay some more down once it cures.

• KennyP said thank you

#12 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,880 Thanks
  • 2,487 posts

Posted July 30, 2017 - 10:14 PM

ugh... more fiberglass stickiness/nastiness today as I started on the other fender pan and continued on the one I started to fix yesterday....

• KennyP said thank you

#13 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,880 Thanks
  • 2,487 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:28 PM

2 hours of solid sanding fiberglass dust today... hoo boy!    got my 2 Ariens pans coming along, then onto the NH fender pan... that one is worse than my "nice" one and not as bad as the one I got from the "parts" tractor... lots of fiberglass mat and resin, ( 3 rounds of that) presently on 2nd round of applying long strand fiberglass "jelly"... 1 more round of that yet to come then the  filling of pits etc can start with regular Bondo, probably 2 rounds of that, then hand sand and prime...  and THEN back to square 1 with the NH body.