5 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,141 Thanks
  • 6,240 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 09:31 AM

Garden had dried out enough till a strip up to get some things planted before the rains this evening.  Got the 1256 with the rear mounted tiller out, fired the tiller up and made about 5 passes about 30 ft long.  Ground was fall plowed and disc earlier this year so tilled easy.  1/2 lap on each pass but only took about 10 min and was done.  Nice to have the bigger equipment but buy does it raise havoc with the seat time.  Was just getting settled in good when I was headed to the shed.

• LPBolens, hamman, blackjackjakexxix and 5 others have said thanks

#2 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 7,489 Thanks
  • 2,465 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 09:46 AM

Glad you got some seat time - maybe you should have made a couple of extra passes just to make sure things were working right.

Time to stake out a larger garden?

• KennyP, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,187 Thanks
  • 8,898 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 01:52 PM

Make the garden bigger. I've only done it twice, in 19 years but, I will have to do it again soon: spread 2" of manuare composte over the lawn and till it in 3x. Then york rake it out and finish with a good hand raking. Smoothes the yard and makes the lawn healthy again. Good Luck, Rick

• chieffan and 29 Chev have said thanks

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,141 Thanks
  • 6,240 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 05:14 PM

Have a lot of garden left to do yet but wanted to get 1/2 row of radish, 1/2 row of lettuce and a row of onions in before it rained again. Rows are about 30' long.  On our way back to the house when the mist started.  Plenty early yet for this area.

Make the garden bigger. I've only done it twice, in 19 years but, I will have to do it again soon: spread 2" of manuare composte over the lawn and till it in 3x. Then york rake it out and finish with a good hand raking. Smoothes the yard and makes the lawn healthy again. Good Luck, Rick

How can you have any lawn left after 3 X tilling, York raking and hand raking?  Are you meaning garden or redoing your lawn?

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • 12,187 Thanks
  • 8,898 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 07:12 PM

See below.

Edited by boyscout862, April 12, 2017 - 10:13 PM.

#6 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • 12,187 Thanks
  • 8,898 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 10:12 PM

Have a lot of garden left to do yet but wanted to get 1/2 row of radish, 1/2 row of lettuce and a row of onions in before it rained again. Rows are about 30' long.  On our way back to the house when the mist started.  Plenty early yet for this area.

How can you have any lawn left after 3 X tilling, York raking and hand raking?  Are you meaning garden or redoing your lawn?

For redoing the lawn. The yard was brand new the first time I tilled it and the soil was extremely poor. I should explain a few things. My soil is extremely bony. I had to screen all the soil I excavated for the cellar hole and the yards around the house. My screen takes off everything 3"+. Only about 1/2 the soil goes through the screen and 1/2 goes off as tailings. Many of the rocks are 2'+. The much bigger ones I pick out individually. The biggest was about 6' and broke an idler axle(2" dia.). My tailings piles totalled about 3000 cubic yards when I gave up on landscapping 19 years ago. It isn't done but liveable. To get a lawn, I york raked the yard with my Ford 2000 and its 8' rake. I then spread about 2" to 3" of aged cow manure over the whole yard and tilled it in with my old front tine tiller. I used the Ford to york rake again and then my MagnaTrak with a 4' York Rake. After that I hand raked the whole area, seeded and rolled it.

It came up well but after several years the areas around the leaching field settled uneven. I also plow the lawn in winter to let the deer feed on the lawn. I sometimes have dandelions in January. When I plow, I sometimes take up big divots(some bad ones this year). To level the lawn I figure that it is worth it to till in manure and regrade it all. It will depend on my ability to get manure. I have an E-Z Dumper for my pickup and can get manure for free 3 miles away but the frame on the truck and its body need work.

I guess that I should take lots of pics when I do this. Around here, rocks are known as "Connecticut Potatoes" there is always a new crop each spring. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, April 12, 2017 - 10:16 PM.

• KennyP said thank you