• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bkruger81 OFFLINE  

bkruger81
  • Member No: 86450
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted April 11, 2017 - 07:16 PM

So I bought my first Ingersoll last year for crazy cheap, came with an Ingersoll M48 (60") mower deck and plow. I recently was able to get a little work done to and she runs like a dream, near perfect compression for the onan b48m and strong hydraulics. I guess my questions really lye with this ez clutch, I've watch that damn youtube video on the adjustment for it so many times could adjust it in my sleep however no matter what I do once I start to mow the deck it's self bogs down like the clutch is slipping, i'm really thinking about getting the shaft machined and going to an electric PTO clutch but I really don't want to have to go threw all of that work. also why is it when trying to look for parts no one really just comes out and says what it is? it's all part numbers, yes I get that's how we can tell what the part actually is but my parts book doesn't match any of the parts I've been looking for. this machine also has a different instrument cluster where it looks like I have a set of indicator lights on the upper right hand side and my choke and throttle are at a slant on the same side. someone at some point painted over this and I would like to get it replaced. oh and one last thing. is there anyone here From upstate NY that knows or runs a shop for this machines? be helpful to know a few places to turn to if I need answers. thanks for looking at this post in advance.

#2 ssmewing OFFLINE  

ssmewing
  • Member No: 53022
  • 40 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted April 11, 2017 - 07:41 PM

The friction disk may have come loose. It's supposed to be bonded to the pulley.

Parts manuals are matched by the serial number to get the correct parts.

salempwr.com has parts manuals and sells parts.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,480 Thanks
  • 8,484 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 08:42 AM

Welcome to GTT. You have a great tractor there. Have you searched our Manuals Section for the manuals that you need? I am not familiar with your machine but as a generic suggestion I would carefully check the deck for a problem in the bearings or the spindles. Good Luck, Rick

#4 ssmewing OFFLINE  

ssmewing
  • 40 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 09:08 AM

You would have to have either an RM60 OR RM48 deck. The number in the number is the deck width. These decks are very different from the left hand discharge decks. If you have a RM60 deck, they came with timing cogs that were composite. Those are going to fail, they all do. The replacement code are steel.

#5 ssmewing OFFLINE  

ssmewing
  • 40 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 09:10 AM

You most likely have a 48" deck and it is left hand discharge.

#6 ssmewing OFFLINE  

ssmewing
  • 40 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 09:12 AM

If the deck slows and the engine doesn't, your clutch is not right.

#7 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 2,081 Thanks
  • 1,599 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 09:48 AM

Do you have the clutch service manual. That'll give the exclusive breakdown for the parts you need. It took me about 6 tries or so to get the clutch right. I finally gave up on the feeler gauge and went for feel. I have a 226 that was adjusted perfect and made my others have the same "pop" when it engages. I know that's a terrible explanation but it worked and still does. The problem is once you adjust the gap with the big nut, torquing the smaller one seems to close it some. It's a matter of trial and error.

Other than going from a shim adjust to an EZ adjust. The clutches were pretty much the same year to year. So you can use an early 80's manual for a mid 80's machine.

Eric

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Edited by dropped82, April 12, 2017 - 09:50 AM.

#8 ssmewing OFFLINE  

ssmewing
  • 40 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 10:47 AM

The trick with the 2 nuts is you have to adjust both at the same amount as you go. The outer nut has to be just off of tight the whole way when you are adjusting it.

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#9 kencombs OFFLINE  

kencombs

• Member No: 8398
  • 21 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted April 16, 2017 - 06:05 PM

You would have to have either an RM60 OR RM48 deck. The number in the number is the deck width. These decks are very different from the left hand discharge decks. If you have a RM60 deck, they came with timing cogs that were composite. Those are going to fail, they all do. The replacement code are steel.

The 4xx series use the left hand decks , like the M48 he stated he has.  That is a 60" cut deck.\

RH decks are only for 4 digit machines.

Clutch adjustment on these is an artful science!  Or a scientific art, not sure which.

I have much better results using the 'feel the snap when engaging' method over the feeler gauge measurement. 

Once you do it, and get it working, probably after several iterations, you too will be able to replicate the adjustment by feel.

• dropped82 said thank you

#10 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 2,081 Thanks
  • 1,599 posts

Posted April 16, 2017 - 07:53 PM

The 4xx series use the left hand decks , like the M48 he stated he has. That is a 60" cut deck.\

RH decks are only for 4 digit machines.

Clutch adjustment on these is an artful science! Or a scientific art, not sure which.
I have much better results using the 'feel the snap when engaging' method over the feeler gauge measurement.

Once you do it, and get it working, probably after several iterations, you too will be able to replicate the adjustment by feel.

I couldn't agree with you more. I chucked my feeler gauge back in the tool box. Once you get the feel for the snap, then you know what to look for. It's frustrating at first.

Eric

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

#11 ssmewing OFFLINE  

ssmewing
  • 40 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted April 17, 2017 - 07:00 AM

I don't go by the snap. I check it at the end, though. I tighten both nuts until the friction disk touches the plate. I tighten and spin the pulley. Once it touches, I back it off until it is free again.