• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,809 Thanks
  • 18,053 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 11:51 AM

If you want quality, I stock the ''pepper shaker" mufflers in OEM kohler

They are heavier weight wise on the scale (thicker metal) and alot better built than the aftermarkets, made in the USA too

http://bolenspartsan...-tra10d-tra12d/

• MH81, backwoods, Sawdust and 3 others have said thanks

#17 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,431 Thanks
  • 3,285 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 08:03 PM

LilysDad,

If I might interject here about your confusion, I was also confused a little in the original post. A subtle misspell about " nice strong, quite sound", I assume it is a "nice strong quiet sound" on the Sears. Correct me if I'm wrong, just a thought.

Doug

You got it Doug...love the sound of the Sears

#18 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 819 Thanks
  • 683 posts

Posted April 14, 2017 - 10:15 PM

Agree, the OEM Kohler pepper pots sound much better than the off brand or Stens cheapo versions that are so light weight in metal they burn out quick and have poor tone to them.  The OEM original one on my Commado 8 is a Nelson pepper pot.  Sounds great at any RPM, and I have very sensative hearing due to autism.  I normaly make a pass or two when mowing to make sure the engine is running correcty, then put my noise canceling headset on.  Spent 4 hours mowing 2 yards today.  I took the muffler off and wire brushed the scale and rust off of it, then painted with high temp BBQ grill paint.  Internal baffles looked great.  The bigger 12+hp engines need more than a pepper pot, mufflers like the cub cadet or the smaller one ment for Gravelys work well if you can plumb it in correctly.  Some of the Wheel Horse Nelson mufflers work well but are getting expensive now.  Mike

• Bolens 1000, LilysDad, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#19 Bob E ONLINE  

Bob E
  • Member No: 85024
  • 112 Thanks
  • 93 posts

Posted April 18, 2017 - 08:26 AM

I'm not into stacks on small tractors either, but glass pack style "sausage" mufflers are usually better than the pepper shakers IMHO. If they are too big for the engine they won't do as much muffling, and the packing can burn out over time making them sound more like straight pipes. My pepper shakers are just quiet enough to be acceptable... I can't remember seeing any baffles in them though. I thought they worked because the small holes impede sound waves, but there are enough of them to allow enough gas to flow.

• Bolens 1000 and Sawdust have said thanks

#20 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 5,431 Thanks
  • 3,285 posts

Posted June 05, 2017 - 10:42 AM

Just a follow up on what I done. I bought a NOS Kohler pepper shaker muffler off of ebay for $17.00. It's not as noisy as the stack but still louder than the one on the Sears SS15. I was at a repurpose center looking at some old lumber for upcoming projects. I seen in their lawn & garden area a el cheapo muffler made by Arnold for $3.00. I thought what the heck I'll try it. I put it on the Bolens H16 & it sounds great!. You can buy these everywhere for about $6.00. Be careful at the Hp rating so their not too small for your engine. The one I bought has a range up to 16Hp. I put the Kohler on the MTD 990 & I like it there better than the stack I had. Thanks everyone for all the input!

• LilysDad, TAHOE and MolonLabe have said thanks

#21 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,623 Thanks
  • 9,439 posts

Posted June 05, 2017 - 11:15 AM

I'm curious to know how a shorty muffler for a Harley would work. It's the correct pipe size(1 1/2").

http://www.ebay.com/...gJXjltg&vxp=mtr

Edited by LilysDad, June 05, 2017 - 11:23 AM.

• Sawdust said thank you

#22 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 5,431 Thanks
  • 3,285 posts

Posted June 05, 2017 - 11:42 AM

I'm curious to know how a shorty muffler for a Harley would work. It's the correct pipe size(1 1/2").

It might sound pretty good & its not that expensive either. Here's one I dug up from YouTube, sounds good!

• LilysDad and My3kidsfather have said thanks

#23 Dayton_King OFFLINE  

Dayton_King
  • Member No: 68926
  • 1,005 Thanks
  • 948 posts

Posted June 05, 2017 - 05:54 PM

Gravely mufflers are the best ones in my opinion. Plus easy to modify to make it look good. Tractor is not complete yet but you can see it's a gravely muffler with 10in chrome sink drain and a flapper. Not loud and easy on the eyes

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170603_125322.jpg

• MFDAC, Sawdust and My3kidsfather have said thanks

#24 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 5,431 Thanks
  • 3,285 posts

Posted June 05, 2017 - 10:42 PM

Gravely mufflers are the best ones in my opinion. Plus easy to modify to make it look good. Tractor is not complete yet but you can see it's a gravely muffler with 10in chrome sink drain and a flapper. Not loud and easy on the eyes

That looks good, do you have a part # for that muffler.

#25 Dayton_King OFFLINE  

Dayton_King
  • Member No: 68926
  • 1,005 Thanks
  • 948 posts

Posted June 06, 2017 - 09:52 AM

Pic

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot_20170606-105205.png

• KennyP, MFDAC, Sawdust and 2 others have said thanks

#26 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 819 Thanks
  • 683 posts

Posted June 07, 2017 - 02:43 PM

The aftermarket pepper shakers are trash, thin metal and poor design to the internal baffles and spot welding.   My 1968 Wheelhorse still has its original OEM Kohler (Nelson produced) pepper shaker on it.  All I did was wire wheel off the rust/scale and repaint with BBQ grill paint.   The OEM ones(better construction and sound) can be found on ebay ect.   The local mower parts store, Maple Grove Distributing, has a small can muffler that is for the old Kohler powered Gravelys.  It was nice and quiet on a 10hp Kohler powered Case GT I used to have.   So I can recommend that muffler.    Mike

• KennyP, MFDAC, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#27 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 3,016 Thanks
  • 1,520 posts

Posted June 07, 2017 - 09:12 PM

Pic

I've had a muffler like that laying around the shop for several years, never knew what it was for! I'm going to put it on the Tecumseh 10 hp in my MF8E. Thanks for that info!

DAC

• Sawdust said thank you

#28 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 5,431 Thanks
  • 3,285 posts

Posted June 08, 2017 - 05:41 AM

I've had a muffler like that laying around the shop for several years, never knew what it was for! I'm going to put it on the Tecumseh 10 hp in my MF8E. Thanks for that info!

DAC

Let us know how you like it.
  • MFDAC said thank you

#29 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 3,016 Thanks
  • 1,520 posts

Posted June 08, 2017 - 07:47 PM

Let us know how you like it.

Hopefully I will get a chance to get it in the shop and adapt it to that engine soon!

DAC

• Sawdust said thank you