9 replies to this topic

#1 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3766
  • 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted June 12, 2011 - 02:42 PM

i got that old wheelhorse running for that lady from work. it runs great but i still have to go back, it has other issues. i think the starter solenoid is bad. turn key, will not crank only a click sound. i dont think the solenoid is passing voltage to the starter, i think its a bad solenoid. jump across the solenoid it fires right up. i had to clean the carburetor of old stale gas. also has a bad seat switch. i bypassed the seat switch, still doesnt crank with key. other issues, deck has a frozen spindle from sitting. i got it a little freed up but its still very stiff. how much for a new spindle? where do i look up parts prices and who sells the parts?? toro? also needs a flywheel screen, new fuel line, and filter. all of those are easy fixes.

deck seems to be model 05.42.m505, im new to working on wheelhorses so im not 100% sure
it seems to be a very well built machine. cast iron axle, creeper gear, all of that good garden tractor stuff. woman also has a snowblower attachment. it has sat a number of years because she cannot afford to take it to a "shop". she paid me 40 bucks to get it running and all i did was a carburetor flush. she is going to pay me an additional 200 bucks after everything is fixed. not too bad for 240 bucks. i dont mind working on it either, bringing quality back to life is the name of my game.

#2 jhn9840 OFFLINE  

jhn9840

• Member No: 10
  • 126 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted June 12, 2011 - 03:18 PM

Love see those old horses come back to life. www.partstree.com or www.toropartsdistributors.com should be able to help in your parts search. Ebay has a lot of wheelhorse parts as well. Any pics of her?

jhn9840
John

#3 Operator OFFLINE  

Operator

• Member No: 1871
  • 8 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted June 12, 2011 - 08:10 PM

There is another safety switch on the pto lever inside under the lever, micro switch and they go bad. Being an 8 spd. check the clutch pedal safety switch too! Should be up underneth.

Randy

#4 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted June 12, 2011 - 09:48 PM

clutch pedal safety switch operates. the problem with the pto switch, is when you have the seat switch hooked up and you engage the PTO engine cuts out. with seat switch bypassed the pto clutch DOES NOT cut the engine. someone explain this. i think it would indicate a bad seat switch? also, is the flywheel screen a standard kohler part or a toro part?

Edited by ad356, June 12, 2011 - 09:53 PM.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 03:44 AM

That tractor is one of the ones with the NASA looking fault light cluster isn't it? Does the seat light come on when you start it?

#6 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 04:04 AM

Sounds like you are working on a 1986 model 31-14K801 that uses a Kohler K321S-60440 with battery ignition and 3 amp unregulated charging system. The ignition is powered by the seat switch when the pto is on so the seat switch has failed.

In 1987 the M12 engine was used with magneto ignition. On these the seat switch works opposite - closed with no operator in the seat which grounds the ignition to stop it.

The mower deck model number is written like this with a dash 05-42MS05

Sounds like the wiring to the solenoid needs to be cleaned up or there is a weak switch. It is getting enough voltage to click the solenoid but not enough to slam it closed.

Garry

#7 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 08:29 AM

are the bearings in the spindle replaceable or is the spindle a sealed unit? looks like the bolts that hold the spindle in thread directly into the aluminum housing. i have found in the past that aluminum threaded into steel is bad news and that the bolt will snap off making the spindle junk. aluminum and steel like to fuse together.

#8 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 09:53 AM

ad, Yes, the bearings are replaceable. I have some in stock, and there are 2 different styles of spindles used during those years. Most had a 3/4" spindle shaft. If you take the blade off, and take off the pulley, you can remove the spindle assembly. take a picture of it and post it. I can help you get it torn apart.

#9 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 02:06 PM

i have done spindles before. my biggest concern is that it appears they are threaded into aluminum. often times steel threaded into aluminum is a bad combination and will lead to broken bolts. once the bolt breaks off your done. some have regular bolts with a nut on the end and you can you can replace the nut and bolt with a new nut and bolt without an issue.

#10 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 02:39 PM

I have been very lucky getting the spindle bolts out of the spindle housings. I soak them up really well and take my time. If you braek one off, just drill it out .and use a nut and bolt through it.