#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,359 Thanks
  • 7,747 posts

Posted April 10, 2017 - 04:14 PM

I'm always seeing the Craftsman mowers, the tinny new kind on here alot. They must make millions of those things, heh!  Husqvarna, Poulan, others all made by AYP, I guess. Other brands too, including zero-turns. All have big 20 something engines anymore, but darn things are Vertical shafts, so hard to put in just anything. Cheapy "automatic" axles, not real hydros.  This going to be the future of the hobby?  OH, and don't forget PLASTIC body's too, can't dent them back out.  Just wondering what the next generation will be working on when we hoard all the old stuff, ha! :sleep_sign:

• Bolens 1000, Newpaws493, LilysDad and 6 others have said thanks

#2 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 1,548 Thanks
  • 1,254 posts

Posted April 10, 2017 - 04:26 PM

Ive wondered that myself.

Im sure that the old ones will just become more desirable.

For instance, look at the stuff from the 1800's and early 1900's, did the people then wonder the same thing?

Im sure of it, and here we are collecting the old stuff from there generation.

Im sure the same thing will happen, with the old stuff, but it will be harder to find.

Im done rambling, just a thought

Thanks, Luke

Edited by 637Yeoman, April 10, 2017 - 04:27 PM.

• Newpaws493, oldedeeres and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#3 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 8,266 Thanks
  • 4,256 posts

Posted April 10, 2017 - 04:48 PM

If it was poor in the first place, it'll be poor in the future, no matter how "collectable, old, or antique" it becomes. Quality stuff is valuable regardless of age. I just wish they were making more good quality stuff now instead of what seems to be the trend.... "not worth fixing, buy a new one". Sorry guys, guess I'm getting cynical.  :smilewink:

• Alc, jms180, Newpaws493 and 3 others have said thanks

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,799 Thanks
  • 6,034 posts

Posted April 10, 2017 - 05:08 PM

We are being forced into a throw away society.  Everything any more is used till it gives out and buy new.  Body shops are not body shops any more.  They are replacement shops.

• grnspot110, backwoods, Newpaws493 and 3 others have said thanks

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,612 Thanks
  • 17,951 posts

Posted April 10, 2017 - 06:52 PM

I think the generational trend will continue, next things to become collectable will be the 80's and 90's machines, its all a cycle and what you grew up with and remember as a child.

I do wonder just how many of the machines made today will be around, I guess they may be someday considered rare since they are so cheaply made most probably will be in the scrap yard before people are collecting them 30+ years from now.

Definitely a different era though , Back when our GT's were made it was a big deal to own a Bolens, Cub, Case, JD ect and people cared for and cherished the quality and craftsmanship, today the average homeowner considers using a tractor an inconvenience and just wants a turn key and go machine and when it runs out of oil throw it out and get another. 

But dont get down about the hobby it will always be around, there are many younger people that are into these tractors , you tend to see more at shows every year.

• Alc, jms180, backwoods and 6 others have said thanks

#6 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,237 Thanks
  • 9,178 posts

Posted April 10, 2017 - 06:56 PM

What's stopping folks from making a homebuilt from a Toyota?

• KennyP, backwoods and MolonLabe have said thanks

#7 Mustard Tiger OFFLINE  

Mustard Tiger
  • Member No: 84537
  • 81 Thanks
  • 87 posts

Posted April 10, 2017 - 07:21 PM

When talking about the low quality of todays "garden tractors", you have to keep in mind price.  Yes, machines that sold for $3000 new in 1980 are a hell of a lot better than machines that sell for $5000 new now.  That's because $3000 in 1980 dollars is like $11,000 in today's dollars.  If you shell out that kind of money, you can still get a quality machine.  But almost nobody wants a GT now, they just want a lawn mower.  Hell, you see people do things like "upgrade" from an "underpowered" old 14 horse simplicity to a $6000 new 24 horse kubota and then are mystified why it can't get up their back yard hill when the simplicity did it just fine.

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, backwoods and 3 others have said thanks

#8 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,574 Thanks
  • 2,791 posts

Posted April 10, 2017 - 08:45 PM

What's stopping folks from making a homebuilt from a Toyota?

Hybrid batteries cost too much lol
  • oldedeeres and jimmy G have said thanks

#9 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 1,021 Thanks
  • 679 posts

Posted April 10, 2017 - 11:52 PM

Hybrid batteries cost too much lol

yep, the lithium-ion supported hydrogen generator GT'S will be very collectable with the advent of the hover-Trac,wrap driven laser wacker
  • KennyP, backwoods, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#10 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,740 Thanks
  • 5,580 posts

Posted April 11, 2017 - 07:08 AM

I Cheapy "automatic" axles, not real hydros.   :sleep_sign:

Don't forget the plastic transaxles.

A lot of these are being used up by this younger crowd making mud mowers out of them which is fine, but many of them are using some older nice GT's and cutting them up, that gets depressing.

• backwoods and jimmy G have said thanks

#11 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 1,021 Thanks
  • 679 posts

Posted April 11, 2017 - 03:19 PM

Don't forget the plastic transaxles.

A lot of these are being used up by this younger crowd making mud mowers out of them which is fine, but many of them are using some older nice GT's and cutting them up, that gets depressing.

that is a good argument for hoarding,hoarders to the rescue(from what I'm seeing the quicker the better)
  • backwoods, oldedeeres and TAHOE have said thanks

#12 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,574 Thanks
  • 2,791 posts

Posted April 11, 2017 - 08:13 PM

I'm currently fixing a newer gt for a friend with a plastic diff not a fan of the idea an to change the fluid you have to remove the axle

#13 oldiron1 ONLINE  

oldiron1
  • Member No: 43924
  • 378 Thanks
  • 247 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 09:50 AM

I believe as we're already seeing, the modern equipment by most of our definitions, being collected now because of price and availability. I can also predict that a number of the newer collectors will gravitate into the more unique, older and inherently more expensive tractors. (which happened to me.)

Yes, much of the old stuff has been collected and fewer and fewer "barn finds" are out there for the picking, but the reality is most owners of the cool old stuff aren't exactly "spring chickens" anymore and every year I see more and more estate sales which is a sad reality but reality never the less making alot of nice collector tractors become available.

At the end of the day, we're all curators preserving history for the next generation to carry on. 

Just my 2 cents anyway. Thanks, Rob

• Newpaws493, oldedeeres and TAHOE have said thanks