6 replies to this topic

#1 MidMO OFFLINE  

MidMO

• Member No: 2887
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted June 12, 2011 - 10:43 AM

Just a randon thought...

While mowing yesterday, the drag link broke from the steering box side (the "ball" disengaged from the drag link). You would think it would have held on longer than 25 years!!!:rolling:When I was looking for a way to "field dress" the broken part, I was amazed that the drag link connection is just a ball pressed halfway into a socket. Anyway, I can't really call it a weak link (no pun intended) but you would think the (hip ball/socket)steering box/drag link connection would be the same as the bolt through the ball joint found on the drag link/front spindle joint connection.

Well, the field dressing didn't work but the part is on order. I did change the drive belt while I was down there. So, when I do get the new drag link I'll be able to use 3rd, 4th and 5th gears:beerchug:. Thanks for indulging...:smile1:

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted June 12, 2011 - 11:08 AM

The PO of my LGT 165 had 'field dressed' one of those on my fwd/rev drive. Drilled a hole through just below the ball and wrapped a piece of wire over the socket. Worked pretty good, but I replaced it any way. He used wire and nails to hold everything together.:rofl2:
Had lots of spare 'parts' in the tool box.

#3 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted June 12, 2011 - 11:50 AM

The PO of my LGT 165 had 'field dressed' one of those on my fwd/rev drive. Drilled a hole through just below the ball and wrapped a piece of wire over the socket. Worked pretty good, but I replaced it any way. He used wire and nails to hold everything together.:rofl2:

Didn't have any "Duck" tape! :bigrofl::bigrofl::bigrofl:

#4 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted June 12, 2011 - 12:34 PM

It's a Ford. Bailing wire or equivalent only. Fix or repair daily, found..... and so on.

#5 MidMO OFFLINE  

MidMO

• Member No: 2887
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted June 12, 2011 - 01:51 PM

KennyP - Thats a pretty good idea, however my "field dressing" was just to keep me from pushing it to the house. It was a long uphill battle, but I got it home.

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 10:19 AM

Hi Kenny

I never seem to notice those sloppy repairs when I am buying a tractor. They always hide somehow only to reveal themselves when I get it home! Some people are very ingenious at using what they have to repair a problem. They also can do 10 times more damage to the machine then they save by not repairing it properly.

#7 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted June 23, 2011 - 04:19 AM

JD, just got to looking thru subscribed threads and saw you post. Yeah, you find all kinds of 'repairs'. I knew this one had lots of nails in place of pins when I bought it, but too excited with getting the whole mess for small change. I'm still finding some things, even after taking the sheet metal off and painting it. LOL