wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 12:06 AM

Ok after reading manual... I always read the manual first! The "Retard" position as I read it, is to slow the tractor from freewheeling down a hill or maybe offloading from the trailer for example. But is the tractor suposed to actually have powered movement in a real slow motion while in the retard position? Is that position something like a deep under gear? Or is it only for hold back? Mine does not have any power to move the tractor in that position. And I did get the manual downloaded so I can completely read it now thank you so much. Im in the Bitterroot Valley by the way.

On the models with no holding valve you use the retard position to "stick it" to the hill by leaving it in "retard" the opposite direction you are traveling. At least that is my understanding. If I am wrong I am certain to get flack in the morning.

#17 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 01:20 AM

Welcome to GTtalk the home of the GOOD OL BOYS, Join us on chat at nite.

#18 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 05:32 AM

I don't have a Case but I would like to know more about this " retard" control too , hope one of the Case guys can explain how it works in the system , Al

#19 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 05:52 AM

I don't have a Case but I would like to know more about this " retard" control too , hope one of the Case guys can explain how it works in the system , Al

I'll second that. Sounds like a neat feature.

#20 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2454
  • 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 10:13 AM

The most likely reason you do not have movement in the "retard" positions is worn linkage. That valve spool has very little tolorence for wear, all the "slop" has to be removed from the linkage. When changing the oil in the hydraulic system on your tractor, DO NOT use hydraulic fluid! 20w50 is recommended by factory but people have a hard time locating it in some areas of the country. Shell Rotella 15w40 is the most popular oil for the Case/Ingersoll GT's. PM me if you have any problem locating manuals for your Case.

Edited by Billygoat, June 13, 2011 - 10:49 AM.

• montana222 said thank you

#21 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 10:32 AM

Welcome to GTtalk Montanna, sounds like everyone is pointing you in the right directions.

#22 montana222 OFFLINE  

montana222

• Member No: 4024
  • 0 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 12:21 PM

Ok now. Here we go again. There was a car wreck in front of the house last night at 11:15 and I was just about ready to make my next post when the power went out. SO I have to start over, I typed it all in and then I get data base problems,,SO I'm starting over again.I got the manual info it says. "Put the lever in these positions when a very slow speed is desired or when operating on an incline to prevent the tractor from over-riding the oil flow, and running free." So going down a hill or off loading from the trailer it should hold the tractor back, but is it suposed to have power to the wheeles for movement of the tractor on flat ground? Mine dont move in the retard position. and not sur if it holds back the tractor yet, going to have to go mountian climing.

#23 montana222 OFFLINE  

montana222

• 0 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 12:32 PM

Yes hydraulic oil is the same wieght as straight 10w, I could see that it wont work to well, maybe in the cold winter temps. But is the 10-50 more used for 70 degree temp or above? Sounds like 10-40 may be more to the climate temps in my neck of the woods? Ill have to look into slop condition, but I think I'll change out the oil first. I dont know whats in it now because I just got the tractor. And see if that will make it any better.

#24 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 01:17 PM

Welcome to GTTalk montana222
Aussiedog has you covered there.

#25 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted June 14, 2011 - 06:29 AM

:wave: montana222 Welcome to GTTalk! Glad to have you and happy that you're getting the help that you need! Hope you get it figured out! Pics would be great too. It doesn't have to be pretty LOL.Keep us posted on your progress!

#26 montana222 OFFLINE  

montana222

• 0 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 03:44 AM

I sure am likin all the help I'm gettin here, you folks are sure interested in these GT's, thanks to everbody, I am trying to get thanks posted to all of your posts. Sorry If I have missed someone. I did drain the system, IF I could get some info on that 1/4 inch drain plug for the hydro oil, It would be great> I just pulled the lines off here and there. And its been draining all day while I was at work. Im going with Rotella 15-40 for starters, why mess up a known. That way I can elemanate that question? While under there I checked out the freeplay in the linkage,,,perty sure thats not the prob. It looks good and tight. While under there I noticed that the mower deck has been hittin the lower hydro line to the drive motor. Might need a new line$$$$$$$ looks to me like? Option here is rubber hydro hose maybe?

#27 jscam OFFLINE  

jscam

• Member No: 1902
  • 21 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 06:55 AM

Montana, welcome to GTT. As to the hyd. fluid drain, if you go to the manuals section if I remember correctly, there's a pretty good picture of it there. It's a pain to get a drain pan under there with a mower deck, so, I just remove mine, makes it much easier if you have'nt done so already. The hydro line......you're talking about the steel lines? Is it leaking? If it just has a small hole in it, weld it up! Or, you can check ebay, I've seen the steel lines on there often.
  • montana222 said thank you

#28 montana222 OFFLINE  

montana222

• 0 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 11:25 AM

Its not leaking yet, a few more hits and rubs it will be,, I will weld it up when the time comes up to emergency fixin it. I was wondering if its a common prob with this tractor. Im thinking of fabin a guard from the frame to protect it from future hits. That reminds me the mower blades need replaced anyone got a good sorce for those that wont drain the bank?

#29 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2454
  • 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 01:29 PM

Once the drain plug is out of the TCV, pull the spark plug out of the engine and crank it over to speed up the process. Keep an eye on the starter temp, don't overheat it.

#30 montana222 OFFLINE  

montana222

• 0 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 03:46 AM

OK I have got the oil changed out in every thing except the motor, will do that after next warm up. I have now got "Retard" amazing what oil will do. I still need to do a bit of linkage adjusting, It works better in rewind than it does forward. But I think I can adjust that out. While the mower deck is off it looks like a good time to adjust freeplay on stearing gear. I havent heard any sorce for mower blades....? anybody? My local mower shop has no listing at all.