#1 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,789 Thanks
  • 1,421 posts

Posted April 08, 2017 - 08:07 PM

I had a real good paycheck on Friday because of extra overtime. I had been thinking about trying one of these for a long time and when the snow melted it was obvious I need a few pickup loads of gravel. I was still holding off until a "honeydo" came up this morning. My wife bought an old bathtub to make a flower bed in and I had an old copper boiler an an old pump to add to it. She was going to go get bags of planting soil but this morning she said we were getting a couple bobcat scoops so we have to take one of the pickup trucks. That and the extra money this week  made me decide to head for Harbor Freight. Walked out of there 150 bucks poorer with other various tools but this unloader was about $32 with a 20% off coupon.

This thing worked much better than I even imagined! Absolutely 2 thumbs up! it slid the 1900 pounds of dirt with no difficulty, and of course it was getting lighter all the time. I didn't get pics of dumping it in the bathtub but after it was filled and her other pots were too we still had a yard-cart load left so I loaded it and tarped it for later use.

Needless to say the MF12G is still up on jackstands and the cutting deck is still hanging on the hoist if you saw my posts in the "what did you do TO your tractor today" thread. Cable guy was here today and fixed the internet too. Maybe the problem wasn't my ancient computer!

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• Martha windmill 005.jpg
  • Unloading plant soil 006.jpg
  • Unloading plant soil 005.jpg
  • Unloading plant soil 011.jpg
  • Unloading plant soil 001.jpg
  • Unloading plant soil 002.jpg
  • Unloading plant soil 003.jpg
  • Unloading plant soil 004.jpg
  • Unloading plant soil 009.jpg
  • Unloading plant soil 008.jpg

• DH1, grnspot110, Alc and 12 others have said thanks

#2 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 5,002 Thanks
  • 5,459 posts

Posted April 08, 2017 - 08:20 PM

Do you think it would work for Firewood?

• MFDAC, boyscout862 and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks

#3 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,789 Thanks
  • 1,421 posts

Posted April 08, 2017 - 08:40 PM

Yeah Doug, especially if it is neatly stacked on it. It won't work if your pickup bed has a spray in liner, rubber mats or another type of anti-skid bed protector. I read a review that said laying cardboard on those surfaces will work. You can see it is just the width between the fenderwells so stuff can get caught in front of them  It has a 2000# rating.

DAC

• DH1, Cvans, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#4 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,315 Thanks
  • 3,241 posts

Posted April 08, 2017 - 08:42 PM

Nice job Dac on the planter. That unloader is nice, was it hard to crank.
  • MFDAC and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,822 Thanks
  • 2,413 posts

Posted April 08, 2017 - 08:54 PM

I have one of the originals (before Harbor Freight) and it is an time and back saver.

I've used mine for 1-1/2" crushed stone (PITA to shovel), mulch, firewood, stone dust, 3/4" crushed stone, and crushed shale. 

It has worked flawlessly, and worth every penny.

A plastic sheet (or cardboard as previously mentioned) under the unloader material may be helpful if the truck bed is rusty or wooden.

DAC:   I think you may not have it mounted correctly.  ....Normally, those brackets do not stick above the tailgate.  ....Look at the pic on the box, if there were no instructions in the box. 

• DH1, MFDAC, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#6 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,789 Thanks
  • 1,421 posts

Posted April 08, 2017 - 08:55 PM

Nice job Dac on the planter. That unloader is nice, was it hard to crank.

Thanks, Jim! It was much easier to crank than I expected. Still took a bit of effort and since my truck doesn't have a back bumper on it right now I couldn't strap the tailgate to it to prevent the tailgate from wanting to lift up some. I could hold the tailgate and crank with one hand.

DAC

Edited by MFDAC, April 08, 2017 - 09:01 PM.

• boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#7 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,822 Thanks
  • 2,413 posts

Posted April 08, 2017 - 08:58 PM

...was it hard to crank?

It depends on the amount of weight on the unloader.  ....The force required to crank gets easier as the load lightens.

As the crank is turned upward, the tailgate may have a tendency to lift.  ....When that happens, I relocate the handle to crank downward.

• MFDAC, boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#8 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,789 Thanks
  • 1,421 posts

Posted April 08, 2017 - 08:59 PM

I have one of the originals (before Harbor Freight) and it is an time and back saver.

I've used mine for 1-1/2" crushed stone (PITA to shovel), mulch, firewood, stone dust, 3/4" crushed stone, and crushed shale. 

It has worked flawlessly, and worth every penny.

A plastic sheet (or cardboard as previously mentioned) under the unloader material may be helpful if the truck bed is rusty or wooden.

DAC:   I think you may not have it mounted correctly.  ....Normally, those brackets do not stick above the tailgate.  ....Look at the pic on the box, if there were no instructions in the box. 

I was wondering if someone would catch that Bruce! The shape of the bracket just seemed to fit the shape of my 45 year old talgate better that way, and I didn't see any real geometric or leverage difference so I just tried it. The rounded side of the bracket fit the rounded edge of the tailgate perfectly.

DAC

• Bruce Dorsi, boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#9 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,436 Thanks
  • 8,469 posts

Posted April 09, 2017 - 06:38 AM

Nice job. I like your pickup, very few around here anymore. The copper laundry boiler is considered an antique around here. I've seen them sell for $100. That is a nice looking yard accent and probably made the wife very happy. All in all, a good Saturday for you. Thanks for the review on the unloader. I was thinking of getting one. Good Luck, Rick
  • MFDAC said thank you

#10 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 7,755 Thanks
  • 3,796 posts

Posted April 09, 2017 - 10:25 AM

That's a great tool. And your yard art looks great. And nice truck. What year, about 1970/71 ? Any pictures of the other end of the truck.

Noel
  • MFDAC said thank you

#11 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 1,128 Thanks
  • 681 posts

Posted April 09, 2017 - 10:31 AM

I have one  (load handler, bought at Canadian Tire) and have moved a lot of firewood with it. With the wood just thrown in it removes about 90% of it. I usually get about 1/2 unloaded, then the pile gets too big and I have to move the truck ahead a few feet before unloading the rest. I can usually just kick the remaining pieces it doesn't get out of the bed. I have use it for mulch, concrete rubble, garbage, manure for the garden, shavings for bedding for my wife's race horses and I forget what all else. Well worth the investment. Just a note of caution, do NOT try to walk on the mat when you have it unrolled in the bed. Don't ask me how I know.

Jim

EDIT: Nice job on the planter DAC!

Edited by CanadianHobbyFarmer, April 09, 2017 - 10:34 AM.

• DH1 and MFDAC have said thanks

#12 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 729 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted April 09, 2017 - 11:34 AM

My wife didn't like the bath tub at first but when the flowers were added she liked it then. We have a copper kettle that we dug out of my mother's basement when we getting ready to sell the house. The bail was pulling out of the copper so we made a planter out of if.

• MFDAC said thank you

#13 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,789 Thanks
  • 1,421 posts

Posted April 09, 2017 - 07:49 PM

Nice job. I like your pickup, very few around here anymore. The copper laundry boiler is considered an antique around here. I've seen them sell for $100. That is a nice looking yard accent and probably made the wife very happy. All in all, a good Saturday for you. Thanks for the review on the unloader. I was thinking of getting one. Good Luck, Rick

Thanks Rick, we have owned that truck for 38 years. It seems there are quite a few of them surviving in this area. The boilers would be considered antiques here too. This one really is in bad shape but has a long story. Mom found it in a dump back in the late 1960's still in decent shape. We found it in a field after a flood took our house in 1972 but it was smashed almost flat. we picked it up anyway and it had been stuck under our old trailer until 11 years ago when we got a new one then in a shed since. I beat it back straight best I could for this planter. Yes sir it was a good Saturday!

That's a great tool. And your yard art looks great. And nice truck. What year, about 1970/71 ? Any pictures of the other end of the truck.

Noel

Thank-you Noel! The truck is a 1972 GMC C2500. I think in Canada GMC called them a 920. Those numbers refer to it being a 3/4 ton. I will post a couple "then and now" pics here with the front.

I have one  (load handler, bought at Canadian Tire) and have moved a lot of firewood with it. With the wood just thrown in it removes about 90% of it. I usually get about 1/2 unloaded, then the pile gets too big and I have to move the truck ahead a few feet before unloading the rest. I can usually just kick the remaining pieces it doesn't get out of the bed. I have use it for mulch, concrete rubble, garbage, manure for the garden, shavings for bedding for my wife's race horses and I forget what all else. Well worth the investment. Just a note of caution, do NOT try to walk on the mat when you have it unrolled in the bed. Don't ask me how I know.

Jim

EDIT: Nice job on the planter DAC!

I appreciate the comment  Jim. It sounds like it will work great for the other stuff I want to use it for and unplanned things to come! OK I won't ask how you know that but thanks for the info----LOL!

My wife didn't like the bath tub at first but when the flowers were added she liked it then. We have a copper kettle that we dug out of my mother's basement when we getting ready to sell the house. The bail was pulling out of the copper so we made a planter out of if.

Hi Rad, I bet my wife would love to see your kettle planter if you would like to post a picture!

Well guess what? We are under a winter storm warning for tonight through tomorrow morning! it's been raining off and on all day. I built a real crude cover to maybe help her flowers survive. That's the first pic.

Second pic is our '72 GMC in 1979, the year we bought it.

Third is the same truck last year.

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• Unloading plant soil.jpg
  • PBBrown photo repair.jpg
  • camper move 004.jpg

• propane1 said thank you

#14 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 5,775 Thanks
  • 5,736 posts

Posted April 10, 2017 - 12:20 AM

Second pic is our '72 GMC in 1979, the year we bought it.

Nice looking truck and it doesn't look like it's load has gotten any lighter. Have you kept any records of how much fuel you have put through it over the years?

• MFDAC said thank you

#15 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 729 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted April 10, 2017 - 08:09 AM

Went out and got a pic of the kettle. Wife hasn't thought about what or when she will start getting flowers put in it least ways not till the 1st of May.. Here is also the C bias ply tire that I turned inside out. I offered to paint it but she said to leave it alone.

DSC_0169.JPG  DSC_0168.JPG

• MFDAC said thank you