Jump to content

Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay



Photo
- - - - -

74 Deere 112 engine rebuild Kohler K301

k301 cylinder bore rings cylinder sleeve

  • Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 augustn1 OFFLINE  

augustn1
  • Member
  • Member No: 86412
  • 29 Thanks
  • 20 posts
  • Location: southwest Michigan

Posted May 28, 2017 - 02:12 PM

Well, I haven't abandoned the rebuild or my thread here. Come to find out the wrong sleeve was delivered so he's sending it back to get the right one. I'll update more as soon as I can. Otherwise I did a lot of greasing on the linkage and all grease points. Changed transaxle oil as well. Also put new blades on the deck and scabbed some sheet metal on the rusted spots of the deck.
  • KennyP and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#32 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

    FORDoholic

  • Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 36,364 Thanks
  • 44,909 posts
  • Location: Collinsville, Oklahoma

Posted May 29, 2017 - 04:58 PM

As long a progress is made! Pics would help keep this alive!


  • TomLGT195 said thank you

#33 augustn1 OFFLINE  

augustn1
  • Member
  • Member No: 86412
  • 29 Thanks
  • 20 posts
  • Location: southwest Michigan

Posted June 04, 2017 - 07:03 PM

I scratched together a muffler today. Used mostly scrap metal and the baffles and inlet from the old muffler. 

The body is thick walled 4" grain pipe, caps made out of sheet metal and cut out with a hole saw. The baffles were two different diameters.

The outlet pipe I used was a little large in inside diameter so I cut a slot in it, clamped, and welded a new seam. I wasn't sure the size it was supposed to be original, with the shrink job it was an oblong 1 1/4". I also had a hell of a time bending it. I used heat and ended up with crimps so I stopped before I folded it and completely ruined it. It was left long on purpose, I may want to add a better elbow or cut it down when it's installed. Also did not locate the mounting tab yet. I'll do that whenever the block comes back from the shop. 

 

My welds aren't the best. It was a rush job, and was concerned about burning holes in the thin material.  I also had to repair the seams in the baffles. I had a miller mig set at about 16.7v and 287 wire feed. The grinding wheel helped the appearance. Total build time was around 4hr. 

Attached Thumbnails

  • 20170604_1402331.jpg
  • 20170604_1411361.jpg
  • 20170604_1436001.jpg
  • 20170604_1507231.jpg
  • 20170604_1535431.jpg
  • 20170604_1538341.jpg
  • 20170604_1555551.jpg
  • 20170604_1600441.jpg
  • 20170604_1605041.jpg
  • 20170604_1641421.jpg
  • 20170604_1824401.jpg
  • 20170604_1824201.jpg
  • 20170604_1824501.jpg

  • TomLGT195 said thank you

#34 augustn1 OFFLINE  

augustn1
  • Member
  • Member No: 86412
  • 29 Thanks
  • 20 posts
  • Location: southwest Michigan

Posted June 04, 2017 - 07:30 PM

Almost forgot, I also installed a 3/8-16 helicoil in the oil pan. 

Just find the right size kit, it includes the inserts, drill and tap, and installation tool. I drilled and tapped my new hole a little wacky. It should be better than stripped threads. This particular hole is one of the mounts to the motor mount so I had to have a decent anchor for the bolt.

Attached Thumbnails

  • 20170521_0941251.jpg
  • 20170604_2015241.jpg
  • 20170604_2015451.jpg






Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: k301, cylinder bore, rings, cylinder sleeve

Top