Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

I have to build a storage shed now!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Merle013 ONLINE  

Merle013

If I can't do it slow then it's not going to get done.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 74432
  • 257 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted April 05, 2017 - 09:41 AM

My father in law informed me last night that he is going to bring me all of his old mowers. His health is not what it used to be. There is a JD 120, Sears ST/16 , an old Gilson, and a few more that I will not know anything about till I get them. There is at least six tractors. Could be more. He had an old Wizard at one time. Small with about a 5hp motor I think. The good thing is my wife cannot say much since her father gave them to me and is going to help delivering them too. It will be many years before I will need another project. I promise there will be many pics to come.

• rustyoldjunk, Gtractor, hamman and 11 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,127 Thanks
  • 44,142 posts

Posted April 05, 2017 - 09:51 AM

Instant herd! Have fun!

• hamman, boyscout862, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#3 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 596 Thanks
  • 517 posts

Posted April 05, 2017 - 10:00 AM

Sounds like you have some work ahead of you!  Good score for you...sorry to hear about his health.  I always say there's going to be a helluva auction when I die!

I had to build a shed when I sold some property I was using for storage.  I had a 10'X20' built with 8' walls and a barn roof.  I built a loft in it for extra room.  I had it built on site by a company that sells/builds them.  It was about $3,600.  It was well worth the money.  I could have built it myself, but they had it done in a day.  It would have taken me weeks to build it with my limited spare time.

• old coot and Merle013 have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,847 Thanks
  • 8,688 posts

Posted April 05, 2017 - 10:12 AM

TSC had 12' x 20' Shelter Logic Garage in a Box on sale for $300 last Christmas time. You may be able to talk them into the $300 deal. I have two of them up and love them. A couple of tips: After erecting cover the entire garage with a 20' x 30' heavy duty silver tarp, over the top of the garage run ropes(3) from one side to the other with #50 weights on each side. I also tie the frame to tractors inside to give additional anchoring. Good Luck, Rick

The tarp which I got for $50, protects the $400 tarp that comes with the garage.

IMO if you are going to build a permanent garage you should build it big enough for 2 car storage or 1 car with room to work.

Edited by boyscout862, April 05, 2017 - 10:14 AM.

• Gtractor and Merle013 have said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,809 Thanks
  • 6,044 posts

Posted April 05, 2017 - 10:28 AM

Look into a pallet shed.  I built one several years ago and has worked out good.  16 X 32, 8' front and 6' back clearance.  Can usually get the pallets for free so have free walls.  Google pallet buildings and should get numerous pictures of all kind of uses for used wood pallets.

• Gtractor and Merle013 have said thanks

#6 Merle013 ONLINE  

Merle013

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 257 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted April 05, 2017 - 10:54 AM

Thanks for all the reply's. I think I will try chieffan's way. I like to build things and there are plenty of pallets for free around here. I googled pallet shed and could not believe all of the things people are using them for. Now I have to do some figuring to see how much storage I will need. The way things are going I will be adding onto it or building another one sooner or later.

• Gtractor and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 Merle013 ONLINE  

Merle013

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 257 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted September 21, 2017 - 05:12 PM

I did not build a shed. I built a 22' X 11" awning across the front of my garage instead. Got the metal for free from a friend who was remodeling his porch. The metal is actually the rain shed you hang under your porch. Works pretty good for an awning too.  :thumbs: The galvanized angle was part of a lot of metal I got at an auction for $20. Also got enough 2" angle iron to finish my 5" X 10" trailer. The three supports across the front was free on CL. Got my two sons (and even my wife) to do the labor for free. Well I did have to fix my oldest sons JD for him the other day. Oh yeah I did spend about $15 on some self tapping metal screws. I drilled holes and bolted the frame together and used the self tappers on the metal. This was my first awning but I worked about 15 years as a sheet metal mechanic working on boiler houses and about anything else you can put metal on in an industrial setting. I only have one problem. The tractors still keep coming. Might have to build another one for the basement entry on the back of the garage.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1320170.JPG
  • P1330758.JPG
  • P1330761.JPG
  • P1330762.JPG
  • P1330764.JPG
  • P1330767.JPG
  • P1330772.JPG
  • P1330774.JPG
  • P1330780.JPG
  • P1330788.JPG

• Bolens 1000, KennyP, WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#8 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,780 Thanks
  • 4,882 posts

Posted September 21, 2017 - 06:25 PM

Looks well filled, like it could have been slightly bigger. That sure is a lot of projects.
  • Merle013 said thank you

#9 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 1,690 Thanks
  • 910 posts

Posted September 21, 2017 - 07:07 PM

I love this site I get on it and my wife behind me see photos of guys with more tractors then me and boy that does well with the misses........lol 

That looks well built , should not have to worry when the wind blows. 

• WNYTractorTinkerer and Merle013 have said thanks

#10 SimplyRad ONLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 863 Thanks
  • 688 posts

Posted September 22, 2017 - 10:24 AM

Back on Mar 1 the wind took a metal 10' x 13' shed and blew it across the fence to the alley so I am in the process of putting up a 20' x 20' wood shed so I can have more room, mostly for storage so we can use the garage. Putting concrete posts in ground to keep it above water as the area like to flood in the spring and summer when we have heavy rains and it has been a wet year. Hoping to get it closed in before any snow falls. My son only has weekends to help but in the start of the school year there is XC and band.

• KennyP and Merle013 have said thanks