Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

From MH81 to the Members. (A letter I never wanted to write)

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#46 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,841 Thanks
  • 5,515 posts

Posted April 03, 2017 - 05:45 PM

Alan, Thank you for all the hard work you have put into the place.   Its hard to step away from a job you have worked hard at and help build something doing it. But from what I know you guys have been dealing with I cant blame you or any other admin or mods from doing the same thing your doing.      Looking forward to see you on the forum as a normal guy now!  :D 

Edited by wilberj, April 03, 2017 - 05:45 PM.

• Bolens 1000, MH81, Delmar and 1 other said thanks

#47 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 7,107 Thanks
  • 2,323 posts

Posted April 03, 2017 - 05:52 PM

To be fair to the representatives of Carbon Media, I think they had the best of intentions at the start. I was eager to believe the assurances that things would be even better than when George owned the site and they would be as responsive to issues as we had grown accustom to. I was willing to be a Pollyanna and I did myself and the forum no favors by not listening to the little nagging voice in my head. If I had listened to the voice or done some Googling regarding the impacts of CMG ownership... well, I would've been retired a long time ago and would've taken a lot less TUMS over the last year.

The link you posted makes for very interesting reading - thanks for sharing it.

• MH81 and MFDAC have said thanks

#48 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 3,033 Thanks
  • 2,726 posts

Posted April 03, 2017 - 06:12 PM

I'm not going to lie when I found the forum had sold I went and got a domain and hosting and have it on stand by. 

#49 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,992 Thanks
  • 1,467 posts

Posted April 03, 2017 - 06:14 PM

could someone explain why the site was sold in first place?

#50 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,714 Thanks
  • 7,423 posts

Posted April 03, 2017 - 06:15 PM

Adding my 3 cents here. It is very simple. It is difficult to do any job for free when you no longer feel like your opinion matters, or that you doing your best is what the management wants. When you love the job you do, becoming fully engrossed is not difficult, but when that engrossment causes pain when the name of the "game" changes, continuing on with no compensation for your efforts, one must cut their losses to keep their sanity.

Disclaimer: I fully support any and all decisions made by all parties involved here and admire the peaceful resignation of Alan in this situation based on a misalignment of ideas.

Thanks.
  • Bolens 1000, olcowhand, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#51 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,957 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted April 03, 2017 - 06:31 PM

could someone explain why the site was sold in first place?

The site has become more than one person could manage part time. He had a full time job AND this place. Financially and technologically, it can be straining... especially with limited time.
He was a one-man band and the director had just bought a xylophone .
George did as much research as he could, and believed that carbon media was the best chance for the forum being able to continue to grow. He was very much looking fwd to years of just being a member in a thriving healthy forum that he created.
  • Bolens 1000, olcowhand, DH1 and 6 others have said thanks

#52 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 5,072 Thanks
  • 5,484 posts

Posted April 03, 2017 - 06:45 PM

What can I say that hasn't already been said. ???  just sorry to see this happen to you and the site.

• olcowhand said thank you

#53 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,574 Thanks
  • 2,791 posts

Posted April 03, 2017 - 07:53 PM

First off thank you for every thing you've done for the forum but I've noticed suttle changes in the forum.since the sale an it's confusingly are end it had to be even worse an a mod, hopefully this will drop your bp a bit not having to worry anymore, we still will look forward to hearing from you though an good luck with what ever comes your way next.
  • olcowhand and MH81 have said thanks

#54 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 1,021 Thanks
  • 679 posts

Posted April 04, 2017 - 12:43 AM

I may not be in lockstep with the management, but it would surprise me if any direct member interaction in any but a cordial and polite light. They need you guys, membership is the goal.

I was on when you first posted this thread ,always wanting to be a supportive member I almost replied,but the knife was double edged and cut both ways,staring at the screen I couldn't believe this was happening,a hard right and connecting upper cut had scrambled my thoughts and I didn't know what to say,I still don't,so I'll say what I feel,the moderators on this site are the glue that binds,we are but pages in a chapter, held by the more giving that hold us together,the moderators make this site,they make the environment we take for granted,being a good member is easy when someone else is doing the work,the easier it is the harder there working!!!,this site is a blessing for all and a breath of fresh air in hell's fire and I give every bit of credit to the moderators,we have the best site because we have the best moderators,I can deal with numbers,that's life,the loss of a moderator of your caliber is truly painful,life has many callings and I sincerely hope this new chapter for you brings all the joy and happiness you truly deserve, your friend always Jimmy G

Edited by jimmy G, April 04, 2017 - 12:45 AM.

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, MH81 and 5 others have said thanks

#55 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Member No: 2194
  • 2,780 Thanks
  • 2,027 posts

Posted April 04, 2017 - 06:54 PM

From what I'm seeing and reading we maybe losing more good members,contributors and sponsors,good luck Alan and thanks for all the hard work

• MH81 and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#56 4tom OFFLINE  

4tom
  • Member No: 73635
  • 95 Thanks
  • 114 posts

Posted April 04, 2017 - 09:15 PM

Alan I don't know you, but I have come to rely on this forum when I have questions about my little sears lawn toy. Thank you for your past guidance and direction. The site has become a place I sometimes come to escape stress. I hope you can escape your stress and enjoy the site as a member.
  • MH81 and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#57 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 6,524 Thanks
  • 4,177 posts

Posted April 04, 2017 - 09:35 PM

So, the $20 Yearly is only used to get rid of the ad's? Can't see it as being used for Site / Server support and upgrades as the Ad's do that now.

Need to re-think my membership at both sites now. I can live with Ad's as they are everywhere and I have come to ignore them. 

• Bolens 1000, MH81 and shorty have said thanks