Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

From MH81 to the Members. (A letter I never wanted to write)

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,942 Thanks
  • 29,754 posts

Posted April 02, 2017 - 08:47 PM

POPULAR

This July, I will have been a member here for 7 years. 6 of them have been among the most enjoyable years of my life to date.
This place has been a respite from reality, a reaffirmation that I'm not the only whackjob out there, and a second home full of friends and family where I could share the days events. The Staff that I have worked with here thru 2015 were and are some of the best people I have ever had the pleasure to associate with. I have been proud to wear the logo that signified I belonged to this patchwork quilt of good people. It's to those friends and family that I address this letter.

Over the last 15 months, there has been an ongoing strife behind the scenes. The Staff here has tried tirelessly to keep the issues as little of an imposition to the members as possible. It started quietly with the sale of the site and has crescendoed to the point that I can no longer enjoy the site or the hobby because of it. It is the reason why I am now resigning as a Staff member at GTTalk, effective immediately.

To be fair to the representatives of Carbon Media, I think they had the best of intentions at the start. I was eager to believe the assurances that things would be even better than when George owned the site and they would be as responsive to issues as we had grown accustom to. I was willing to be a Pollyanna and I did myself and the forum no favors by not listening to the little nagging voice in my head. If I had listened to the voice or done some Googling regarding the impacts of CMG ownership... well, I would've been retired a long time ago and would've taken a lot less TUMS over the last year.

Anyways; Forum First being the new mantra, and Nothing Will Change being the assurance, the Staff grabbed the banner and headed forth, doing the same job they always have. Over the last year, many staff members have seen their pride in being a staff member turn to frustration and embarrassment over having to make excuses for the slow response times and/or no action at all. Resignations eventually began and the “Surprise” and “Dismay” from the mgt grew to have a hollow ring. While some of the problems have been resolved (ebay link, missing documents) only thru constant haranguing of the CM staff and in some cases, the GTTalk staff finding creative work arounds, others (forum updates, Contributor Badges, Apparel Items in the Store, Hotmail and other email Signup Issues, Staff Advancement, Forum Software Replacement, etc) have continued to go ignored. To be more specific about who I feel is responsible would be in bad form and not representative to my upbringing. While I probably echo the sentiments of some of the staff, I will just say I am damned tired of it.
Ironically, It is my hope that leaving the staff will accelerate the resolutions of the very issues that are causing my departure.

I have been absent often lately, still checking in at least 2-3 times a day, however, I was only doing maintenance, making sure no one needed my specific help, and reading up on the stuff in Off Topic. That went on until it all came to a head about a week ago. While online, I became nearly depressed... I realized that the last mention of any upgrades had been over a month ago and we were no closer to them than a year previous. It was the same stagnation that I was powerless to correct and believe is slowly strangling the forum. I thought about all the hours we have poured into making it the place it is and I grew saddened. It was at that time that I could no longer bring myself to participate in the forum.
I took a week off. My First “more than 8 consecutive hours away” in 5 years. Oddly, and thanks to the issues, there was no withdrawal.

I rationalized that this is just a hobby, life is too short, and time too valuable. In truth, I just can't be this frustrated anymore without it spilling into my real life. Assuming I will have some extra time in reality, I have committed to being an Officer in our local club and am going to be involved in a community redevelopment project.

I want to finish by saying I am not one bit sorry I have been a part of this. I will always be proud of what we built and the friendships that have been made. It is STILL the best forum on the web.
HOWEVER, the only reason its the best place to be is the people, not the forum. If those people were ever to transport to another forum, well, then THAT would be the best forum on the web. You get the idea.
I plan on remaining a member here, but time will tell what else may transpire.
Oh, and as my last duty as a Moderator, I plan on issuing Casey one last point for old time sake.

May God Bless each of you and keep You Safe, Garden Tractors really do collect the Nicest People.
Sincerely, MH81 / Alan M. Steadman
  • Bolens 1000, olcowhand, DH1 and 52 others have said thanks

#2 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8592
  • 3,320 Thanks
  • 906 posts

Posted April 02, 2017 - 08:54 PM

Yes Alan whenever possible all should remove unwanted or unneeded stress or frustration, life is indeed to be enjoyed. Hats of and kudos to a most excellent job well done. Wish you the best. Sucks it had to come to this, your link in your post about them is an eye opener, I can see why it certainly sealed the deal.

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, April 02, 2017 - 09:15 PM.

• Bolens 1000, olcowhand, daytime dave and 16 others have said thanks

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 38,074 Thanks
  • 30,468 posts

Posted April 02, 2017 - 08:56 PM

Wow, and this is no longer April Fool's Day.  I sure hate to see you go from the staff, as you my friend have a great way of communicating feelings & are super at all staff duties.  But I DO understand completely, as I've been on the edge of doing the same for some time.  Who knows what I may decide here forth.  PLEASE stay an active member Alan.  When I ever get time, I'll give you a call.  Might be a while, as my life is super full at the moment.  I'm gonna miss you being a staff member, but again, please stay as a member!

• Bolens 1000, daytime dave, limebuzz and 19 others have said thanks

#4 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • Member No: 85357
  • 248 Thanks
  • 209 posts

Posted April 02, 2017 - 09:07 PM

So hard to read such devastating news about a dedicated staff member. As was explained tho, very understandable how the feelings came about and understood completely your decision to take care of you now. As Kevin stated, I double the thought life being to short. We all have to look out for #1. I'll remain hopeful this isn't going to be the beginning of the end of what I've come to know as an awesome site with many many great and very knowledgeable people. Best of luck to you Alan and thank you so much for all you've done for GTTalk.
  • olcowhand, daytime dave, MH81 and 13 others have said thanks

#5 Xrperry ONLINE  

Xrperry
  • Member No: 73285
  • 839 Thanks
  • 656 posts

Posted April 02, 2017 - 09:26 PM

Is it hard to start a site?.I don't know anything about it,just thinking.. Alan I wish you the best of luck in whatever you do,

Edited by Xrperry, April 02, 2017 - 11:26 PM.

• daytime dave, MH81, hamman and 6 others have said thanks

#6 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,455 Thanks
  • 1,804 posts

Posted April 02, 2017 - 09:26 PM

Alan, as I personally don't know you, I feel your pain. Most, if not all have 1 interest in mind, the all mighty dollar. You, me, joe, bob..., and so on know this! We can't blame them, but, we can, as THEY have lost touch. Hell, sometimes people just loose touch just to eat.

You have a gift, a gift that is from the heart, it spills within your words. A tallent that is most often not described, but rather observed!!!!

To you my friend, I wish you the best, but most importantly, I'm glad you're relieved personally. The most stress comes from within. What if, what next, now what, and so on.

While I'm not the brightest guy in the world, and sure as hell NOT perfect, I, like you am human, american, and full of mistakes, and DAMN proud of it!!! Best anyone can do, is move on, and make the best of life. Always remember, "WE" only live once, and you have what some people don't have is....eyes to realize change is needed.

I wish you good luck in whatever you do, or don't decide to follow dream wise, but, again, lifes toooo short! When it's not fun anymore, it's work....

Good luck, Greg.

Edited by stiemmy, April 02, 2017 - 09:33 PM.

• Bolens 1000, olcowhand, daytime dave and 13 others have said thanks

#7 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,792 Thanks
  • 1,423 posts

Posted April 02, 2017 - 09:48 PM

Dang Alan, my gut was telling me something like this may be going on with your inactivity lately. My activity is hardly what could be called consistant, but I sure know who was taking care of business here. You have been a great help here to me personally as just a small time three workhorse tractor owner, which is a tiny contribution compared to what impact you have made with the folks here that are real GT fanatics!

I'm sorry the behind the scenes issues have caused you so much grief. You will be missed, Alan, thank-you for everything you have done for myself and everyone else here.

DAC

• olcowhand, limebuzz, MH81 and 11 others have said thanks

#8 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 7,871 Thanks
  • 4,021 posts

Posted April 02, 2017 - 09:49 PM

So sorry to read all this Alan, none of us has so many friends that we can afford to lose one, and it feels to me that you are a friend. Please stay with us and drop in as you see fit. Your caring, logic and common sense have been something I have relied on in the face of adversity, as odd as that may sound. May peace be with you my friend.
  • olcowhand, daytime dave, MH81 and 11 others have said thanks

#9 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Validating
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,684 Thanks
  • 1,148 posts

Posted April 02, 2017 - 10:14 PM

Sorry to hear, Alan!! Just keep in mind the words from that old song: " If you can't please everyone, you gotta please yourself".

Mike

• daytime dave, MH81, hamman and 8 others have said thanks

#10 637Yeoman ONLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 1,543 Thanks
  • 1,250 posts

Posted April 02, 2017 - 10:19 PM

We all have our breaking point, and once you reach it, you have to ease back.

Thank you for the wonderful job you've done in managing this site, and making an amazing family of tractor fanatics.

• daytime dave, MH81, hamman and 8 others have said thanks

#11 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,557 Thanks
  • 889 posts

Posted April 02, 2017 - 10:30 PM

Sorry to hear you've had to fight so much, Alan.

• olcowhand, daytime dave, MH81 and 8 others have said thanks

#12 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 5,793 Thanks
  • 5,745 posts

Posted April 02, 2017 - 11:36 PM

It's the "work for nothing" guys behind the scenes that have made this place the wonderful place it has been and is. Thank you for your service!  I admire you for being able to express your feelings without slinging mud and yet making your point. 

Hope you can leave the stress behind and your a member here for a long time to come. 

• Bolens 1000, olcowhand, daytime dave and 11 others have said thanks

#13 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,642 Thanks
  • 4,159 posts

Posted April 03, 2017 - 04:32 AM

Thank you, Alan. It has been a nice time and I'm convinced it will be a nice time here with you    :thumbs: 

• daytime dave, MH81, hamman and 6 others have said thanks

#14 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,266 Thanks
  • 43,390 posts

Posted April 03, 2017 - 04:51 AM

Alan, thank you for all you have done to make this a great place to gather and share our passion for these little tractors. I'm proud to have served here with you and will miss seeing your posts every day. Just can't find the words right now to express what I truly feel reading this! Good luck, my friend!

• olcowhand, daytime dave, MH81 and 7 others have said thanks

#15 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,577 Thanks
  • 4,712 posts

Posted April 03, 2017 - 05:09 AM

Sorry to hear this Al. The saddest part is when I look at the mod list and realize that three fourth of the list are no longer active. Makes me realize how hard the mod team has worked to be a buffer between the empty promises of CMG and the members. Thanks Al for all you have done.
  • olcowhand, daytime dave, MH81 and 8 others have said thanks