#16 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,384 Thanks
  • 3,015 posts

Posted April 02, 2017 - 09:09 PM

Sears custom decks have a long shoot integrated in the them. That's just to direct the grass that blows out Down towards the ground. Never had a deck throw grass as far as a Custom deck does. With it off they throw grass 5-6 feet straight out the side. Kinda hard to control where it blows it when it blows grass that far lol.

• KennyP, Cvans, chieffan and 1 other said thanks

#17 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 3,016 Thanks
  • 1,520 posts

Posted April 02, 2017 - 09:38 PM

I had the same issue when I first got my MF12G 6 years ago. I took the metal deflector off but then the way the wind blows around here a good amount of the clippings were blowing right back up in my face. The first flexable one I built was from a piece of rubber belting. Way too stiff and clogged the deck. Went to lighter rubber that was about like the thickness of a heavy inner tube. Little twigs punched holes in that and stayed harpooned half way through it. I finally went to a double layer of sign banner material and that seems to work great. It still gets holes but the twigs don't seem to penetrate. Fortunately I have plenty of it so it isn't a problem to cut another and install.

DAC

• KennyP said thank you

#18 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Validating
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,689 Thanks
  • 1,148 posts

Posted April 02, 2017 - 10:20 PM

yeah but it takes some smarts and common sense from the operator too.....

Those two items seem to be on the way to extinction!!

Mike

• KennyP and dodge trucker have said thanks

#19 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,963 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted April 02, 2017 - 10:24 PM

I have one too. It'll be on the machine when my kids have to use it in the future, but I'll leave it off and make sure no one is downrange.
  • KennyP, MFDAC and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#20 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,130 Thanks
  • 6,234 posts

Posted April 03, 2017 - 09:29 AM

Must have for City Slickers but for the country boys don't need them.  My cub and JD decks both have them off and spreads the grass out at least 5 feet.  I don't mow blowing grass against the wind so no problem there.  It washes off with water anyway.  Use the trim mower around the house where there are windows, etc.  Area to small for a rider anyway.  OSHA is trying to make things idiot proof and that is never going to happen.  Will always be someone wanting to know how fast those blades turn.

• KennyP said thank you

#21 junkyardjeff OFFLINE  

junkyardjeff
  • Member No: 50084
  • 85 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted April 03, 2017 - 04:55 PM

I was thinking about getting all the accessories for my tractors when I seen it on ebay but if I had a lawn with no trees and other things to mow around and fences then it would stay but its just in the way,now if I could get it to hinge and move up so it would clear tight spots then it could go back on but for now I was crazy to add it with my yard. If anyone thinks they need one then it could be available.