6 replies to this topic

#1 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 3,636 Thanks
  • 2,733 posts

Posted April 02, 2017 - 09:00 AM

Okay , I'm going to cut my herd down. NO I'M NOT GETTING OUT OF THE HOBBY! But I need to downsize to just a couple. Mostly space issues and lack of time to play / maintain all of them.

Here's the choices.

Bolens1225 with foot operated  12hp Wisconsin with mower deck, snow / dirt blade  , sleeve hitch, Snow caster and tiller ,( the last two I probably won't use). As of right now it has a stuck exhaust valve. but does have spark.

Ford LGT 125 with foot operated hydro and a 12hp Kohler. snow blade, sleeve hitch , mower deck. The issue with this one is a  massive oil leak from what I think is the seal at the crank behind the electric clutch for the accessories . ( It'll goes through enough oil that I add a significant amount every time i use it)

I've used the Ford for a while and have had several of them. The 1225 will be my first hydro Bolens as I have a 1050 now. Neither would need to do anything heavy duty , the Ford 195 takes care of that. Mostly be used for hauling the trailer ( sometimes it gets a heavy load) ,  and some mowing. I know they are both tube frames, the Bolens seems a bit smaller, but i think should keep up with the Ford.

Okay , any and all thoughts please.

• boyscout862, stiemmy, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,169 Thanks
  • 8,887 posts

Posted April 02, 2017 - 09:44 AM

Morning Tom,  That is a tough decision. I like both tractors and would tend to make the decision based on attachment availability. I would keep the Bolens.

There is a sheet metal cover over the camshaft gear on Kohler engines. Many times that is what leaks. It may only need to be tightened. Look in the Kohler manual to locate it.  I hope that all is well with you and your family. Good Luck, Rick

The stuck valve can be freed up by spraying  WD through the sprk plug hole(use the straw to point it in the right direction. Use a bent heavy wire to push the valve down. Then turn the engine over and if it sticks, spray and push down again. It often takes several times repeating this to free it up. In the future, always use Marvel Mystery Oil in your gas and hand turn the engine to compression after you have shut it down.

Edited by boyscout862, April 02, 2017 - 09:50 AM.

• Newpaws493, TomLGT195 and stiemmy have said thanks

#3 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,537 Thanks
  • 1,830 posts

Posted April 02, 2017 - 09:45 AM

Ohhhh my, that would be tough for me, especially being that both are very good machines. It also sounds like the repairs would be easy on either.

It would be a draw for me tractor wise, but having a few more attachments for the 1225 would be the deciding factor. IMO;)
  • boyscout862 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#4 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,195 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted April 08, 2017 - 04:27 PM

Well, I'd say the bolens takes up a lot more space, with a tiller and snow blower you won't use.
But, me, I'd keep the ford, just cuz I like Jacobsen's.
However, to sell either you will need to fix the problems you mentioned or sell cheap.
You have other tractors I'd sell first.
These are the two of your tractors I'd save for last.
After you send that LGT 195 over to me!

Joe
  • TomLGT195 said thank you

#5 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 3,636 Thanks
  • 2,733 posts

Posted April 09, 2017 - 05:36 AM

Well, I'd say the bolens takes up a lot more space, with a tiller and snow blower you won't use.
But, me, I'd keep the ford, just cuz I like Jacobsen's.
However, to sell either you will need to fix the problems you mentioned or sell cheap.
You have other tractors I'd sell first.
These are the two of your tractors I'd save for last.
After you send that LGT 195 over to me!
Joe

Joe, as soon as I can get into the shed, several of the others are going first. The 165 will probably be the keeper and both the 125 and 1225 will go. I could sell the accessories that I won't use too.
I guess the big questions are ; Which one will mow better? And Kohler or Wisconsin?
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#6 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,169 Thanks
  • 8,887 posts

Posted April 14, 2017 - 07:57 AM

Joe, as soon as I can get into the shed, several of the others are going first. The 165 will probably be the keeper and both the 125 and 1225 will go. I could sell the accessories that I won't use too.
I guess the big questions are ; Which one will mow better? And Kohler or Wisconsin?

If you want something to do a great mowing job, you want an AC Big Ten(B-10) or Simplicity equivalent. They seem to give the best results and stear better that Bolens. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, April 14, 2017 - 07:58 AM.

• Newpaws493 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#7 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,195 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted April 15, 2017 - 10:59 AM

I prefer Kohler.
And, I'd say nothing mows better than a simplicity.
I've never mowed with a Bolens.
I've always been happy with my 42" Ford/Jacobsen decks
The 50" deck scollups mine lawn too much.

Joe
  • TomLGT195 said thank you