#1 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,620 Thanks
  • 2,630 posts

Posted April 01, 2017 - 08:23 PM

I saw this online this morning, and it is now in my garage.  4 hour round trip to pick it up.  One of those tractors on my bucket list.  Don't see many of these around here at all.  Kind of surprised I found it on craigs, it had been listed for awhile.  But it was in the antiques category...not farm and garden.

Messed around with it this afternoon, it has a good clutch, shifts without any trouble, but I do have a problem.  I haven't seen this type of kohler ignition before...it is solid state.  and I cant get spark to the plug...have any suggestions?

Attached Thumbnails

• 00t0t_lWx3QOZ4KV3_600x450.jpg
  • 00505_3MxJ6O9MWge_600x450.jpg

• Gtractor, Alc, Cvans and 5 others have said thanks

#2 SupplySergeant OFFLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,614 Thanks
  • 916 posts

Posted April 01, 2017 - 09:33 PM

Sweet find! My '69 JD 140 had that kind of ignition from the factory, JD replaced it with conventional points because it was so bad. I'm sure someone here can help. 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 783 posts

Posted April 01, 2017 - 10:49 PM

Nice! Congrats!!

Have fun fixing it up. :)

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,361 Thanks
  • 7,747 posts

Posted April 01, 2017 - 11:05 PM

Triggers for flywheel are expensive, IF you can even find one. Can go to points again, but need many items. Have to push a plug out where the cam push rod for points would go into the block, (and retreive that out when done), install points, cover and wires, AND, most important a diff coil. Then also have to change the key switch to batt type, not mag, and maybe a little wiring change for that. Have seen on the Yahoo groups forum for PK's how to do this. Think maybe some ideas on here if you search thru the postings.

• Alc, Delmar and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,620 Thanks
  • 2,630 posts

Posted April 02, 2017 - 06:19 AM

Triggers for flywheel are expensive, IF you can even find one. Can go to points again, but need many items. Have to push a plug out where the cam push rod for points would go into the block, (and retreive that out when done), install points, cover and wires, AND, most important a diff coil. Then also have to change the key switch to batt type, not mag, and maybe a little wiring change for that. Have seen on the Yahoo groups forum for PK's how to do this. Think maybe some ideas on here if you search thru the postings.

I did some looking thru old posts, saw a suggestion to look for a k series service manual, and then I found a free k series service manual online...it shows this type of ignition and how to test the parts...I will try that first, and go from there.  Thank you glgrumpy!

Edited by Delmar, April 02, 2017 - 06:20 AM.

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,091 Thanks
  • 44,114 posts

Posted April 02, 2017 - 06:35 AM

I did some looking thru old posts, saw a suggestion to look for a k series service manual, and then I found a free k series service manual online...it shows this type of ignition and how to test the parts...I will try that first, and go from there.  Thank you glgrumpy!

We have that manual uploaded here.

• Delmar and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,714 Thanks
  • 1,221 posts

Posted April 02, 2017 - 03:38 PM

Hi Delmar, on the K321 I have with breakerless ignition the points plunger plug is removable from the outside there is no need to open up the engine, actually its not hard to convert to battery ignition, Kohler had a kit at one but don't if its still available or not here's the Kohler instructions

Attached File  Kohler Battery Ignition Conversion Kit.pdf   220.42KB   35 downloads

• Delmar said thank you

#8 bill3t OFFLINE  

bill3t
  • Member No: 57907
  • 52 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted April 06, 2017 - 05:25 PM

brian miller website has all those tips on point conversion.  i did it to mine. got a little metal in the crank case removing the plug cover. drain oil and metal . refill and works good now. bill