• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hiltu OFFLINE  

hiltu
  • Member No: 86259
  • 17 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted April 01, 2017 - 08:09 PM

Rebuilding the PTO on my 1256 while the engine is getting rebuilt (new connecting rod, crankshaft, bearings, piston, seals, etc) and I'm at the point of replacing the needle bearing. I stacked appropriately sized sockets inside the tube and took a hammer to the back in hopes of slowing removing the bearing. It hasn't moved a smidge, Is there a better way to get this bearing out, i'm afraid to hit harder due to being a cast iron piece?  

#2 Xrperry OFFLINE  

Xrperry
  • Member No: 73285
  • 971 Thanks
  • 740 posts

Posted April 01, 2017 - 08:17 PM

Try some pb blaster,maybe some heat
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#3 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,142 Thanks
  • 6,240 posts

Posted April 02, 2017 - 07:09 AM

I agree - lots of PB Blaster and let it soak for a couple days.  Give it time to work.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,187 Thanks
  • 8,898 posts

Posted April 02, 2017 - 07:32 AM

Download the parts manual from our Manuals Section and check that there isn't one of the small retaining rings in there. Even heating the casing by putting it in the sun can help. Be patient. Good Luck, Rick
  • Newpaws493 said thank you

#5 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 7,496 Thanks
  • 2,466 posts

Posted April 02, 2017 - 08:18 AM

I would recommend that you use a piece of threaded rod ( 3/8" to 1/2" diameter x about 12" long should do it) to pull out the needle bearing from the housing.  Put a nut and washer on one end and then the socket (make sure the socket O.D. is smaller than the O.D. of the needle bearing - if memory serves me correctly the needle bearing is 1.00" on the outside) on the threaded rod and insert the other end from the front of the PTO housing and through the needle bearing.  Then set a large socket or a short piece of pipe that has an I.D. larger than the O.D. of the bearing on top of the rear end of the housing and put another washer (if you use a piece of pipe you may have to use a piece of flat steel with a hole in it for the threaded rod rather than a washer) and nut on the threaded rod.  Thread two more nuts on the end of the threaded rod about 1" away from the nut that goes against the larger socket - jam the two nuts together with two wrenches - they can then be held with a wrench to keep the threaded rod from turning without damaging the threads.  Start to tighten the nut against the large socket and the bearing should be pulled out of the housing.  If things don't move make sure that one of the sockets isn't binding against either the housing or the bearing as the needle bearing does not usually require a lot of force to get it to move.

You should be able to press the needle bearing into the housing rather than pulling it if you have a press and remove the bearing through the front bearing opening - if you check out post # 148 in this thread - http://gardentractor...project/page-10 - the pictures will give you a better idea of what the inside of the PTO housing looks like with the grease removed - the one on my 1053 should be the same as the housing on your 1256.  Unless someone has modified the PTO housing the housing bore should be smooth without any steps or snap rings to keep the bearing from being pressed inwards to remove it in that direction if it is easier - hope this helps.  

Edited by 29 Chev, April 02, 2017 - 08:33 AM.

• Bolens 1000, boyscout862, Newpaws493 and 1 other said thanks

#6 hiltu OFFLINE  

hiltu
  • Member No: 86259
  • 17 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted April 04, 2017 - 07:36 PM

Got it to come out. 2 days with PB blaster and she was slid out. Thanks for the advice!

• Bolens 1000 and boyscout862 have said thanks