• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted June 11, 2011 - 02:35 PM

so i did alot of reading online about AC and DC currents. the DC is what charges the battery correct? is the regulator what changes it from AC to DC? it mentions diodes? where are they? also can i test to see if my stator is making good current or not? i think my problem in not charging the battery lies in these "diodes". or in my voltage regulator.

#2 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,326 posts

Posted June 11, 2011 - 04:35 PM

Diodes are easy to replace if you can fine the correct one.Radio Shack should have the one you need in stock.
Diode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BUT I'm not sure the Diode on a Kohler charging system is wired into the wires coming from the Stator or if the Diode is inside the Regulator.
If it's wired into the Wiring,Write down which way the White Band on the Diode is facing.Snip it off with wire snipps and go get another one.
If the Diode is Inside the Regulator then your going to have to replace the regulator.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in.
I've worked on 100s of briggs and stratton and Tecumseh charging systems and the older Kohler Starter Generator style charging systems but I've never worked on a Kohler Stator style system with solid state regulator.

#3 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,585 posts

Posted June 11, 2011 - 05:15 PM

I really think it would be in your and your engine's best interest to post the entire model number so more people can look at exploded views, etc.

#4 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted June 11, 2011 - 06:31 PM

idk the entire engine model number theres no plate saying it or decal. also it started to charge, like really good, i drove it around a bit and it stopped. it has to be a loose wire. all me and my dad did was dick around with connections and parts of melted wire until it charged. so i dont think its the regulator or the stator.

#5 KIRO-1 ONLINE  

KIRO-1

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2451
  • 40 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted June 11, 2011 - 07:02 PM

Sounds like you have a short to ground somewhere. If you have an OHMs meter (preferably digital) maybe start checking wires individually. I would start by replacing the melted wiring first.

#6 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted June 11, 2011 - 07:31 PM

If you have an AC voltage output from the stator in the range of 25 - 35 volts "AC" you can assume your stator is OK.
The Regulator/Rectifier converts this output to a DC voltage that will actually charge the battery.
One side of the AC sine is dumped to ground and the other is used to charge the battery.
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#7 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted June 11, 2011 - 07:37 PM

ok i got it figured out. there is a short in one of the wires coming from the stator. its dark now so tomorrow ill cut the covering off and look into it. it started charging, i took it for a ride and it stopped. so i think i found the problem. will let you know tomorrow.

#8 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted June 11, 2011 - 09:47 PM

This isn't the correct engine manual but there is a good explanation a/c voltage diodes and regulators , Al
Tecumseh engine service manual 692509 - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums

#9 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 11, 2011 - 10:02 PM

If you have an AC voltage output from the stator in the range of 25 - 35 volts "AC" you can assume your stator is OK.
The Regulator/Rectifier converts this output to a DC voltage that will actually charge the battery.
One side of the AC sine is dumped to ground and the other is used to charge the battery.

Ducky, I'm glad you could explain it in proper terms, I know how it works, but couldn't get it to read right when I typed it out. LOL