8 replies to this topic

#1 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted March 30, 2010 - 01:49 PM

Koher and Tecumseh cast irons same size? apparently not, shouldve looked it up first.
its hard to see but the bolt pattern is almost as wide as the frame LOL
guess i shouldve gotten the diesel.........
NOIMG00163..jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG00164..jpg

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 30, 2010 - 02:13 PM

Yes it is hard to see in the pic, that Kohler almost looks like it could pass for a wisconsin. I have faith in ya though Mike that you will be able to make it work. After having the Kohlers in the Cubs I am really starting to favor them over the Tecumseh. I gotta give the Tec in my 12 a little credit though, she smokes so bad on a cold start up I have to open all the doors in the garage and then it still takes about an hour for it to all clear but she keeps running strong as ever. I almost hate to tear it apart.

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 30, 2010 - 02:21 PM

I thought they were very similar in size,that is if you compare say two 12hp's,or two 14hp's and so on.But I've not actually done any measuring.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 30, 2010 - 02:25 PM

I thought they were very similar in size,that is if you compare say two 12hp's,or two 14hp's and so on.But I've not actually done any measuring.

I didn't even realize or think about the size differences, that Kohler is probably at least a 14hp isn't it?

#5 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted March 30, 2010 - 03:52 PM

I have a 10 hp of each in my MF and Ford....The Kohler is bigger for sure. Power wise, I think the Kohler does too, but it may be because of the Ford tranny (both are 4 speed gear)

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted March 30, 2010 - 04:25 PM

Kohlers of the same size as TEC engines do have more torque, but not knocking the TEC engines, just the way it is.

#7 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 30, 2010 - 04:35 PM

I am really curious as to what the bolt pattern measures on the Kohler.
Tecumseh is 7 5/8" x 4". Is a Kohler 7 3/4" x 5", that's the size of the other bolt pattern.
The pic is a 1966 MF10 frame where the motor mounts, 2 different bolt patterns 1 is Tecumseh, the other???
These holes appear to be factory made and I've seen the same bolt pattern in pic on other 66 frames.

Attached Thumbnails

• 66 MF10 083..jpg

#8 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted March 30, 2010 - 05:32 PM

Would like to help with that, but my Ford has the Kohler pan welded to the frame, so it doesn't have the standard mounting holes.

#9 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted March 30, 2010 - 06:57 PM

If i put new holes in the frame I still wouldnt be able to turn the nuts on the bottom as theyd be running right up against the frame walls. I suppose I could get a special oil pan but even then the tin doesnt clear the hood and im not really a fan of running the open fly wheel and mounting the coil here instead of there and this and that, id also have to cut the tank/battery tower. i actually just sold the motor this afternoon to buy the new tiller i got on ebay for 150 or so might need a driveshaft?? or keyway or something but at that price I cant complain as they go in a few hours around here.

but yeah i was really suprised how much bigger this motor is. i was thinking 12hp would be 12hp right? LOL so much for that.

ive always wanted a diesel anyways. cant afford a GREEN 430..... or the blower for it... heck prolly not even a deck LOL.

but i got this 12 hydro 69 from the original owner off of michigan craigslist. came with a early style blower, blade, OK deck, sleeve hitch, massey two piece wheel weights, sears weights. hood face is all messed up though for 250. i thought the motor had low compression, 60psi or so. but then i take it apart and there is a weight on the flywheel. stinker. i guess they added that between the 67 mf10. had a good ssi. carb was mint so was the tank, lady said it was sitting for 20 years. hope the trans is good. thatd be a bummer.