• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 GardnMastr OFFLINE  

GardnMastr
  • Member No: 85758
  • 319 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted March 31, 2017 - 02:19 PM

If you could wish for a complete book on Garden All Tractor Inc., Garden All (two wheel), and Gard'n Mast'r (4 wheel) what would it include? Factory photo's, restored examples, technical info, interview with the owner, sales literature. You tell me. Could anyone do one? Anybody capable?
  • 637Yeoman said thank you

#2 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,969 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted March 31, 2017 - 03:23 PM

I am actually surprised there are no books out there for any garden tractors. i think I saw was a wheel horse book maybe?
seems like a good project for someone
  • 637Yeoman said thank you

#3 GardnMastr OFFLINE  

GardnMastr
  • 319 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted March 31, 2017 - 06:24 PM

When reading this new book, what chapter would be the most interesting, do you suppose?

#4 GardnMastr OFFLINE  

GardnMastr
  • 319 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted April 03, 2017 - 02:29 PM

I am in the process of writing this book, I am trying to fill in all the blanks, and make sure I don't skip something obvious. I started the book before I joined here. My thoughts were to see what people are interested in. My leanings are toward older things than are generally talked about here, perhaps that is because of availability of machines or generally the age of the participants here. The other conclusion is that they aren't as interested in the writing, it seems everyone is visually oriented. I guess I'll have to include lots of pictures, maybe it is a generational thing. I like the stories. I read all the years of Uncle Willies stories. I had a hard time quitting reading them. When I was catching up to current events, I had to slow down, because I knew I was going to catch up. Uncle Willie has a way with words. I have 30 years of collecting and efforts. It includes almost enough for two books. Thoughts? or do you need pictures?

#5 GardnMastr OFFLINE  

GardnMastr
  • 319 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted April 10, 2017 - 06:29 PM

Most garden tractor companies started with 2 wheel tractors. Shaw, Speedex, and Wheel Horse all made 2 wheel tractors. I never knew of Economy/Power King to have made any though. Garden All Tractor Company did start that way. Two models were offered, "S"and "S3". S came with a 1 3/4 hp. B&S engine. A higher cost 1 3/4 to 2 hp Clinton engine was offered. S3 came with a 3 hp Wisconsin. Plows, discs, cultipackers, cultivators, sickle bar mowers, furrowers, spring tooth harrows, dump trailer, sulky, single and two row seeder attachments were offered to buy with the tractors. S was equipped with 5.00 x 12 tires. S3 came with 5.00 x 16 tires.

• classic said thank you

#6 GardnMastr OFFLINE  

GardnMastr
  • 319 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted April 10, 2017 - 07:04 PM

Here comes the picture, (it was on the other computer).image.jpg
  • classic said thank you

#7 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 4,760 Thanks
  • 2,090 posts

Posted April 11, 2017 - 01:43 AM

I've given your idea of writing this book some thought. Many different things would be of interest to collectors or just people interested in Garden-All. Factory photos are always interesting to view. Pics of original condition and restored machines would also be of interest. Differences between different models, prototypes, and odd ball features are really interesting, too. Pics of these tractors with attachments, parts lists, price lists, and just about any history or info regarding these tractors would be great to read about. Anyone with extensive knowledge, pics, and info regarding these tractors and other vintage tractors, should write a book or post the info online. Too many details, info, and pics become lost forever with time.

Edited by classic, April 11, 2017 - 01:44 AM.

• Alc, oldiron1 and GardnMastr have said thanks

#8 oldiron1 OFFLINE  

oldiron1
  • Member No: 43924
  • 358 Thanks
  • 233 posts

Posted April 11, 2017 - 09:46 AM

I love the idea of a book specific to Garden Master/Garden All tractors as well as any book dedicated to lesser known garden tractors. There are books dedicated to JD, Cub Cadet, Wheel Horse, etc. The only other book I'm aware of covers many different brands; but just a little bit on each; probably due to a lack of information. 

It'd be great to have a single source for all info related to a manufacture.

I'm most interested in production information (different models produced, explanation of the differences between models, years produced, available options, attachments, etc. Lots of pictures as I would use the book as a reference when looking at a tractor for sale that I'm interested in purchasing or restoring. 

Just my 2 cents. Thanks, Rob

• GardnMastr said thank you

#9 lrhredjb ONLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 514 Thanks
  • 446 posts

Posted April 11, 2017 - 10:35 AM

Here's a thought, why not make a couple of books. One covering the two wheel tractors or maybe a certain time segment and another for later years, 4 wheel tractors and such. Perhaps it would be easier to do it that way but I never wrote a book so what do I know. I would be glad to contribute any photos I have or material, most of which I got from you.

#10 GardnMastr OFFLINE  

GardnMastr
  • 319 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted April 11, 2017 - 05:34 PM

"S" went to 2 hp. "S3" went to 4 1/2 hp. A new low price (and lighter weight) machine 2 hp "D". Power steering on a two wheel? That would be the new "E". It had two v belt reductions, one for each drive wheel, along with individual belt tightening cutches. Release one and you have a power turn.image.jpg
  • Tbrooks said thank you

#11 GardnMastr OFFLINE  

GardnMastr
  • 319 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted April 20, 2017 - 05:05 PM

This is me on a "G" Gard'n Mast'r. It is a GW, meaning it has a Wisconsin engine, not a Briggs & Stratton. It has the 5 x 21" rear tires. It came with a moldboard plow. This tractor is a middle production version, not an early or a late. It was made in 1953. If you find one it most likely would be of this version, it was the best selling style.image.jpg
  • Alc, lrhredjb and oldiron1 have said thanks

#12 GardnMastr OFFLINE  

GardnMastr
  • 319 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted April 23, 2017 - 02:42 PM

I was happy to visit the second biggest collector of Garden All and Gard'n Mast'r tractors known yesterday. I got up at my regular time of 5:30 in the morning. Instead of heading to work, I headed for a visit. I was able to look at his more than 15 tractors, take some pictures and write down some serial numbers. We visited from 10:00 to 1:00. It was really cool. I let him see my advertising collection, pictures, and some of the work on the book. Stopped at another man's house an saw two "JS's". He was an old timer with local color to add to the stories. On the return trip, I stopped at a 3rd man's house to look at two more, but he wasn't home. Quite a day, a lot of fun, with thoughts of a return visit. Home by 3:30 pm.image.jpg image.jpg

#13 lrhredjb ONLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • 514 Thanks
  • 446 posts

Posted April 24, 2017 - 04:06 PM

Is the 2nd biggest collector also in IN? I assume you are the biggest collector right? Inquiring minds like to know.

BTW I got back from FL yesterday.

#14 GardnMastr OFFLINE  

GardnMastr
  • 319 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted April 24, 2017 - 06:37 PM

Umm yes, umm yes, and we got along great. I showed him a few things he did not know and he liked that a lot. I saw an experimental special made tractor. I hope to include it in the book. Sounds like we'll have to get together and visit over some tenderloins. Hope you had a good trip.

#15 lrhredjb ONLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • 514 Thanks
  • 446 posts

Posted April 25, 2017 - 07:16 PM

Hey Gary, I found this picture on my old computer tonight and I thought you might be interested in it. It looks very similar to my JB since it has the dashboard or firewall. The rear tires are a lot bigger so i suppose the front axle is raised. I don't know where I got the photo or who owns the tractor. It's the only one I have seen with a deck installed and I suspect the deck is from something else. Anyway enjoy.

LH

530c.jpg