Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,563 Thanks
  • 7,304 posts

Posted March 30, 2017 - 08:08 PM

A fellow I know was having problem with the power steering cylinder/control valve assembly . He had a shop rebuild it but from what hes saying it won't move correctly and at this point looking to just replace it with a used one. Anyone have a parts source who might have one ?
  • Lmiller3358 and chieffan have said thanks

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,008 Thanks
  • 6,174 posts

Posted March 31, 2017 - 08:58 AM

The shop should stand behind their work.  Sometimes it is better to bring the whole tractor in rather than remove the parts and say fix it.

• Alc said thank you

#3 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,466 Thanks
  • 1,412 posts

Posted March 31, 2017 - 10:19 AM

A fellow I know was having problem with the power steering cylinder/control valve assembly . He had a shop rebuild it but from what hes saying it won't move correctly and at this point looking to just replace it with a used one. Anyone have a parts source who might have one ?

Just did a little Google search, check ALL State  Ag parts in Wisconsin , looks like the part out a lot of Case 530's

• Alc said thank you

#4 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,563 Thanks
  • 7,304 posts

Posted March 31, 2017 - 04:07 PM

I talked to him today and he did call All State Ag parts no good . From what he's saying is they told him the ram was bent so they straightened it . He said the ram went in and out by hand before that the problem was only power steering in one direction . Now it binds going in and out LIKE a bent ram ! He found someplace that has parts of one and he's hoping to make one good one out of it

#5 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,856 Thanks
  • 3,395 posts

Posted April 01, 2017 - 03:43 AM

Al is this a ower assist cylinder or just a straight up powersteering cylinder? The power assist has a valve the steering box arm hooks too on rhe end of the cylinder... these things are a horror show when they get worn or rusty and will only steer in 1 direction.
If it has a steering motor and a hydraulic cylinder and will only turn one way? It could have one of 2 issues, 1 the piston is loose on the rod (or seriously damaged seals) or the steering motor (orbitol valve) has an issue.
Both require special tools and knowledge of each to successfully repair. (Case made the worst hydraulic cylinders I have ever had to repair, as I grew up in my dads hydraulic repair machine shop!) Been there done that!
  • Alc said thank you

#6 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,563 Thanks
  • 7,304 posts

Posted April 01, 2017 - 04:43 AM

Keith his power steering cylinder and valve are combined .Mounted in front of the axle . Kind of reminds me of those mid sixties Ford Comets & Mustangs

#7 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,856 Thanks
  • 3,395 posts

Posted April 02, 2017 - 05:49 AM

Thats what I thought it was. If it only steers in 1 direction then most likely the valve in the end is having issues.If he can't fix it himself .... ouch! We would try to convert customers to ordital steering valves and true cylinders when ever possible because those things were so hard to get parts for the valve assembly.
He might get lucky on flea-bay though?
If all state ag parts can't find them..he might be in a pickle..

#8 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,563 Thanks
  • 7,304 posts

Posted April 30, 2017 - 05:57 AM

I talk with the fellow yesterday he couldn't get a complete used or rebuilt unit be he got one with the control section missing he said even that was $$$ between his old one and the parts one he was able to get it working again Also the hyd shop that rebuilt it first was correct in the cylinder was bent and inside was damaged that it was a chance to rebuild and when it didn't work he had to find the parts one