20 replies to this topic

#16 Bterrier OFFLINE  

Bterrier
  • Member No: 86028
  • 20 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted March 31, 2017 - 07:52 AM

Also I have another option added to the list.....Deutz Allis 912 Hydro

Is the deutz allis 912h the same machine as the allis chalmers 912H? 

Also, what are opinions on allis chalmers 912 vs allis chalmers 917 vs deutz allis 912?  Aside from the gear drive vs hydro, what are the differences in these 3 machines?  Is is just hp?

Anyway, I am going to see them this afternoon, so would like to have an idea of which machine I am favoring.  I was originally favoring the 912 6speed, but now I am unsure because it will be used often as a cutting machine and I am on a smaller property.

• 637Yeoman said thank you

#17 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,482 Thanks
  • 8,484 posts

Posted March 31, 2017 - 10:36 AM

I have dozens of GTs but for mowing a small yard I usually use one of my smaller LTs. The AC/Simplicity hydros need to be "released" before moving them or you can damage them. Evaluate them all on condition before you even consider buying. Remember that you always have the last option(walk away). I find my best deals later in the year when machines that sat all winter won't start. The owner goes out and buys a new machine and just wants the old one taken away. I agree that the AC/Simplicities do a very good mowing job. Good Luck, Rick

#18 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,838 Thanks
  • 4,737 posts

Posted March 31, 2017 - 11:03 AM

Thanks for the clarification.  It does seem that a hydro would make it easier in that situation.  

If I were to use the gear driven, would there be a way to control the rpm of the cutting deck at slower grounds speeds?  I am confused as to whether that option is non-existent or if it just simpler on a hydro

The PTO speed is dependent on the engine RPM, and rated PTO RPM is generally right at the engine's full throttle RPM.

With a gear drive if you need a slower ground speed, you would have to shift to a lower gear if you want to keep the attachment at it's rated speed.

You could just throttle back to get a slower ground speed, but that would also slow the mower blades and give a lesser quality cut.

#19 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 1,543 Thanks
  • 1,250 posts

Posted March 31, 2017 - 12:02 PM

Also I have another option added to the list.....Deutz Allis 912 Hydro

Is the deutz allis 912h the same machine as the allis chalmers 912H? 

Also, what are opinions on allis chalmers 912 vs allis chalmers 917 vs deutz allis 912?  Aside from the gear drive vs hydro, what are the differences in these 3 machines?  Is is just hp?

Anyway, I am going to see them this afternoon, so would like to have an idea of which machine I am favoring.  I was originally favoring the 912 6speed, but now I am unsure because it will be used often as a cutting machine and I am on a smaller property.

Between the allis 912 and the 917, it is just a matter of horsepower, they have the same speed, and same weight, *The 17hp kohler may weigh more, but not a significant ammount* 

Now the Deutz allis is just a variation of the allis, but it is the same tractor, they are harder to come by, and more collectible to certain people.

Now if you do want a 12hp, it is up to you on the color, green or orange :smilewink:

And between the 17 and 12, i would consider how much lawn you have to mow, and how much other chores you will be using it for, thats just my two cents, Thanks, Luke

#20 Bterrier OFFLINE  

Bterrier
  • Member No: 86028
  • 20 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted April 01, 2017 - 11:54 AM

Unfortunately I decided to pass on the Allis Chalmers 912. The condition was rougher than the guy had described and the photo looked much better than in person!

Had trouble going into gear, the deck was cracked, and the bgb had a lot of slop. Also took him a good 5min to get it running.

I probably would have still taken it for the right price, but at $400, I felt it was too high given the condition.
  • 637Yeoman said thank you

#21 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 1,543 Thanks
  • 1,250 posts

Posted April 03, 2017 - 04:26 AM

Unfortunately I decided to pass on the Allis Chalmers 912. The condition was rougher than the guy had described and the photo looked much better than in person!

Had trouble going into gear, the deck was cracked, and the bgb had a lot of slop. Also took him a good 5min to get it running.

I probably would have still taken it for the right price, but at $400, I felt it was too high given the condition.

It was probably a good idea that you passed on it.

At that price point, the bgb should have very little slop, and it should shift nicely.

Anything in my opinion, over 300$ should be a turn key tractor.

• Bterrier said thank you