20 replies to this topic

#1 Bterrier OFFLINE  

Bterrier
  • Member No: 86028
  • 20 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted March 30, 2017 - 04:54 PM

Hello,

Looking to purchase my first garden tractor.  Only had lawn tractors in the past.

There is an Allis Chalmers 912, 6 speed for sale locally for $400.  Comes with cutting deck

Can anyone give me opinion, pros and cons of this tractor.

Also, what attachments are available for this tractor?  Are they specific to the allis chalmers 912?

Thank you

• 637Yeoman said thank you

#2 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 1,543 Thanks
  • 1,250 posts

Posted March 30, 2017 - 06:00 PM

Most any large frame simplicity attachments will work, pictures would help on price, and welcome to the site :rocker2:

#3 Bterrier OFFLINE  

Bterrier
  • 20 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted March 30, 2017 - 07:39 PM

Most any large frame simplicity attachments will work, pictures would help on price, and welcome to the site :rocker2:

Thanks!  Photo attached. 

Attached Thumbnails

• allis.jpg

• Alc and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#4 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • 1,543 Thanks
  • 1,250 posts

Posted March 30, 2017 - 07:45 PM

Does the tranny shift good, is the bgb tight, does it have a shuttle shift, and if so, make sure it works good, but if that all passes, i would buy it, good find :thumbs:

• Alc, boyscout862 and Bterrier have said thanks

#5 Bterrier OFFLINE  

Bterrier
  • 20 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted March 30, 2017 - 08:03 PM

I am going to look at it tomorrow (and hopefully bring it home)

Will let you know!

#6 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,436 Thanks
  • 8,469 posts

Posted March 30, 2017 - 08:20 PM

Zippo Vargas on Youtube does a real nice series on how to evaluate the condition of AC/Simplicity tractors.  I bought a running 3310 for  $200 about 3 years ago. The deck needs fixing and the whole tractor needed cleaning and servicing. I just used it today to bring two carts full of wood out of the woods. There will be attachments at the swap meets starting in a few weeks. Download the manual from our Manuals Section to learn more about it. Good Luck, Rick

• rustyoldjunk, Alc, 637Yeoman and 1 other said thanks

#7 Bterrier OFFLINE  

Bterrier
  • 20 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted March 30, 2017 - 09:07 PM

Zippo Vargas on Youtube does a real nice series on how to evaluate the condition of AC/Simplicity tractors.  I bought a running 3310 for  $200 about 3 years ago. The deck needs fixing and the whole tractor needed cleaning and servicing. I just used it today to bring two carts full of wood out of the woods. There will be attachments at the swap meets starting in a few weeks. Download the manual from our Manuals Section to learn more about it. Good Luck, Rick

Thanks! I will definitely check those youtube videos.
  • rustyoldjunk said thank you

#8 Bterrier OFFLINE  

Bterrier
  • 20 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted March 30, 2017 - 09:11 PM

So I am sure this has been discussed, but what are your views on the 6 speed vs hydro.

The same seller also has a 917 hydro for sale for approximately $100 more. Is it worth the extra for the 917h?

I will be working with my tractor, but not hauling thousands of pounds. Mainly a lawn cutting tractor with options to expand to other attachments and hauling some small loads of wood for now, but wanted a garden tractor for the expandability.

Would also like to be able to add a front end loader at some point if that is possible with this series....mainly for mulch and soil.

#9 ACmowerguy OFFLINE  

ACmowerguy
  • Member No: 67204
  • 382 Thanks
  • 351 posts

Posted March 30, 2017 - 10:02 PM

If everything works good I would say the prices are reasonable. The 912 and 917 will both use the same attachments. If one of them has a rear lift kit that would be a bonus as those will usually run you around $100. There were not factory supplied loaders for this series of tractor. Do a search on Kohler KT17 series I vs. series II. The engine in the 917 will be a KT17 if its original. If so you want the series II over the series I. Do you have a lot of slopes in your property?

• Alc, boyscout862 and Bterrier have said thanks

#10 Bterrier OFFLINE  

Bterrier
  • 20 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted March 30, 2017 - 10:10 PM

If everything works good I would say the prices are reasonable. The 912 and 917 will both use the same attachments. If one of them has a rear lift kit that would be a bonus as those will usually run you around $100. There were not factory supplied loaders for this series of tractor. Do a search on Kohler KT17 series I vs. series II. The engine in the 917 will be a KT17 if its original. If so you want the series II over the series I. Do you have a lot of slopes in your property?

Thanks for all the info! I forgot to mention that the 917 is the series I I kohler engine.

As of right now, I am leaning towards the 912 6speed. My property is fairly level

#11 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • 1,543 Thanks
  • 1,250 posts

Posted March 30, 2017 - 10:11 PM

So I am sure this has been discussed, but what are your views on the 6 speed vs hydro.

The same seller also has a 917 hydro for sale for approximately $100 more. Is it worth the extra for the 917h?

I will be working with my tractor, but not hauling thousands of pounds. Mainly a lawn cutting tractor with options to expand to other attachments and hauling some small loads of wood for now, but wanted a garden tractor for the expandability.

Would also like to be able to add a front end loader at some point if that is possible with this series....mainly for mulch and soil.

Unfortunately, Allis did not have a loader for that series, if you really wanted to, im sure you could mock up another loader on to it, other than that, it will do everything you ask of it, with very little complaints.

Cant beat an allis or simplicity for a first time garden tractor owner.

Easy to find parts and attachments, and they are tanks.

The only thing that breaks on them, after a half dozen decades or so is the bgb, but if you only plan on mowing with a little bit of hauling etc, it wont put much wear on the bgb.

Its about time to rebuild the bgb on my '64 landlord, 'ol smoky, which we named it that because of its little puffs of smoke here and there, after 53 years, shes still going strong, but i need to spend some time with her.

And on the 6 speed vs hydro, they dont really have any durability differences, the hydro MIGHT last longer, but it all depends on what you want to do and the shape of the other one, if you want an unlimited range of speeds, say for hauling heavy loads, or plowing, or even going up steep grades, i would suggest the hydro, as you can crawl in times of need.

• Alc and ACmowerguy have said thanks

#12 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,837 Thanks
  • 4,737 posts

Posted March 31, 2017 - 01:21 AM

I'll take a hydro over a gear drive any day.  With a hydro it's easy to match your ground speed to the conditions and a lot easier to go from forward to reverse.

In my case I have a YARD, not a LAWN, so I have areas that have thick, heavy grass, some with sparse grass, and areas with 'average' grass.  With the hydro, I just keep it at WOT so that the deck is working at it's max efficiency and vary the ground speed to match the grass.  When I hit the heavy stuff and hear the engine start to bog a little I just ease up on the pedal to slow down until the engine goes back to 'singing the song of it's people'.  In the light stuff, I can mash down on the go pedal and make up the time lost in the heavy stuff.

For snow blowing the same thing applies. You're going to have varying amounts of snow to deal with and a hydro makes it a lot easier to do that.

Edited by OldBuzzard, March 31, 2017 - 01:22 AM.

• Alc, WNYTractorTinkerer, Mark 149 J. and 1 other said thanks

#13 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 9,452 Thanks
  • 5,258 posts

Posted March 31, 2017 - 01:57 AM

Nice find..  Good Luck with it!

Singing the song of my people!

17424674_10208918718224953_3673323266749328975_n.jpg

• KennyP said thank you

#14 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,606 Thanks
  • 5,519 posts

Posted March 31, 2017 - 07:07 AM

The AC/Simplicitys were some of the best cutting GT's every made IMO.

• 637Yeoman and Bterrier have said thanks

#15 Bterrier OFFLINE  

Bterrier
  • 20 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted March 31, 2017 - 07:48 AM

I'll take a hydro over a gear drive any day.  With a hydro it's easy to match your ground speed to the conditions and a lot easier to go from forward to reverse.

In my case I have a YARD, not a LAWN, so I have areas that have thick, heavy grass, some with sparse grass, and areas with 'average' grass.  With the hydro, I just keep it at WOT so that the deck is working at it's max efficiency and vary the ground speed to match the grass.  When I hit the heavy stuff and hear the engine start to bog a little I just ease up on the pedal to slow down until the engine goes back to 'singing the song of it's people'.  In the light stuff, I can mash down on the go pedal and make up the time lost in the heavy stuff.

For snow blowing the same thing applies. You're going to have varying amounts of snow to deal with and a hydro makes it a lot easier to do that.

Thanks for the clarification.  It does seem that a hydro would make it easier in that situation.  

If I were to use the gear driven, would there be a way to control the rpm of the cutting deck at slower grounds speeds?  I am confused as to whether that option is non-existent or if it just simpler on a hydro