wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,714 Thanks
  • 7,423 posts

Posted March 30, 2017 - 01:30 PM

Most of us have our own ideas of how to store tractors properly, and many go to great lengths to protect show tractors, kudos, we need all forms of these machines. My theory is easily similar to most. Good but not great. I have indoor storage space, but unheated most the time. I have shed additions (roof but open face). I have so many tractors of various size and condition, but very few high quality restoration. I do high quality repairs and repaint with rattle can. I know this conforms to most as well. But who else parks fresh repaints out in the weather? When these tractors were new they were nothing special at the time. Therefore stored inside, outside, under tarps, under trees, or wherever they ran out of gas last. Most of my tractors are work tractors, I like them to look nice, but it doesn't matter if they get a scratch, I still load them up and take them to the show anyway. If lucky I wash the accumlated dirt and bird crap off ahead of time, by watching the forecast for a rain storm lol. And long term storage of tractors... Im creating barn finds for the next group of enthusiastic collectors.

I feel this will become an interesting topic, so be nice. But what does everyone else do? I know theres guys that blanket their stored tractors, but do you still set tools on the hoods? I dont even cover them before I use them as a work bench lol.
  • Bolens 1000, hamman, KennyP and 8 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,151 Thanks
  • 44,151 posts

Posted March 30, 2017 - 01:36 PM

I only have inside/covered storage for one tractor! That's Alice. Wish I had more roof of some sort for the rest of them.

• wvbuzzmaster, Cvans, MFDAC and 4 others have said thanks

#3 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,993 Thanks
  • 1,467 posts

Posted March 30, 2017 - 01:46 PM

I think I do fair quality restorations, I store them covered inside and don't abuse them, but I also let my kids enjoy them and if scratch it oh well. I would rather they have good memories than not being allowed to go near them. they are garden tractors not 75 to 100 grand muscle cars

Edited by jabelman, March 30, 2017 - 01:47 PM.

• wvbuzzmaster, sacsr, Cvans and 6 others have said thanks

#4 Traill95 OFFLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• Member No: 8763
  • 1,809 Thanks
  • 999 posts

Posted March 30, 2017 - 01:53 PM

I also do fairly nice Restorations and store my completed ones in the workshop. The Tractors waiting on restoration are parked in the 12 by 24 Yard Barn. I too also let my Grandchildren enjoy them. I will admit when I had Street Rods I didn't let my Grandchildren enjoy them. :D

• wvbuzzmaster, sacsr, Cvans and 5 others have said thanks

#5 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 7,988 Thanks
  • 3,862 posts

Posted March 30, 2017 - 02:34 PM

I keep mine inside heated and not heated garage/barn. I don't have any freshly painted tractors. I keep them in the condition I get them. I don't cover them. So some have dust on them in the spring. They do have to sit outside at times. Mine are all work tractors. And I set tools on the engine bonnets, carefully thou.

Noel
  • wvbuzzmaster, Cvans, MFDAC and 3 others have said thanks

#6 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,619 Thanks
  • 17,959 posts

Posted March 30, 2017 - 02:46 PM

If at all possible everything gets stored inside, Restored tractors are always covered and kept in a dry/mice free garage

Only stuff I leave out and cover is large attachments, parts machines and machines that are inline to be restored, knowing they will be fully restored at some point down the road it dosent matter if they get wet or rust a bit more than they already are.

I'm sure there are some exceptions but I think most people kept these in a shed or garage when they bought them new, for most machines they cost just about a half years pay at the time or equivalent of a small car and people really cared for and respected their investment. Thats why In my opinion you can still find mostly original gems with minimum surface rust and weathering as they were well cared for. 

• wvbuzzmaster, Cvans, MFDAC and 6 others have said thanks

#7 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 7,107 Thanks
  • 2,323 posts

Posted March 30, 2017 - 02:51 PM

My tractors have to earn their keep and while I try and store them inside the hoods, steering wheels and seats sometimes do get used for setting parts and tools, coats and my camera on when I have other projects on the go and space is at a premium.  I keep a piece of heavy cardboard handy and set it on the hood if I am going to set things like tools on them - the cardboard is easy to remove and store and prevents a lot of grease marks and scratches in the paint - if it gets dirty and gungy I just replace it with another piece of cardboard.  A clear heavy duty garbage bag can be used as a covering for the seat to protect the vinyl from grease, oil and dirt - lets you see the seat and reminds you that it is a tractor and not a work bench.

#8 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 1,548 Thanks
  • 1,254 posts

Posted March 30, 2017 - 03:11 PM

Bah, restoration is against my religion, but i would like to think that some of my tractors are nice originals, and i like to keep them that way.

Of course my profile pic tractor isnt super nice, as its my work horse.

But over the winter my angle adjustment rod for the snowplow scrape up the simplicity logo on the dash, i was mad, but i got over it.

My way of storing them is to stack them on shelves, or pack them rear end to grill to rear end to save some space, this is all done inside of course.

#9 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,851 Thanks
  • 8,688 posts

Posted March 30, 2017 - 03:45 PM

My best  ones are packed into 3 tent garages. Several are parked under the south deck with plastic bags over them. The rest are in the yard or woods with older tarps when available. Apic of one garage with 8 GTs and a dozen attachments. There are 6 concrete blankets that I picked up cheap. When I get my best tent garage set up permanently, they will insulate it so that a small wood stove will let me work in it in the winter. TSC put a great 12' x 20' tent garage on sale for $300 last black Friday week. Good Luck, Rick

SD531222.JPG

Edited by boyscout862, March 30, 2017 - 03:49 PM.

• Cvans, MFDAC, chris m and 3 others have said thanks

#10 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,021 Thanks
  • 5,876 posts

Posted March 30, 2017 - 03:50 PM

All of my tractors work for a living. They are kept under cover and visit the pressure washer on occasion. They receive regular service and are treated fairly. Other than that they are tractors. 

• MFDAC, chris m, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#11 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,780 Thanks
  • 4,882 posts

Posted March 30, 2017 - 04:00 PM

Every thing is stored inside at my place. No show pieces, the only paint that gets sprayed is to slow down the rust. I figure lasting memories are made by using and not by looking at a trailer queen. At least in the eyes of a young lad. Hoods are just the right height for a workbench and a seat right there for junior to sit and watch.
  • KennyP, Cvans, MFDAC and 5 others have said thanks

#12 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 3,921 Thanks
  • 2,309 posts

Posted March 30, 2017 - 04:22 PM

I repainted my simplicity 7016 because it was super rusty, the fenders, tiller, mower and ect were really bad. I had to do something before it was to late, I got the 7016 painted last fall and it's been sitting outside ever since. I don't have anything to store tractors in, I also have a Farmall 400 that I use for farming that was repainted, I also have a bolens and Kubota that are nice and they spend their time outdoors. I have a couple buildings that I am going to put up this summer, I am going to find room for all of them inside out of the rain and to keep the tires out of the sun.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170221_123859.jpg
  • IMG-20170219-WA0008.jpg
  • 20170321_151836.jpg
  • Farmall 400 Finished 013.jpg

• KennyP, Cvans, MFDAC and 4 others have said thanks

#13 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 1,282 Thanks
  • 1,493 posts

Posted March 30, 2017 - 05:19 PM

My shed is 10x20, so can squeeze in 5 garden tractors and other yard tools. I only have 4 tractors right now, so that works out good. Not big on restorations either, they are workers. 

LGTs 017.JPG  

• Cvans, MFDAC, chris m and 4 others have said thanks

#14 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,822 Thanks
  • 6,054 posts

Posted March 30, 2017 - 07:21 PM

Mine are all workers, except for the RAM which is the granddaughters ride.  All inside a closed building every night.  Have a couple that need painting bad but no restoration.  I grab which ever tractor is situated for the task at hand.  They were built to work and that is what they do.  No show queens around here.

• Bolens 1000, Cvans, MFDAC and 5 others have said thanks

#15 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• Member No: 5815
  • 2,892 Thanks
  • 1,469 posts

Posted March 30, 2017 - 07:31 PM

I have 3 workhorse tractors but only one at a time gets to be in the shop with two trucks and shop equipment. The other two each have their own little shed, but there's a lot of other junk in there with them. The snow thrower for the MF12 along with a Craftsman snow thrower and blade (with no tractor) all are outside.

DAC

Edited by MFDAC, March 30, 2017 - 07:34 PM.

• Bolens 1000, Cvans, chris m and 3 others have said thanks