• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 adamjd200 ONLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,883 Thanks
  • 2,011 posts

Posted March 30, 2017 - 09:47 AM

My dad had a wonderful spark tester. He would call me over and say,"Hold this screwdriver." Based on how high I jumped he knew how good the spark was.

Style #1 tester is convenient to see if the spark is "missing" or "cutting-out" while the engine is running.  ....It is easy to hook up in series with the plug wire and plug.

Style # 3 tester is quick, convenient, and accurate.  ...If the spark is not strong enough to jump the oversize gap, the ignition system is weak.

The most unusual spark tester I've seen was named Eric Bloehm.  ...He worked for us back in the 1970's, and I'll never forget him. :rolling:  ...He would hold the plug lead while turning the flywheel by hand.  ....If the muscle in his forearm near his elbow twitched, the spark was strong enough to start the engine.  ...If the muscle did not twitch, the engine would not run. :(

I saw him do this on B&S, Tecumseh, Kohler, & Wisconsin magneto ignitions.  ....At first, I doubted him, but a (conventional) spark tester proved him right 100% of the time.  :worshippy1:

I have taken a direct hit from a Wisconsin magneto, won't soon forget that one. I use the first one mentioned and have had no problems, I have one like number two around here somewhere but don't use it much.
  • hamman and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#17 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,219 Thanks
  • 17,846 posts

Posted March 30, 2017 - 10:10 AM

I use this style LED, which shows orange for strong spark and red for weaker spark, Engine can be running with tester installed

7731.jpg

• hamman, boyscout862 and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#18 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 4,047 Thanks
  • 1,888 posts

Posted March 30, 2017 - 11:18 AM

Back in the early 60's I remember the airbase I was stationed at had an auto hobby shop. There was a machine there that would blast the deposits off of your plugs and then test them under compression. There was a viewing window where you could watch the spark and you could adjust the air pressure to simulate higher compression. I recall seeing a number of plugs fail to spark reliably under compression.

YEP That brings back memories.   There was one of those in shop class in high school.  The rookie instructor we had in my senior year fired it up without a plug in it.  Blasted sand out the side at him.  A few of us got kicked out of class for "seeing the humor in it".  :D    Rick

We use a homemade unit.  Made from a piece of plastic round stock two pointed screws and a clamp.

Attached Thumbnails

• SUNP0052.JPG
  • SUNP0053.JPG

• hamman, boyscout862, 29 Chev and 3 others have said thanks

#19 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 5,161 Thanks
  • 4,545 posts

Posted March 30, 2017 - 04:21 PM

My dad had a wonderful spark tester. He would call me over and say,"Hold this screwdriver." Based on how high I jumped he knew how good the spark was.

That is what my wife said her dad used.....HER

• hamman and 637Yeoman have said thanks