#1 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 3,748 Thanks
  • 2,206 posts

Posted March 29, 2017 - 12:16 PM

About 4 years ago, I gave my brother in law and sister a sears garden tractor because their old junk wallmart mower would never run. My brother and I did a ton of work to it, we completely stripped it down to the frame, pulled the rear end and all. We primed and painted everything, replaced darn near every bolt and then touched up the paint on the bolts after they were installed. The engine was rebuilt and started 1st pull every time and it started in 3 pulls after sitting all winter. We were both very impressed on how this sears turned out. We put new tires on it front and back. We used 24-12-12 tires on the rear, they just barely squeezed in there and it was a even tighter fit with the tire chains. We painted up the mower deck and added a push blade for snow, I even put on a set of rear weights which was my only set at the time. Later on I gave him a 3-pt hitch, plow and cultivator which never got installed.

They used the garden tractor for one season, the spring after that the tie rod popped off (very common when they get worn) and I gave them a upgraded (home built) tie rod that had heavy adjustable swivel ends on it. The only thing they needed to do is drill the mounting holes on the front spindles a little bigger. They never really got what I meant and my sister went out and bought a brand new husqvarna mower, they parked the sears (luckily inside the garage) and it hasn't been looked at ever since.

At the time, I thought my brother in law was a little better at fixing/working on things or I never would have given him a old garden tractor. I couldn't help with it because they are in OK and I'm in KS, until recently I haven't even had a car road worthy for that distance.

Either way, my sister and brother in law are clearing out EVERYTHING for their big move to New Zealand in January and they told me I can have the sears if I want it, or they can just sell it as it is if I don't want it. I said YES I will take it! because they will never get much out of it the way it is now. Only if they knew I dumped just over a $1000 in to the old thing, they may not be so quick to ditch it cheap.

I'm not sure when I'm going to get it, I need to build a little trailer to pull with my Volvo first, I will probably pick it up sometime this summer.

Sorry for the long post/rant, didn't expect it to be so long when I started.

Attached Thumbnails

• Garden Tractor Tiller 002.JPG
  • Garden Tractor Tiller 004.JPG
  • Garden Tractor Tiller 007.JPG
  • Garden Tractor Tiller 005.JPG
  • Plow 021.JPG
  • Plow 024.JPG
  • Plow 012.JPG
  • Plow 027.JPG
  • Plow 020.JPG

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, Alc and 8 others have said thanks

#2 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 1,543 Thanks
  • 1,250 posts

Posted March 29, 2017 - 12:23 PM

That is gorgeous, was it originally supposed to be red and white?

weather it is or not, that is one darn good looking machine :thumbs: , and a Husqavarna will have been a tuna can 10 times when its as old as that sears, if it even has enough metal to make that many :poke:  :D

• boyscout862, BTS and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#3 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 3,748 Thanks
  • 2,206 posts

Posted March 29, 2017 - 12:37 PM

That is gorgeous, was it originally supposed to be red and white?

weather it is or not, that is one darn good looking machine :thumbs: , and a Husqavarna will have been a tuna can 10 times when its as old as that sears, if it even has enough metal to make that many :poke:  :D

Originally the sears was yellow and white, I knew my sister hates the color yellow and I know my brother in law wouldn't want to be on a yellow mower either.

If it was for me, it would of been yellow because that's my favorite color! :rocker2:.

This sears has some roper in it, I bought the sears and it came with a roper that had seen better days. But the hood was homemade on the sears so I used the roper hood and grill. There might be a couple other roper parts on it here and there. But sears and roper are basically the same thing

I think you might be shooting high when you say 10 tuna cans, I would say 7 max! :rolling:

Edited by BTS, March 29, 2017 - 10:46 PM.

• KennyP, boyscout862 and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,432 Thanks
  • 8,465 posts

Posted March 29, 2017 - 12:50 PM

I pickup used trailers(when I'm looking for them) for less than I can build one. Tires are very expensive for good tires now. Look around at used ones or maybe rent one. Good Luck, Rick

• BTS said thank you

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,220 Thanks
  • 43,339 posts

Posted March 29, 2017 - 12:52 PM

Good looking Sears!

• BTS said thank you

#6 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,604 Thanks
  • 5,518 posts

Posted March 29, 2017 - 01:12 PM

I was gonna say a custom with a roper hood. 

Very nice tractor.

• BTS said thank you

#7 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,884 Thanks
  • 2,494 posts

Posted March 29, 2017 - 04:59 PM

it's all Roper, that was who made those machines for Sears in the 1st place..... 3 miles down the road from my home...

• BTS said thank you

#8 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,111 Thanks
  • 7,548 posts

Posted March 29, 2017 - 05:34 PM

Nice looker there. Couldn't fix that link??  Hmmm!  I'm thinking of a Husky for the lawn mowing, so how did there's do?  I hear things I don't like about them, but they seem pretty good to me, don't understand why those problems come up?? I would have to get one of bigger ones tho, not the smaller.  There's for sale then if moving??  Too far away anyway, never mind!

• BTS and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#9 Natureboy OFFLINE  

Natureboy
  • Member No: 49649
  • 82 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted March 29, 2017 - 06:36 PM

Nice looker there. Couldn't fix that link??  Hmmm!  I'm thinking of a Husky for the lawn mowing, so how did there's do?  I hear things I don't like about them, but they seem pretty good to me, don't understand why those problems come up?? I would have to get one of bigger ones tho, not the smaller.  There's for sale then if moving??  Too far away anyway, never mind!

I have a Husqvarna GT54LS with the K66 electronic locker, 54" armor deck and a JBJR on it, no problems with it. Nice cut on the lawn and I even use it to mow my paths in the woods which are uneven and full of tree roots. Takes quite a bit of abuse, but I maintain it and am pleased with it. Only bit of advice is buy from a dealer, the units at the box stores wont take the abuse.

• BTS said thank you

#10 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,310 Thanks
  • 3,236 posts

Posted March 29, 2017 - 07:56 PM

Good looking Sears. I couldn't sleep until I got that back. Keep us updated.
  • BTS said thank you

#11 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 3,748 Thanks
  • 2,206 posts

Posted March 29, 2017 - 10:50 PM

I thought the tie rod would be a super easy fix but I guess not. The husqvarna they have is a cheaper one from home depot, after one mowing season he had to replace the spindle bearings  :(, but besides that, I think they've had fairly good luck with it. I still wouldn't give one to a monkey on a rock.
I believe it is going up for sale after this mowing season, but like you said, it's a pretty decent drive :driving_tbucket:

#12 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 3,748 Thanks
  • 2,206 posts

Posted March 29, 2017 - 10:55 PM

Good looking Sears. I couldn't sleep until I got that back. Keep us updated.

I'm not in a huge hurry for it, I have so much going on here I don't really need another project right now anyway. Right now I'm in the middle of a simplicity 7016, I got it all painted last year and then the engine went. I just got it rebuilt and I'm hoping to get it bolted down and running in a couple days (pending on time). I mainly just want a mower, I have been mowing my lawn with the 5' 3-pt finish mower and 4' 3-pt bush hog for way to many years now. :pushmower:

Edited by BTS, March 29, 2017 - 10:56 PM.

• Sawdust said thank you

#13 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 14,574 Thanks
  • 8,321 posts

Posted March 30, 2017 - 07:07 AM

Nice looking tractor. Glad you are getting it back. 

• MH81 and BTS have said thanks