• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jeffsross OFFLINE  

jeffsross

• Member No: 2436
  • 0 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted June 11, 2011 - 09:04 AM

I was mowing the lawn yesterday and suddenly there was a different pinging noise coming from the top end... I was quick on the switch and shut it off. I took the head off (TR10D) and found a pin of some sort in the head.

Luckily, the damage was minor and could be ground out. My quandry is where did the pin come from? I went through the carb parts diagrams and the engine manual and I cannot locate the part... it measures about 1/2" long, about 1/8" in diameter and has an end that looks like it had a C-clip on it...

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

#2 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted June 11, 2011 - 09:21 AM

must have been loud to be heard over a mower deck, an engine running full power, and if you're like some people, makeing hotrod engine sounds while mowing, no joke my neighbor does that some times. but anyway was it loud?

#3 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,671 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted June 11, 2011 - 09:23 AM

Do you have a picture of it?

Years ago I remember my Grandfather telling me about something similar happening on the Bolens 1000 with a TR-10D. He was blowing snow with it and it was making the same noise. He opened up the head and found a piece of metal broke free from somewhere.
I cant remember exactly what broke off or where it came from.
  • jeffsross said thank you

#4 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted June 14, 2011 - 06:13 AM

piece of a ring? and didnt you break any head bolts at all getting the head off?
  • jeffsross said thank you

#5 1967bolens collector ONLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 09:23 PM

its the screw out of the choke flap i had that happen on my 1050 an it bent my valve and broke the cam!!!!!! and it also happened on my 1250 an it broke a valve so now i have lock tight on all my tractors choke an throttle flaps
  • Bolens 1000 and jeffsross have said thanks

#6 jeffsross OFFLINE  

jeffsross

• Member No: 2436
  • 0 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 08:15 PM

Wasn't any lounder, the pitch changed... I was on the spot with the ignition switch...

#7 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted June 17, 2011 - 10:36 PM

well heres another story, a buddy stopped by to grab an old pool ladder and i was tearing the deck apart, he said on his 10 horse troybilt rototiller a screw off his carb got sucked up and into his top end. he said it did no damage just made a noise. it seems to be half way common.