• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#31 BoilerBrown OFFLINE  

BoilerBrown
  • Member No: 86303
  • 7 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted March 27, 2017 - 08:55 AM

I just pull the intake side off, put my finger on to feel for vacuum. Low key method of educated guessing.

Thanks, Shorty.

With it being a hit or miss issue I'm not sure how to time it out.  I obviously can't run the engine with the fuel line off but I won't know if it's surging unless it is running...

I will try the gas cap vent, check the fuel lines and double check some more wiring and let you guys know what I find. 

• shorty said thank you

#32 BoilerBrown OFFLINE  

BoilerBrown
  • 7 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted March 27, 2017 - 06:45 PM

Hey guys, did some troubleshooting today and nothing I did fuel related helped. The only thing I could do to stop the surging was press the park/start switch.

I started it, put it in either forward or reverse just enough that it thought about moving and waited until it surged. When it started surging, I manually pressed the park/start button and it smoothes out. Release the button and it surged.

I know that isn't the proper fix, but I went ahead and jumped out the switch completely. I'll run it like this for a while and wait and see what comes of it.

#33 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,779 Thanks
  • 4,880 posts

Posted March 27, 2017 - 06:52 PM

Starting to sound like a wiring problem.
Could be up by the ignition.

Edited by shorty, March 27, 2017 - 06:55 PM.

#34 BoilerBrown OFFLINE  

BoilerBrown
  • 7 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted March 27, 2017 - 06:55 PM

I think it is wiring. Just not sure what exactly.

I also broke the hydraulic lever clean off the hydraulic valve. Snapped the end of the actuator off. Got any ideas how to fix that without buying a new directional control valve?

Not having a great day. Haha truck belt started squeaking, u-joint failed, lost all my transfee case fluid and then snapped the actuator on the tractor.

#35 BoilerBrown OFFLINE  

BoilerBrown
  • 7 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted March 27, 2017 - 06:56 PM

Starting to sound like a wiring problem.
Could be up by the ignition.

Ignition solenoid or the key switch ignition?

#36 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,779 Thanks
  • 4,880 posts

Posted March 28, 2017 - 05:01 AM

I was thinking the switch. I am finding it odd that closing that circuit eliminates the surge. I keep coming back to the thought that you are momentarily losing the ground with it open.

#37 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,934 Thanks
  • 1,289 posts

Posted March 28, 2017 - 07:44 AM

The inline spark test lights are handy for this. If you cant see it while test driving, an old school timing light works too.

#38 BoilerBrown OFFLINE  

BoilerBrown
  • 7 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted April 04, 2017 - 05:09 PM

Well guys, by jumping the switch I stopped the surge.

BUT...today I threw the mower deck on and now with the implement switch pulled to turn the deck on, it surges again. Back to chasing wires I go.

Edited by BoilerBrown, April 04, 2017 - 05:09 PM.

#39 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,779 Thanks
  • 4,880 posts

Posted April 06, 2017 - 06:39 PM

I think the that safety circuit from the park switch loops back through the pto switch. Then goes to the ignition and out to the solenoid.

#40 BoilerBrown OFFLINE  

BoilerBrown
  • 7 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 10:42 AM

I think the that safety circuit from the park switch loops back through the pto switch. Then goes to the ignition and out to the solenoid.

Yes it does.

I jumped out the interlock module completely and have not had any issues yet.  I have mowed, pulled the roller, plowed the garden and ran the disc.  Zero issues as of yet. 

• shorty said thank you

#41 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,955 Thanks
  • 2,585 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 12:23 PM

Did that make your hour meter crank away with no key IN/machine not running​? I tried to do the same with my gt19 and put many hours on the meter w/o the engine even running so I had to undo my 1st attempted work around. If push comes to shove I will rewire it from scratch using my 1972 new Holland as a template. I currently have a jumper and toggle temporarily between battery+ and the coil+. But haven't run the machine in a while because I have to pull the engine to put (another) starter on.

Edited by dodge trucker, April 12, 2017 - 12:24 PM.

#42 Billy M ONLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 596 Thanks
  • 517 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 01:13 PM

At least you have confirmed it's not mechanical or fuel related.  Now to fix those electrical gremlins!

But haven't run the machine in a while because I have to pull the engine to put (another) starter on.

Don't you love it when you get to "practice" pulling engines and replacing starters?!  :wallbanging:

• dodge trucker said thank you

#43 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,955 Thanks
  • 2,585 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 05:44 PM

At least you have confirmed it's not mechanical or fuel related.  Now to fix those electrical gremlins!

Don't you love it when you get to "practice" pulling engines and replacing starters?!  :wallbanging:

yeah. the original one had a sticky bendix, I had bought a pile of NOS, OEM Kohler stuff from a guy on CL that was ~50 miles away, guy was cool enough to ship it... lots of good stuff in that box. One thing that turns out isn't as good as I thought was a brand new starter for a KT/Magnum series engine. I had to take it apart as I remember and built 1 starter out of 2 (the original starter off this machine makes 3)  I had one sitting here that was shorter in length than the brand new one. I do not remember what I needed off of that extra short one. but the brand new one had a corner cracked off of one of the magnets fastened to the inside of teh starter case, but since I took the broken corner out and still had "most of" the magnet intact I thought it would be fine. but, no.

So now I gotta yank that starter and swap the end caps and bendix off of that one with the bad magnet and swap them to the original one, which worked but seemed a little "draggy".... hopefully raiding all the good parts from that new defective one, and swapping them to the original one, will net me 1 good starter. This will be the 3rd time pulling that engine to deal with starter issues.

#44 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,955 Thanks
  • 2,585 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 05:46 PM

and THEN, I get to deal with the wiring headaches of the GT19....
When all is said and done, if I can only keep 1 tractor, I'm hoping it can be this one because it's the only tractor that I have ever had (of too many to remember) that actually has power steering.....

#45 BoilerBrown OFFLINE  

BoilerBrown
  • 7 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted April 13, 2017 - 05:17 AM

Did that make your hour meter crank away with no key IN/machine not running​? I tried to do the same with my gt19 and put many hours on the meter w/o the engine even running so I had to undo my 1st attempted work around. If push comes to shove I will rewire it from scratch using my 1972 new Holland as a template. I currently have a jumper and toggle temporarily between battery+ and the coil+. But haven't run the machine in a while because I have to pull the engine to put (another) starter on.

My GT16 does not have an hour meter so I don't have the problem you have.