• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 1,226 posts

Posted April 19, 2017 - 12:04 PM

Hi classic looks and runs good sounds just like a b&S 23, did you install a new aftermarket coil looks new.

• classic said thank you

#32 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 1,548 Thanks
  • 1,254 posts

Posted April 19, 2017 - 12:18 PM

Here's a short video of the engine running.

Sounds kinda clanky

#33 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 4,836 Thanks
  • 2,130 posts

Posted April 19, 2017 - 01:12 PM

Thanks GB. The coil is an NOS coil that I got from a friend. It actually has the old loop style end on the where it mounts to the spark plug. Yeoman, what you hear is the valves and tappets. The valve lash is .007 on the intake and .017 on the exhaust. This is the minimum clearance recommended by Briggs for this engine. After a fresh valve job the valves and tappets will "clank" for a while, especially when the engine is cool. After about 5 hours of use, they quiet down some, but you will still hear them when the engine is cold. If you don't set enough clearance, especially with the exhaust valve, the gap will close completely when the engine gets hot.The exhaust valve won't close fully and you'll have a loss of compression. Also, with the lash too tight, the engine will be hard starting. The Briggs 23DFB that I built last year for my other PK sounded exactly the same when I first started it. After using this tractor quite a bit, the valves have quieted down a bit and the tractor starts right up with no strain on the starter generator. Also, the sounds of the engine really resonate without paint on the tin work. Everything is well within spec in this engine, Yeoman, so no worries.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170419_140925.jpg

• chris m, MNGB, 637Yeoman and 1 other said thanks