• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 zazzo OFFLINE  

zazzo
  • Member No: 85599
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted March 26, 2017 - 06:07 PM

hello just swapped out kohler k341 (bad crank bearings) with a k301 in and running good . the wiring is a mess all safety switches were already been bypassed when i bought tractor . my plan is to clean up the mess and start over. my question is the front and rear pto can i wire them with direct 12 volt power and  fuses  or do they need special wiring such as relays? thanks  

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,714 Thanks
  • 7,423 posts

Posted March 26, 2017 - 06:57 PM

Electric PTO will be fine on just a switch and fuse. My New Holland is same except rewiring is tough. PO repainted tractor blue and white (i eliminated his white for straight blue). But anyway, he taped off some stuff, painted the rest. When tracing the blue wire... they all are blue lol
  • zazzo said thank you

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,714 Thanks
  • 7,423 posts

Posted March 26, 2017 - 06:58 PM

Oh, the factory circuit breaker is 15-20 amp, I think.

#4 zazzo OFFLINE  

zazzo
  • Member No: 85599
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted March 26, 2017 - 07:24 PM

thanks for reply wanted some input before i get started . dont like surprises .especially expensive ones!!!

• dodge trucker said thank you

#5 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,120 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted March 26, 2017 - 09:58 PM

too bad you're so far away, I could use that K341.... but I must say those crank bearings rarely go bad, that I have seen.

I have a GT19 and a S16H that I will be rewiring, using my  (sperry) New Holland S14H as a template for my new wiring harnesses. .

#6 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,120 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted June 24, 2017 - 03:09 PM

I was wondering if you ever got anywhere on this? I saw a very low model number version of these machines last week and it didn't have 1/3 of the crap on it.... No stupid module to go haywire.... And looked 100% original like it came that way when new..
They should have stayed with the K.I.S.S. principle on these machines like those early ones, less to go wrong with them that way.

#7 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,120 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted November 14, 2017 - 10:44 PM

well, progress.... finally got a little garage space back, rolled my S-16H into the garage, just got my harness in the mail from that NH S-16 that Dayton King parted out last month, wow, alot less "spaghetti"to figure out... my S-16H is either a 1977 or 78.   If I can find myself a new 5 pin pigtail for the starter switch,  I will probably build myself a harness from scratch for my GT19.  3 simple toggle switches for the PTO's and the lights will probably run large truck (semi) or marine switches.

have switched the tail lights to LED's and I know how much "juice" the headlights pull but not sure how much juice the PTO clutches will pull.

for now I may put my snow blade on this unit for this winter to get it some exercise....

Edited by dodge trucker, November 14, 2017 - 10:51 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#8 Billy M ONLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 616 Thanks
  • 532 posts

Posted November 15, 2017 - 10:42 AM

I have switched the tail lights to LED's and I know how much "juice" the headlights pull but not sure how much juice the PTO clutches will pull.

If I remember correctly, an electric PTO clutch pulls around 5 amps.  If you have a front & rear PTO, and plan on running them both at the same time, make sure you have the HD regulator/rectifier...the older style with the big fins on them.  The stock/small ones won't last real long running both PTOs.

s-l225.jpg

#9 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,120 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted November 15, 2017 - 12:08 PM

Yeah I have that style on this machine, with only 1 PTO. I bought a pile of OE Kohler and Briggs parts at an auction earlier this year that had a brand new regulator like that in the pile (more air filters than anything else, did get some nuggets out of the pile though)
I missed that regulator in the pile and went to a GT get together like a week later after I picked through what was there, (not good enough it seems) and that was the first thing a young kid picked up and beat me up on price, I think I told him$10, after a spiel about how Chinese ones are $30 on ePay, but only wanted to give$5 for a real genuine NOS Kohler one.
I let it go because I thought my machines had a regulator plug with the terminals in line not in an L shaped pattern. I got home and saw that I have 2 with the L shaped plug.
The machine that has the 2 pto's has the electronic regulator in the shroud.
  • Billy M said thank you

#10 Billy M ONLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 616 Thanks
  • 532 posts

Posted November 15, 2017 - 12:42 PM

Those OEM HD regulators aren't cheap, new or used.  Every Ariens I've seen that runs the rear bagger vac (using both PTOs) has the HD regulator eventually installed on them.  It's not difficult to convert the plug over.  Just make sure you leave the old regulator in the shroud to keep the hole plugged off.

Also...make sure you use switches heavy enough to carry the loads of the PTOs.  There are some really cheap switches out there.  Always check the volt/amp ratings of all your components to be safe.

Edited by Billy M, November 15, 2017 - 12:42 PM.

#11 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,120 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted November 18, 2017 - 03:04 PM

back to zazzo, since you originally started this post, did you ever get anywhere on your wiring issues?  haven't heard from you in a while.

I kinda took this thread over  definitely unintentional there. 

What engine is in a GT-16, vs an S-16? Isn't the GT version a twin cyl?   if it Is, and it is a Magnum series, the ignition would be a magneto vs a battery powered points ignition like mine is, meaning that wiring would be slightly different.  would have to be since they never made a KT16.  KT's have points in them like the K series singles.

I put a Magnum 12 onto a NH S-14 that used to have a K series engine (and may once again if I can free up some extra cash to send the original block+crank thru the machine shop)  and I left the ignition wire off since you DON'T want to send 12V thru the coil unless you want a smoke show and have money to burn to replace the ignition.....  I just wired a separate toggle for a kill switch on that one.

that said, I am neck deep into this thing now, and is turning into a start from scratch affair.  I got a harness from a member parting out an older NH that doesn't have any silly "modules"  incorporated into its safety system  but some of the connectors are burnt, and I found a couple of bare spots mainly on the wires to the headlights and to the PTO that need patched anyways  so by the time I popped the terminals out of the connectors and popped the connectors off of 2 other partial harness I had for salvage,  I am starting from Square 1.  Soldering and heat shrinking as I go.

I have done similar jobs on other tractors in the past, but I'd bet it's been 10 years since my last rewire-from-scratch of a tractor, it's taking a it to remember things....

I have an Ariens manual but it starts at 93101x  I wish I had one on the earliest models....

there are some differences in the wiring at the ignition switch vs some others I found online that have the same callouts on the back of the switch. 

On mine, they are marked B-S-I-R-A , have found some with same designations but terminals in jumbled order on "their" switches compared to mine. 

just gotta make sure that it is wired according to THIS ignition switch's  terminal positions. 

It seems from my Ariens manual, Ariens used the "I" terminal and the "B" terminal  opposite to  how at least 3 other brands' wiring  diagrams showed, that I found via Google. 

Speaking of which,  I looked around for a few minutes before leaving for work yesterday and found a bunch, spent several hours online after work and could not find half of what I had found that morning.  I had made some copies that did not come out as clear as I would have hoped they would and wanted to try again, my main printer is black n white, I do have a color copier that I tried on this computer that it could not find a driver, for but that Is beside the time I spent searching last night for what I had found in the morning.... and never did find a couple of the drawings I had earlier....

I have an old WH diagram, an IH one (782 I think, there were others to pick from)  a generic "basic tractor wiring diagram" that I liked the looks of, and the one that made the most sense among them was a 1973 Economy Jim Dandy diagram, besides the Ariens manual. all of these were centered around a Kohler engine.

#12 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,536 Thanks
  • 1,348 posts

Posted November 18, 2017 - 03:14 PM

What model number are you looking for

back to zazzo, since you originally started this post, did you ever get anywhere on your wiring issues?  haven't heard from you in a while.

I kinda took this thread over  definitely unintentional there. 

What engine is in a GT-16, vs an S-16? Isn't the GT version a twin cyl?   if it Is, and it is a Magnum series, the ignition would be a magneto vs a battery powered points ignition like mine is, meaning that wiring would be slightly different.  would have to be since they never made a KT16.  KT's have points in them like the K series singles.

I put a Magnum 12 onto a NH S-14 that used to have a K series engine (and may once again if I can free up some extra cash to send the original block+crank thru the machine shop)  and I left the ignition wire off since you DON'T want to send 12V thru the coil unless you want a smoke show and have money to burn to replace the ignition.....  I just wired a separate toggle for a kill switch on that one.

that said, I am neck deep into this thing now, and is turning into a start from scratch affair.  I got a harness from a member parting out an older NH that doesn't have any silly "modules"  incorporated into its safety system  but some of the connectors are burnt, and I found a couple of bare spots mainly on the wires to the headlights and to the PTO that need patched anyways  so by the time I popped the terminals out of the connectors and popped the connectors off of 2 other partial harness I had for salvage,  I am starting from Square 1.  Soldering and heat shrinking as I go.

I have done similar jobs on other tractors in the past, but I'd bet it's been 10 years since my last rewire-from-scratch of a tractor, it's taking a it to remember things....

I have an Ariens manual but it starts at 93101x  I wish I had one on the earliest models....

there are some differences in the wiring at the ignition switch vs some others I found online that have the same callouts on the back of the switch. 

On mine, they are marked B-S-I-R-A , have found some with same designations but terminals in jumbled order on "their" switches compared to mine. 

just gotta make sure that it is wired according to THIS ignition switch's  terminal positions. 

It seems from my Ariens manual, Ariens used the "I" terminal and the "B" terminal  opposite to  how at least 3 other brands' wiring  diagrams showed, that I found via Google. 

Speaking of which,  I looked around for a few minutes before leaving for work yesterday and found a bunch, spent several hours online after work and could not find half of what I had found that morning.  I had made some copies that did not come out as clear as I would have hoped they would and wanted to try again, my main printer is black n white, I do have a color copier that I tried on this computer that it could not find a driver, for but that Is beside the time I spent searching last night for what I had found in the morning.... and never did find a couple of the drawings I had earlier....

I have an old WH diagram, an IH one (782 I think, there were others to pick from)  a generic "basic tractor wiring diagram" that I liked the looks of, and the one that made the most sense among them was a 1973 Economy Jim Dandy diagram, besides the Ariens manual. all of these were centered around a Kohler engine.

I just picked up an Ariens service manual.What model are you looking for?

#13 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,120 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted November 18, 2017 - 03:17 PM

looking for one of the earliest ones made 931003, up to maybe 931012

I see the OP hasn't been on the site since around April, I took a chance and sent him a PM to see if he ever got anywhere with his machine, waiting for reply either by PM or by response here....

Edited by dodge trucker, November 18, 2017 - 03:18 PM.

#14 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,536 Thanks
  • 1,348 posts

Posted November 18, 2017 - 03:30 PM

One of these?

Ariens74.1.jpg Ariens74.2.jpg

#15 drbish ONLINE  

drbish