8 replies to this topic

#1 Little Eddie OFFLINE  

Little Eddie
  • Sponsor
  • Member No: 86116
  • 46 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted March 25, 2017 - 11:43 AM

We are working on the design for our DIY electric boat conversion plans, they are based on a 22' fibreglass cruiser, or similar size boat that is currently powered by fossil fuel, Our plans will remove the engine and associated equip and replace with electric motor, batteries and control system, it will also show how to install auxiliary equipment,

Lots of tips to make it very user friendly and economical to operate

We will post as soon as we have completed the project

Little Eddie

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2247.jpg

• Gtractor, Alc, hamman and 6 others have said thanks

#2 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 1,128 Thanks
  • 681 posts

Posted March 25, 2017 - 12:35 PM

Looks like an interesting project. Are you planning on keeping the existing drive and just transplanting an electric motor in place of the gas engine, or are you planning a whole new drive system?

Jim

#3 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 5,787 Thanks
  • 5,742 posts

Posted March 25, 2017 - 04:05 PM

Should be a fun project to follow along with. 

#4 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 4,590 Thanks
  • 4,298 posts

Posted March 25, 2017 - 04:35 PM

Are you planning to keep it a planing boat or make it displacement only? It takes a lot more power to plane, therefore using a lot more fuel.

Edited by toppop52, March 25, 2017 - 04:36 PM.

#5 Little Eddie OFFLINE  

Little Eddie
  • Sponsor
  • Member No: 86116
  • 46 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted March 26, 2017 - 11:08 AM

We have been testing and improving the boat for about 7years now, but are now working on plans for building it!

we use the original drive shaft and 3 blade bronze propeller but remove everything else, It is a displasement hull, top speed with the 4cyl gas eng was about 12mph with electric it is about 10mph and about 4hrs runtime, it is definitely not a speed boat and will never plane but very quiet and clean even under the deck, no oil or gas, cheap to operate about $2 for a charge and almost zero maintenance,

about the smell of diesel smell in the morning! one problem I had with the gas engine was when cruising with the wind behind you I found I was getting headache from the exhaust fumes blowing into the cabin, keep in mind this was an old 1970 1100cc engine, 

• Cvans and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • 4,590 Thanks
  • 4,298 posts

Posted March 26, 2017 - 09:13 PM

I had a 25' Owens that was a semi planing hull, with the 289 Ford it could hit 25-27 mph, but economical cruise was displacement at about 15 knots. Had the same problem you mention at displacement speeded, a tail wind would gas you out.

#7 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 12,969 Thanks
  • 9,524 posts

Posted March 26, 2017 - 09:48 PM

The fish would never hear me approaching. They'd still be laughing when I left, but they'd never hear me coming.
  • limebuzz, Cvans and Jazz have said thanks

#8 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 5,858 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted April 05, 2017 - 07:17 PM

I had a 25' Owens that was a semi planing hull, with the 289 Ford it could hit 25-27 mph, but economical cruise was displacement at about 15 knots. Had the same problem you mention at displacement speeded, a tail wind would gas you out.

My father had an Owens 21, he bought new. We used it up in Raritan bay NJ  in the late 50s crabbing and fishing, it was made from Mahogany plywood and built in Maryland. It was powered by a straight six and was pretty fast with a small cabin and head. It was an affordable boat for a working man.

• Cvans, toppop52 and Little Eddie have said thanks

#9 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • 4,590 Thanks
  • 4,298 posts

Posted April 05, 2017 - 07:47 PM

My father had an Owens 21, he bought new. We used it up in Raritan bay NJ  in the late 50s crabbing and fishing, it was made from Mahogany plywood and built in Maryland. It was powered by a straight six and was pretty fast with a small cabin and head. It was an affordable boat for a working man.

My 25' was a lapstrake cabin cruiser with a flying bridge, it had a 289 4 bbl Ford motor with a Velvet drive and a nibral prop. I sold my 19 Sleekcraft jet boat with a 454 Chevy and blueprinted Berkeley pump. I thought I wanted a cruiser for the family. It was cool for a while and I had my 17' Checkmate with Yamaha Pro-V 150. But eventually the off shore go fast bug got me, and I bought my Z33 Donzi Crossbow and never looked back.
  • HANKG and Little Eddie have said thanks

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: boat, electric, battery, solar, environment, quiet, pollution, economical