• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JDub OFFLINE  

JDub
  • Member No: 76385
  • 54 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted March 22, 2017 - 10:58 PM

Last week, after the heavy snow finally melted, I took out the recently rebuilt GTV18 pictured in my avatar to do some work in the field. All went well, until I had to crank up the throttle to get through some heavy mud. Unfortunately, when I did, the throttle stuck wide open. I first checked the throttle cable, but no problem there.

I next wondered whether the governor might've stuck. I tried to adjust the governor three times (loosen the nut on the arm, hold it to open throttle, and twist the governor clockwise while facing forward, then re-tighten). But, that didn't fix it.

Any suggestions from the pros here? It has an opposed twin Briggs. After all the work that went into rebuilding this thing, it's killing not to be able to use it.

#2 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 538 Thanks
  • 489 posts

Posted March 23, 2017 - 05:47 AM

While watching the end of the governor shaft as you move the throttle from idle position to wide open position which way does the governor shaft turn? Clockwise or counter-clockwise?

That is the direction you turn the governor shaft to match it with the carb. Tighten the clamp with the throttle held in the wide open position.

Start your engine.

Garry 

• JDub said thank you

#3 JDub OFFLINE  

JDub
  • Member No: 76385
  • 54 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted March 26, 2017 - 11:30 PM

Thank, Garry. I'll walk back through the steps with your input in hand.