14 replies to this topic

#1 T-Sox OFFLINE  

T-Sox
  • Member No: 86248
  • 23 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted March 22, 2017 - 08:57 AM

Hello!

I'm posting this here because the Terramite section seems to be dead and this is more of a Power King than a Terramite IMO.

I stumbled across this site by accident while looking for info on a Power King Terramite I bought. I was shocked when I did a Google image search and there was my tractor, chained to the same tree where I bought it. It was posted here;

http://gardentractor...r-a-power-king/

So I joined the site and I figured I may as well post up and see if I can get some advice. Here is what I bought;

20170102_142730_zpsctqcaohi.jpg

Not exactly a Gem but what do you want for $300 :D

The best I can tell it's a T-2 Terramite. Despite the way it looks, the frame, loader and backhoe of the tractor are straight and in good condition. No obvious welding anywhere and the pins are tight with very little wear. The most amazing thing is only 2 or 3 of the cylinders show ANY pitting. The plan is to find a halfway decent donor tractor and transfer most everything over.

I'm a little torn on the plan from there. I want to use this thing when it's done but I like the cool factor of it being old. I thinking kinda a resto Mod. keep the old look but add some newer functionality, IE power steering and joystick controls.

Which bring me to my first question, Has anyone ever beefed up the front end on a PK? One of my spindles is bent pretty good and I'd like to prevent that in the future.

• KennyP, Austen, sharkman and 5 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 36,532 Thanks
  • 44,982 posts

Posted March 22, 2017 - 09:01 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! Cool toy!

• 637Yeoman said thank you

#3 sharkman OFFLINE  

sharkman
  • Member No: 34759
  • 330 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted March 22, 2017 - 09:17 AM

A lot of work, but a good deal!

#4 Mark 149 J. OFFLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 1,879 Thanks
  • 1,107 posts

Posted March 22, 2017 - 09:37 AM

Welcome to the site!

I think you got a great deal!  Sure it will be a lot of work to fix it up, but for me that would be part of the fun!  Make sure you keep us posted on your progress and don't forget to take lots of pictures! 

#5 T-Sox OFFLINE  

T-Sox
  • 23 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted March 22, 2017 - 10:14 AM

Thanks for the welcome!

I found a 1614 that has been disassembled for a restore. The guy has receipts that the motor was bored and a new piston and rings installed. It's a Plan Jane PK with manual lift and such. It does have a mower deck. He will sell it for $550. Does this sound like a good deal. I'm an admitted PK virgin. 

• 637Yeoman and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,610 Thanks
  • 7,339 posts

Posted March 22, 2017 - 10:36 AM

Welcome to GTTalk !!      You should have a nice machine when your done .  Not sure about the price of the 1614 nor which parts would work on yours

#7 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,468 Thanks
  • 1,183 posts

Posted March 22, 2017 - 11:33 AM

I am always critical of rebuilt receipts, Now you have the person showing you the paper and the person/shop who you don't see who generated the paper and the mechanic who did the work. To many layers. Running/ functioning trumps receipts  every time. unless you are very familiar with the type of machine in question you wont know if it is complete until you get it assembled. I admit I don"t know  PK value in your area but I would  say he is asking restored value for a project. If you enjoy working on old tractors you have a wonderful project with your original purchase. I would start by doing a very thorough inspection and cleaning of what I had. Does the engine turn, have spark, compression, oil, Since you say it was chained to a tree all fluids should be drained and at least checked for water. I obviously don't know your experience skill or commitment level but it seams to me another tractor at this point would only be a distraction from a great project already in hand.  Remember we all have opinions and in the end yours is the only one that counts to you. Welcome Enjoy the forum and keep us informed, with plenty of pictures. Don't forget to check out the manuals tab at the top of the page third tab from the right.  Don

• Gtractor and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#8 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,832 Thanks
  • 991 posts

Posted March 22, 2017 - 11:34 AM

Looks better without the tree chained to it.

Welcome

• Alc and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#9 Austen ONLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 1,476 Thanks
  • 850 posts

Posted March 22, 2017 - 01:17 PM

Very cool!! Welcome aboard! Looking forward to following this project. :)

#10 T-Sox OFFLINE  

T-Sox
  • 23 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted March 22, 2017 - 02:31 PM

I always take those receipts with a grain of salt as well but he told me he can start it on the bench for me. That's at least something.

I've already looked over my machine from the outside and that's why I'm looking for a donor. The motor on the machine isn't the right one and is full of water. No saving it. The drive train of the machine has issues as well. The transmissions and final drives have Permatex showing everywhere. That's never a good sign and given the way this thing looks I'm not trusting the PO's maintenance practices. On top of all that the drive line seems to be cobbled in order to fit the junk motor that's on there. One bent spindle, play in the steering box, a clutch that doesn't work and not to mention no tin work in the front. Another tractor is going to be cheaper than sourcing parts. 

Working on old iron is kind of my hobby. I like Garden tractors with loaders the best. My Dad and I have owned over 50 of them. I can turn a wrench better than most and I can weld and do fab work when needed. Below is a picture of some joy stick controls I made from scratch for a Brantley Backhoe attachment. I was thinking about something like this for the Terramite.

20170316_170936_zpsg4x8fqem.jpg

• Gtractor, Alc, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#11 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,505 Thanks
  • 7,856 posts

Posted March 22, 2017 - 04:32 PM

I do believe that Terra-mite made there own frame and is little heavier than orig ones made by PK??  Still had most of the PK parts on it, just beefier, then later they made their own tractor, not PK anymore.  ON the Yahoo.com/groups is a PK site and couple guys with these and think might even be sites for just those.  I believe there or maybe here were links to sites for them or fixers of same.  I would think leaving it all on this chassis is best idea, just fix it up. There were heavier spindles for loaders made at one time, kinda rare.  Mission Manufacturing is parts place for PK, in Southern IN. Google it.  $300 was a steal!  Hard to belive that got that tractor.  We all wish WE were the buyers, heh!  I think putting on new controls would not be a problem, just connect correctly. They also have just the handles that will work on many valves paired up if you look in hydraulic catalogs. Maybe you could use your current ones, layed out diff, then the handle kits? 

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#12 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 5,268 Thanks
  • 4,644 posts

Posted March 22, 2017 - 04:50 PM

:welcometogttalk: 

Keep us posted with your progress!

Nice fab job on the joy-sticks too!

#13 T-Sox OFFLINE  

T-Sox
  • 23 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted March 23, 2017 - 08:51 AM

I do believe that Terra-mite made there own frame and is little heavier than orig ones made by PK?? 

You are correct. The frame is much more heavy duty and the loader / backhoe is part of the frame. There's no easy way to separate them. The plan would be to take this down to the frame, clean it up and paint it and then transfer most everything over from the other tractor. Motor, driveline ect.

It sounds easy doesn't it :rolling:

As I have been looking around I found a PK with just a loader on it and the guy will sell it. I'm not sure what I'll do with it but I'm a sucker for a loader :D

• glgrumpy and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#14 fshak OFFLINE  

fshak
  • Member No: 40161
  • 36 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted August 31, 2017 - 08:31 PM

Resized_20170128_150914.jpg
Resized_20170128_150903.jpg
Resized_20170128_150855.jpg

#15 fshak OFFLINE  

fshak
  • Member No: 40161
  • 36 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted August 31, 2017 - 08:33 PM

20160730_185005.jpg
20160730_184953.jpg      mine was left for dead at the cemetery were it dug graves for 40 years