8 replies to this topic

#1 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 4,528 Thanks
  • 2,085 posts

Posted March 21, 2017 - 06:26 PM

Due to old age , arthritis, and a little bit of laziness, I finally broke into the piggy bank and bought a hoist and lift table from Harbor Freight.  They had them marked down cheaper than I'd seen them before, and by making separate purchases I used the super coupons for an additional "savings".

The hoist is rated for 220/440 pounds.  But I'll be using it mostly to pick up motors and GT components.

I bought a 10' channel and rollers for hanging a barn door and mounted it to the ceiling and supported by the rafters. 

The lift is rated for 1000 pounds.  The lift table is only 27" wide so I covered it with some boards,  and

sheeting left over from other projects.   It is now 38" wide and 1" thick with cross-bracing underneath.

I had to alter the bend on the pump pedal since it would have been hidden under the new top.

Rick

Attached Thumbnails

• h1.jpg
  • h3.jpg
  • h4.jpg
  • h6.jpg
  • h8.jpg
  • lift1.jpg
  • lift3.jpg
  • lift6.jpg
  • lift9.jpg
  • lift12.jpg
  • lift13.jpg
  • lift14.jpg
  • lift154.jpg

Edited by CRFarnsworth, March 21, 2017 - 06:27 PM.

• Gtractor, Alc, Bruce Dorsi and 12 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 36,529 Thanks
  • 44,977 posts

Posted March 21, 2017 - 06:37 PM

Nice adaptions. Some time back, I adapted a 3000 lb. hoist to a channel like that! Did real well for anything GT related.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#3 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,832 Thanks
  • 991 posts

Posted March 21, 2017 - 06:38 PM

You can't beat having them up where you can reach.

• 637Yeoman said thank you

#4 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8592
  • 3,523 Thanks
  • 956 posts

Posted March 21, 2017 - 06:48 PM

Excellent additions to your shop, yep latch on to a Kohler K twin nowadays and there it still sets, I put a overhead winch in as well, now they will move when you want and where you want, your many joints are rejoicing, definitely high five-ing your brain for the purchase.

#5 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 3,202 Thanks
  • 2,880 posts

Posted March 21, 2017 - 07:41 PM

That going to save some back pain those cast iron engines are back breakers.

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,505 Thanks
  • 7,856 posts

Posted March 21, 2017 - 08:31 PM

Yep, levers don't reach when you widen these. I never thought of just bending. I actually cut mine and added metal to the parts going onto the lift mechanism.  One thing you will want to do is REMOVE the levers, specially the DOWN one when working on projects. Couple times I hit them by error and had project lowering down when I didn't want.  These come with a lock bar to put in the wholes below, but I don't always use it. I usually do if going to be up a long time, as the table does sneak down just a little each day if not used.

• Alc and Alberta Bolens have said thanks

#7 mrmd OFFLINE  

mrmd
  • Member No: 62285
  • 236 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted March 21, 2017 - 08:41 PM

That's a good deal Rick. Anything is better than crawling on the hands and knees. Are you getting them ready for Dan,law plow day?

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,972 Thanks
  • 8,664 posts

Posted March 22, 2017 - 07:13 AM

I've been enjoying my lift table for many years now.  I have noticed lately that it is having trouble lifting an Ultra so I may be rebuilding the hydraulic lift cylinder. 

#9 Alberta Bolens ONLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 749 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted March 25, 2017 - 07:25 PM

My table for working on GT and the like is a teeter totter with a hand winch to pull the GT up.  The frame was going to be scrapped at work, it had rollers on it for a track.  I put front GT tires on one end and made a skid for the other end, bolted the planks on.  The largest tractor I have had on it was a 455 john deere with blade.  When a tractor is on it, pulled up to the front there is room for the deck or parts on the ramp part.  I lift the one end with the blade to move it around if required.  It fits nicely inside my overhead hoist.  Which is rated for 1,000 lbs is big enough for anything GT related.  I also have a 2 ton engine hoist for heavier stuff.  It takes up to much room and I hardley ever use it.  So its stored in another shed.

The table is not perfect, there are few things I would change if I was to build one from scratch.  I would have it open one side or end on the bottom so I can get right underneath with a creeper. All in all it works very well.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170325_175314.jpg
  • 20170325_174654.jpg
  • 20170325_174825.jpg
  • 20170325_174844.jpg

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks