• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 skikir OFFLINE  

skikir

• Member No: 4017
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted June 10, 2011 - 10:23 AM

Ok, well, my lawn has worms. I have a part of my lawn that is bare. I've tried to put down Lome and reseeded and fertilized to exhaustion. I've used a couple types of insect killer and no luck. I've finally figured out the problem comes from earth worms. There are little worm casting mounds covering the holes and stuck in the castings are blades of grass the worms are trying to take down in to their hole. Anyone know how to get ride of earth worms? I know they are supposed be beneficial but I think these have gone rouge!

#2 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,745 Thanks
  • 1,395 posts

Posted June 10, 2011 - 12:04 PM

catch them and sell them to fisherman
you get rid of some and make money

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 10, 2011 - 12:47 PM

Got any kids? Sounds like a good project for the kids plus they could make some money.

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted June 10, 2011 - 02:04 PM

...I have a part of my lawn that is bare...I've finally figured out the problem comes from earth worms. There are little worm casting mounds covering the holes and stuck in the castings are blades of grass the worms are trying to take down in to their hole. Anyone know how to get ride of earth worms? I know they are supposed be beneficial but I think these have gone rouge!

I have never heard of earthworms causing a problem like that. Are you sure that it's not some other kind of burrowing insect?

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 10, 2011 - 02:40 PM

I have seen that, when I was a kid back in the 50's. We lived on a rdige above the river and our yard was like that.
Sold several thousand dozen nightcrawlers to bait shops for 30 cents a dozen and never ran out of worms.
My garden now is in a cornfield where Ag chemicals were used last year. I wish I had several thousand to put there.
I can't tell you how to get rid of them.

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,353 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted June 11, 2011 - 05:38 AM

I have always thought having earthworms meant your soil was in good shape. Something else is pulling those grass blades down the holes.

#7 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted June 11, 2011 - 06:17 AM

Sounds to me that you have a grub problem........

#8 skikir OFFLINE  

skikir

• Member No: 4017
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted June 13, 2011 - 10:35 AM

Well, I really don't have time to catch the worms and sell them. I have used two different insecticides for grubs and such simultaneously at double strength on it and no improvement. That area should be a dead zone for any kind of above ground bug. If I flick the casting mound off there is a hole that goes down at least 8 inches. Stuck in the castings kinda drawn down the hole are little blades of grass so I don't know what else it would be. I understand worm burrows can go down six feet! Supposedly, worms come out and scarf up dead vegetation like thatch or leaves but this area is bare ground so there is nothing to eat but any live grass that does come up. I've tried to plant new grass and it comes up fine but after awhile it is gone again. I have fertilized and watered and done every thing. I heard using using mustard powder irritates their skin and brings them up but I realized I would need about two gallons of mustard for a 100 sqft (1/3 cup mustard per gallon per sqft) it didn't make a lot of sense for the cost. (well, not yet) I've heard that using a sledge hammer by just dropping it a few times a few inches from the ground will scare them up. Maybe I'll put a few clips through my M1 into the ground and see it they'll come out with their hands up. I tried that once with a .22 and a mole in and around a flower bed. I was so pissed I went out and just started firing into the ground and it stopped. I don't know if I hit it or scared it away but it worked. I've thought about using an ignition coil and battery that might shock them up. I heard about using two rods and a power cord but I'd probably shock my self instead. I really don't want to turn this into a CADDY SHACK sequel.

#9 Rick Brumback OFFLINE  

Rick Brumback

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4355
  • 19 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted July 09, 2011 - 12:12 PM

Caddy Shack 3,The Extermation.