• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 farmtoybuilder OFFLINE  

farmtoybuilder

• Member No: 4850
  • 12 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted July 21, 2011 - 09:02 AM

I agree on replaced ider brgs. As they don't cost to much and will save you in long run! We use that trick for removing seals on them alot :smile1: And works great as long as brg is still tight- good. Make sure the new idler brgs fit the idler shaft tight. We have staked-penned shaft where brgs fit also to save buying new one. If its wore real bad then it would need replaced. Also remember to put some grease on the inner splines of drive shaft while you have it off and to grease the center brgs for it in front axle if you haven't done lately. As that is one grease fitting that gets neglected!

#17 CaptianRon OFFLINE  

CaptianRon

• Member No: 3996
  • 5 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted July 21, 2011 - 09:19 AM

I agree on replaced ider brgs. As they don't cost to much and will save you in long run! We use that trick for removing seals on them alot :smile1: And works great as long as brg is still tight- good. Make sure the new idler brgs fit the idler shaft tight. We have staked-penned shaft where brgs fit also to save buying new one. If its wore real bad then it would need replaced. Also remember to put some grease on the inner splines of drive shaft while you have it off and to grease the center brgs for it in front axle if you haven't done lately. As that is one grease fitting that gets neglected!

Yep I'm double checking for any and every fitting I can locate to make sure this thing is well lubed!!
Thanks for the help!!

#18 CaptianRon OFFLINE  

CaptianRon

• 5 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 09:09 PM

Ok it mows well until it starts overheating!! ARRGGG!!!

#19 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted July 27, 2011 - 07:42 AM

glad you got the mower deck problems taken care of.

#20 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,297 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted July 27, 2011 - 10:26 AM

Ok it mows well until it starts overheating!! ARRGGG!!!

What did you find out about the overheat? Do you mean the spindles or the engine itself?

#21 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,645 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 27, 2011 - 10:56 AM

They will run right up the the red on the gauge in hot weather. Be sure the radiator is very clean & clean the screen every time youy use it. Yours does still have the pull-out radiator screen doesn't it? They are a HUGE help in keeping the radiator fins from clogging. If the screen is missing, the fins will clog pretty fast.

#22 farmtoybuilder OFFLINE  

farmtoybuilder

• Member No: 4850
  • 12 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted July 27, 2011 - 11:12 AM

If engine is overheating, can be a number of things. 1st blow out radiator and make sure you can see through it(all fins open)! Wouldn't hurt to drain and flush it either. And make sure you put 50- 50 mix of water anti-freeze in it!!!! As they will run hot if pure anti-freeze is used, Check fan belt tension, thermostat and water pump. Check for signs of leaking at water pump weep hole. Also check water pump brgs for play with belt loose. Most time its plugged radiator and incorrect mixture of antifreeze. But we are also using some water pumps on them due to age- leaking! Let us know if your still having problems.

As olcowhand replied make sure you have rear cover screen for radiator. It's something we check- clean everytime we mow.

Edited by farmtoybuilder, July 27, 2011 - 11:21 AM.

#23 CaptianRon OFFLINE  

CaptianRon

• 5 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted July 28, 2011 - 09:52 AM

If engine is overheating, can be a number of things. 1st blow out radiator and make sure you can see through it(all fins open)! Wouldn't hurt to drain and flush it either. And make sure you put 50- 50 mix of water anti-freeze in it!!!! As they will run hot if pure anti-freeze is used, Check fan belt tension, thermostat and water pump. Check for signs of leaking at water pump weep hole. Also check water pump brgs for play with belt loose. Most time its plugged radiator and incorrect mixture of antifreeze. But we are also using some water pumps on them due to age- leaking! Let us know if your still having problems.

As olcowhand replied make sure you have rear cover screen for radiator. It's something we check- clean every time we mow.

Ok yea I've checked the screen. It had grass all over it. It was definitely hot cause I could hear the steam squealing past the radiator cap.
I'll refill it with 50/50 and give her another shot.

Thanks guys!!!!

#24 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 5,017 posts

Posted August 07, 2011 - 08:56 PM

An option for adding grease to sealed bearings that has worked well for me is with a large syringe. Fill the syringe with grease and ease the needle between the inner race and the seal lip rotating it as you go so as not to damage the lip. Then fill the bearing and remove the needle. After you do it once there is nothing to it and it saves removing the seal.

#25 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 5,017 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 03:03 PM

You may find as I did that you will actully have to pull the radiator and take it out in the sun and look through the fins. Radaitors can look clean from the outside but when held up to a light it becomes apperant that the fins are plugged in the center of the core. The air velocity is much lower in the center of the fan than the outside ends of the fan blade. Also the very top, bottom and corners of the radiator. Use as much water pressure as you can without bending the fins to flush with. If any fins are smashed shut take a small screw driver and carefully open them back up again.
While the radiator is out you might as well flush it out good. Bottom to top and top to bottom. Again with as much water flow as possible.
Good luck.