Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Welcome to Garden Tractor Talk Forums

GTtalk is the place to go if you are a garden tractor collector or someone looking for information on your favorite tractor. We have interactive forums, registry, tractor / implement manuals, photo galleries, articles, show coverage, tech tips, how tos, classifieds and much more.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which provides limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, vote on polls, upload images and attachments as well as many other special features. Registration is quick and easy and best of all completely free!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Photo
- - - - -

G4200 with RC44-G deck

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 CaptianRon OFFLINE  

CaptianRon

• Member No: 3996
  • 1 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted June 10, 2011 - 09:37 AM

I'm sure it's in the forum somewhere but for the life of me I can't find it.
Can anyone tell me where I can find the routing diagram for the deck belt of this mower?
I put a new one on and it seemed correct but it shredded within 100 yds. I had it kind of tight so it might have been a case of installer error?:(
Also If anyone has knowledge of some simple mods to increase the performance I would be forever grateful!:thumbs:
Thanks in advance

#2 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 254 Thanks
  • 1,497 posts

Posted June 10, 2011 - 09:49 AM

does this help?
Posted Image
https://picasaweb.go...otaG4200Diesel#
its not my picture, just one i found online.

#3 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 254 Thanks
  • 1,497 posts

Posted June 10, 2011 - 10:01 AM

I couldn't find the manual for the mower deck, but I did find the manual and parts manual for the G4200, I posted them in the manual section.

#4 CaptianRon OFFLINE  

CaptianRon

• 1 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted June 10, 2011 - 10:12 AM

does this help?
Posted Image
https://picasaweb.go...otaG4200Diesel#
its not my picture, just one i found online.

I couldn't find the manual for the mower deck, but I did find the manual and parts manual for the G4200, I posted them in the manual section.

SWEET!!!!!
Thanks man!

#5 CaptianRon OFFLINE  

CaptianRon

• 1 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted June 14, 2011 - 02:34 PM

Hey you have a belt size written on the front of the manual.
Is that a cross reference for the deck belt?
Just wondering if I can go to an auto parts store to get one?

#6 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 254 Thanks
  • 1,497 posts

Posted June 14, 2011 - 02:44 PM

That is just a manual I found online. Sorry I can't be more help.

#7 CaptianRon OFFLINE  

CaptianRon

• 1 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted June 14, 2011 - 03:02 PM

Hey no problem......thanks for your help!

#8 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 21,245 Thanks
  • 24,804 posts

Posted June 14, 2011 - 05:18 PM

Hey you have a belt size written on the front of the manual.
Is that a cross reference for the deck belt?
Just wondering if I can go to an auto parts store to get one?

I have that same tractor but mine may have a 42" deck, so belts likely different. I will double check. You'd think I'd know the deck's size, but she just mows on & on so I just forget. When I first got this outfit, I had to get a new deck belt, but like always, I don't write things down. Maybe I still have the belt's cardboard sheave.

#9 CaptianRon OFFLINE  

CaptianRon

• 1 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 12:24 PM

I have that same tractor but mine may have a 42" deck, so belts likely different. I will double check. You'd think I'd know the deck's size, but she just mows on & on so I just forget. When I first got this outfit, I had to get a new deck belt, but like always, I don't write things down. Maybe I still have the belt's cardboard sheave.

This site says they are the same belt.
If I'm reading it correctly???:confuse:

#10 CaptianRon OFFLINE  

CaptianRon

• 1 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted July 06, 2011 - 10:36 PM

Ok after lots of procrastination I finally replaced the belt on this thing. I also decided to sand blast the underside of the deck and paint on some EZ Slide. (Thanks olcowhand for the idea to do so) See Thread
Anyway after getting it together the blades seemed to labor the engine a bit much when engaged. I went ahead and mowed a small area to test things. When I was done the belt was a little warm but both outside spindle were pretty hot. (I greased them before I put the deck back on.)
Is this normal?
My guess is that I need to replace the bearings in the spindle, either that or I got the belt a bit too tight............or both??
Ideas???

#11 farmtoybuilder OFFLINE  

farmtoybuilder

• Member No: 4850
  • 9 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted July 15, 2011 - 09:06 AM

You need to check a few things before you put new belt on! spindle's, are they turning freely, and in good condition. check idler tension pulley! Normally brgs in it need replaced when it needs belt. The arm could also be bad, pulley-brgs not tight on it. Also check center gear box pulley for looseness on shaft, It can take keyway out and need new shaft and pulley. Check outer spindle pulleys. All should be free of rust on them, need to be shinny- smooth! If pitted and rough they wear out belts. And lastly don't buy a cheap belt! They won't work. Ever Kubota makes 2 grade belts. Lower cost one is still better than auto parts ones! This mower use a B88 belt 70712- 34712 is best one! But no belt will last if any of the above aren't correct. The G 200 series and G1800 1900's were a great mower! Wish they still made ones this good today. New ones are like everyone else's, not built to last!

#12 farmtoybuilder OFFLINE  

farmtoybuilder

• 9 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted July 15, 2011 - 04:07 PM

The spindle pulleys and belt will be hot to the touch. You can't lay your hand on them! If you checked all the above items I mentioned in my post you should be good to go! With a good belt.:smile1: We use to sell them and are very familiar with them. We sold over 500 G4200's when they were made (80's). Wish we would have kept one new in the crate! Along with a few other models. :smile1: And a lot of them are still running yet today. Decks are starting to go bad though and they aren't available from Kubota. If you have any question's let me know.

Jeff

#13 CaptianRon OFFLINE  

CaptianRon

• 1 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted July 16, 2011 - 03:34 PM

I can turn the spindles but they don't feel like they turn freely enough. The pulleys do have some pits in them.
I think I'm going to go ahead and replace the bearings. The tensioner pulley seems fine.

#14 farmtoybuilder OFFLINE  

farmtoybuilder

• 9 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted July 18, 2011 - 07:51 AM

The spindles on Kubota mowers turn a little tighter than other's! Not free spinning, As they have seals in them. You can remove pulley's from top of them to check, Use 2 large crows foots. also remove blades and check for stuff rapped around blade boss and housing. You can take a rotary sanding disc or wire wheel to shine up the pulleys.

#15 CaptianRon OFFLINE  

CaptianRon

• 1 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted July 20, 2011 - 09:51 AM

The spindles on Kubota mowers turn a little tighter than other's! Not free spinning, As they have seals in them. You can remove pulley's from top of them to check, Use 2 large crows foots. also remove blades and check for stuff rapped around blade boss and housing. You can take a rotary sanding disc or wire wheel to shine up the pulleys.

Well I removed the pulleys and found one bad seal up top and one seemingly good seal. I removed the mounting bolts thinking that the spindles would just fall off but they didn't. Is there a trick here? I put the bolts about 1/2 the way back in and tried rapping on them with a brass hammer to break the spindles loose but they ain't budgin.
The bearings look to be ok so I may just want to replace the bad seal and go with it?
thoughts here??

ok never mind I figured it out!!:wallbanging:
there was just alot of buildup around the collar of the spindle housing keeping it from dropping out of the deck. Gonna go ahead and replace the idler pulley bearings while I'm at it. They sounded pretty dry. I could remove the seals and put some grease in there but I didn't want to chance em coming apart and having to replace em anyway.

Don't know if anyone here has done this but the guy I get my dirt mike parts from showed me how to remove the seals from sealed bearings to actually apply some grease to them. Take a very thin knife blade and get under the seal. Rotate the bade using the dull edge around the bearing and gently pop the seal out. you'll find that on most sealed bearings there will be 2 small dabs of grease inside them. I put a nice layer all the way around the bearing. Darn things will last forever when you do that.:thumbs:

Edited by CaptianRon, July 20, 2011 - 11:12 PM.