• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hdheritage97 OFFLINE  

hdheritage97
  • Member No: 86243
  • 5 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted March 20, 2017 - 11:57 PM

Hey, how are you guys doing, maybe you can help me out? I located a Simplicity 7114 on CL, fairly good condition, very solid deck, runs nice, trans is locked and won't move. I have about a day to decide on buying it or passing on it but I need to figure out if the trans is fixable, replaceable, or if I should pass. The owner is asking $275 for it. He also has an Allis-Chalmers 912, fully functional, good condition, asking 500 firm. I can likely get the Simplicity for $225, or $250, and, I do like it better but not sure what to do about the trans issue. Any advice on unlocking it, where to find a replacement trans, or opinions on which to buy since they are essentially the same exact machine would be appreciated.

Allis-Chalmers 912.jpg Simplicity 7114.jpg

Cliff

• Traill95 said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,006 Thanks
  • 8,783 posts

Posted March 21, 2017 - 05:49 AM

Welcome to GTT. I've never heard of an AC/Simplicity transaxle locking up. Is the brake stuck on? You can download the manuals for the tractor from our Manuals Section. On youtube, Zippo Varga does a series about evaluating old AC/Simplicity tractors. I'm pretty sure there is one about the transaxle and the bevel gear box. Good Luck, Rick
  • hdheritage97 said thank you

#3 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 6,234 Thanks
  • 2,795 posts

Posted March 21, 2017 - 11:53 AM

There is a trans axle ( free wheel ) lever or bolt on the rear of the rear end lower right. Check to see if it is in half way or not. It rotates right and left I believe. Rotate it both ways then see if it will move by pushing it. If it does that's neutral. If not rotate it the other way and try again. If it moves freewheel.Then put it in the other position and start it and see if it will move.If not I'm sure it will be repairable but to what extent it's broken is another question.  Good luck.            Roger

• hdheritage97 said thank you

#4 hdheritage97 OFFLINE  

hdheritage97
  • Member No: 86243
  • 5 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted March 21, 2017 - 11:59 AM

Thanks for the input, I do have a slight update. OK, just spoke with him, he pulled the release located under the seat, it doesn't release. It can't be moved when running or not running. I could hear it over the phone and when he engaged the drive there was a screeching noise, sounds to me like belts slipping, he agreed with that and he repairs larger tractors for a living so I trust he knows a belt slip noise when he hears it. He did say there was a spring of some sort that was stretched out and flopping around, I have no idea if that has anything to do with the issue but he said that spring attached to the pulley, maybe it's some sort of tension spring? That's the scoop on what I know about it at this point. Any thoughts are appreciated and thanks for the input so far!

• hamman said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 7114, hydro, 912, hydro locked, hydro r/r