• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Bohica6284 OFFLINE  

Bohica6284
  • Member No: 56207
  • 6 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted March 20, 2017 - 01:43 PM

I don't know if this exact topic has been covered this way, I didn't find it when I searched, but then again I'm not sure I searched thoroughly enough.

So this guy (that's me) wants a new (new to me) machine. I have a nice Bolens 1050 with a lot of attachments, but it's time for something bigger and more capable. I look at all sorts of larger frame GT's, but honestly I get lost with all of the options and features they had over the years. What I'm looking for is advice so I can zero in on one or two GT's to find. Below are the models I'm looking into, but like I said I can't seem to narrow this down. Capability is important and I want 16HP or more, preferably closer to 20hp. Which have sleeve or 3pt hitch? Can you get a 2 stage snow blower for any of them? I guess what I'd like to find is the closet thing to buying a compact tractor, without actually doing so. The 2 things this will be used for the most will be light duty mowing and moderate / heavy duty snow blowing. I know a 3pt hitch is more versatile than a sleeve style, but I don't know which of these tractors come with what. A tiller and back blade would also be something I would use. I don't have Hydro or Hydra now so that's one thing I'd like. Looking at the list below, what advantages will one GT have over the next? Please let me know if I'm missing anything or any tractors. It's a lot of info, that's why I'm posting this way. But if you were going to buy a machine to do it all, what would it be and why.

Case / Ingersoll 400 series (446/448)

Allis Chalmers 620 or 720

Bolens 1886,HT20, HT23

Simplicity???

Cub?

JD?

Attached Thumbnails

• 10277760_10203687928779274_1247477475772428815_n.jpg

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,124 Thanks
  • 7,027 posts

Posted March 20, 2017 - 02:14 PM

Welcome to GTTalk ! A few more things you might want looking at a new GT is power steering , foot operated hydro , maybe indivdual rear brakes or diff. lock. . Rear pto . I'm sure I'm missing other things . Good luck on your quest !
  • rustyoldjunk, Cvans, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#3 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,404 Thanks
  • 5,401 posts

Posted March 20, 2017 - 02:16 PM

Welcome to the madness.

Do you have a budget? The big thing I see with looking at older, larger GT's is trying to find the implements for them separately.

If you can find a GT with the implements you  want, you may have to pay more, but you get match equipment.

With that said, I will throw in the Snapper/Massey 1655/1855. They run a 2000 rear pto so if you want a tiller, have to keep that in mind finding one. They also have a timed belt deck and the pulleys are NLA so they can be hard to find if needed.

Also, Sears sold a Craftsman FF series ( 18,20,24) they were build to go up against the JD 400 tractors. Again, attachments can be scarce but do pop up now and then.

• boyscout862, Austen, 64fleetside and 1 other said thanks

#4 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 1,537 Thanks
  • 1,243 posts

Posted March 20, 2017 - 02:33 PM

Simplicity powermax's have 3 point, and 540 pto. They have up to 20 (?) hp, and have all the pulling power of a compact, with a smaller size.

They do cost a bit, upwards of 1,000$, but you get what you pay for

• Alc, boyscout862 and 1oldbuzz have said thanks

#5 Bohica6284 OFFLINE  

Bohica6284
  • 6 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted March 20, 2017 - 03:16 PM

Well everyone has a budget I guess lol. I prefer older tractors, I just think they were built better. Having said that, I started out looking at new JD 500, 700 and 1023E along with other comparable models from Kubota, Kioti, Mahindra, etc. With a deck, blower, maybe a rear blade I'd be in the $10-13k range for the garden tractors and up to $19k for the compacts. Most were diesel and 4x4, the difference there is I can finance so what the heck right?. Now, I have a 1050 which is a small GT, but has front and rear PTO, locking diff and attachments are abundant.

I can find Bolens HT20's for $1800-2200, though they usually have few attachments. I can find 1886's once in a while as well. I can also buy an AC720 for $1000 right now that has no attachments. Bottom line I like heavy duty and versatility. The older GT's I look at are both gas and 4x2, which will be fine, I just want as much capability as I can get from whatever I buy. Honestly, the compact's I've looked at are way more than what I really need when it comes to mowing, but would be perfect for other tasks so I guess what would be best is something just short of a compact tractor.

• boyscout862, 1oldbuzz and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#6 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,474 Thanks
  • 1,557 posts

Posted March 20, 2017 - 03:34 PM

First of all  :welcome: aboard fellow PA'er.

Secondly I cannot help too much with the machines you listed.  I am a Cub guy and the machines I would look at in a Cub Cadet lineup would be either a 72 series, or 82 series "Cyclops".  When looking at a particular model the first 2 numbers are normally the HP of the unit and the second 2 numbers are the series.  

These are the Cubs I would give a look.

1772 (3 cylinder Kubota Diesel)

1872 (Kohler Magnum twin gas)

2072 (Kohler Magnum twin gas)

1782 (3 cylinder Kubota diesel)

1882 (Kohler Magnum twin gas)

2082 (Kohler Magnum twin gas)

2182 (Kubota 3 cylinder gas)

These are all large frame tractors with a Category 0 3 point hitch and also had a 2000 rpm available on them as well.  The diesels and the Kubota gas are going to be the most expensive out of them with the Kohler powered units more plentiful and less cost intensive to purchase.  They will all use a 2 stage snow thrower as well.  There are quite a few of these on PA Craigslist at the moment to look at.

Now in a large frame tractor I would also look at 400 series John Deere's as well.  My personal preference in them would be the following.

420 (Onan twin gas 20hp)

430 (Yanmar 3 cylinder diesel 20hp)

425 (Kawasaki twin gas 20hp)

445 (Kawasaki twin gas 22hp)

455 (Yanmar 3 cylinder 22hp diesel)

Any of these would be good machines as well as the other suggestions that have been mentioned.  It all come down to personal preference and how much you want to invest in the machine.  Good luck with your search.

• Alc said thank you

#7 Bohica6284 OFFLINE  

Bohica6284
  • 6 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted March 20, 2017 - 03:42 PM

Simplicity powermax's have 3 point, and 540 pto. They have up to 20 (?) hp, and have all the pulling power of a compact, with a smaller size.

They do cost a bit, upwards of 1,000$, but you get what you pay for

That price is fine. I believe the AC620 and 720 are about the same thing.

• 637Yeoman said thank you

#8 Bohica6284 OFFLINE  

Bohica6284
  • 6 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted March 20, 2017 - 03:50 PM

First of all  :welcome: aboard fellow PA'er.

Secondly I cannot help too much with the machines you listed.  I am a Cub guy and the machines I would look at in a Cub Cadet lineup would be either a 72 series, or 82 series "Cyclops".  When looking at a particular model the first 2 numbers are normally the HP of the unit and the second 2 numbers are the series.  

These are the Cubs I would give a look.

1772 (3 cylinder Kubota Diesel)

1872 (Kohler Magnum twin gas)

2072 (Kohler Magnum twin gas)

1782 (3 cylinder Kubota diesel)

1882 (Kohler Magnum twin gas)

2082 (Kohler Magnum twin gas)

2182 (Kubota 3 cylinder gas)

These are all large frame tractors with a Category 0 3 point hitch and also had a 2000 rpm available on them as well.  The diesels and the Kubota gas are going to be the most expensive out of them with the Kohler powered units more plentiful and less cost intensive to purchase.  They will all use a 2 stage snow thrower as well.  There are quite a few of these on PA Craigslist at the moment to look at.

Now in a large frame tractor I would also look at 400 series John Deere's as well.  My personal preference in them would be the following.

420 (Onan twin gas 20hp)

430 (Yanmar 3 cylinder diesel 20hp)

425 (Kawasaki twin gas 20hp)

445 (Kawasaki twin gas 22hp)

455 (Yanmar 3 cylinder 22hp diesel)

Any of these would be good machines as well as the other suggestions that have been mentioned.  It all come down to personal preference and how much you want to invest in the machine.  Good luck with your search.

Thanks for all that info. Yeah I have a good friend who's a Cub nut, he's got a bunch and does all the tractor pulls. He's always trying to sell me on a Cub, but I think one of the things that keeps me from looking into them is the lack of a front PTO to run a snow blower. They have a different drive system for that don't they? JD's in the 400 series are always listed for way more than they should be IMO. I've looked at 425's, they're usually $3500-4500 and I think I can get more for less money.

• Alc said thank you

#9 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,474 Thanks
  • 1,557 posts

Posted March 20, 2017 - 04:47 PM

I think one of the things that keeps me from looking into them is the lack of a front PTO to run a snow blower. They have a different drive system for that don't they? 

The snow blower runs off of the crankshaft pulley because they have an electric clutch on them.

• Alc said thank you

#10 Doug E. ONLINE  

Doug E.
  • Member No: 78641
  • 178 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted March 20, 2017 - 04:56 PM

I can't comment on any of the tractors listed except Bolens, as it is the only brand I have experience with.

Don't discount the Bolens tube frame H14 and H16.  Attachments are easier to find, and both are effective in moving snow with a single stage blower. 

Also consider the Medium frame tractors.  They are very capable, but I have had trouble finding a tiller for my G-16xl.  Attachments just don't seem to be very common here.  I have been using my G-16xl for snowblowing with the single stage blower, and it does very well.  My only complaint with the is set up is that an H16xl or H18xl would work better because of the variable groundspeed that can be used to match the snow conditions.  If the snow is powder, I have no problems, but if it is wet, I can't let the snow get deeper than about 10", or the low gear on the G16xl is too fast for the volume of snow I need to move vs the available HP to drive the tractor and snowblower.  I have a 250' driveway with generous parking area that I snowblow.  I added rubber wipers to the single stage snowblower, and can run through a puddle of slush and water, and it will blow both without plugging the chute.  I have to blow snow ahead of me in one area, and reblow it farther forward.  This takes more HP, but the tractor will still do it if I slow my ground speed.  The rubber helps again if the snow is wet. 

Other options are the H5020 or H5117 diesel.  Single and two stage blowers are available for these, but I have found like the medium frames, attachments are hard to come by in my local.  I'm looking for a tiller to fit my diesel also.  these two also have the two speed rear end like the Ht23. 

You already have large frames listed, so no need for me to comment on them, other than they are very capable.  I did pick up a nearly new Bermac two stage blower to fit up to a large frame to replace the single stage which has been well used. 

I have found the Bolens tractors I have listed as very satisfactory for my needs, and if I had only one model, any of these I mentioned I would be very content with.  I live in a snow belt, so as you might surmise, snowblowing capabilities are the biggest concern for me.  Tilling and mowing just don't require as heavy or powerful tractor.  If I got to choose what I wanted, I would probably pick a large frame with a healthy diesel conversion.  I'm a believer in weight and as much hp as I can reasonably get for snowblowing. 

I got started on Bolens on the recommendation of a friend.  I have found the vintage machines to be robust and made to be maintained, and not throw aways.  Aside from a Craftsman 18 horse I picked up (because it was cheap and had an Onan engine), I have not strayed from Bolens.  They meet my needs.  I have also shopped carefully and frugally.  Bargains are still out there if you search. 

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Doug

#11 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,091 Thanks
  • 8,266 posts

Posted March 20, 2017 - 05:04 PM

Welcome to GTT. A LF Bolens may be your best bet. When I need bigger than my Bolens 1250, I go to my Ford 2000 farm tractor.

GTs are a treasure hunt so, be flexible. Look around, check CL, go to swap meets and tractor shows. Something will come along. Do your research now to recognize a good deal when one comes along. Many times a relative will have just what you need sitting in the back of a barn. Make sure that you have the ability to move the machine. Good Luck, Rick

#12 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 1,537 Thanks
  • 1,243 posts

Posted March 20, 2017 - 05:09 PM

That price is fine. I believe the AC620 and 720 are about the same thing.

Same thing, just different 'brands'  :(

Allis made simplicity, which is why there is such a similarity between the two, Simplicity did own itself, then got bought out, then they bought it back out, and they make there own tractors today.

#13 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 1,396 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted March 20, 2017 - 05:34 PM

I have an allis chalmers 620 and its a beast

#14 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 1,396 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted March 20, 2017 - 05:35 PM

60" deck that weighs 300lbs

#15 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,211 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted March 20, 2017 - 06:55 PM

Actually 620 and 720 are both allis chalmers tractors built by simplicity I believe and the powermax tractors are the simplicity badged equivalent.