Garden Tractor Forums banner

Columbia River Gorge trip for a Cub, Bolen, and Plow

3K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  EricR 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I had an amazing day with my son today. We drove to Camas Washington to get a Cub 123 and also ended up with a Bolen 1050 and a Simplicity(?) plow. The round trip was a little under 400 miles and the sky was blue and sunny for the first time in a while. We took lots of picture to show people what the Columbia River Gorge looks like and of coarse we have pictures of our purchase so sit back and enjoy the story and pictures of our trip.

We left this morning at about 8:30 with our 5th wheel flat bed trailer that I purchase during December. This was the first time using this trailer to haul some tractors and I was anxious to see how it would perform.

Wheel Tire Cloud Sky Plant

We headed South out of Kennewick on Interstate 82 (I82). You have to climb several hundred feet to get out of town. The hills are called the Horse Heaven Hills. I don't know why they are called that but there is a lot of sage brush and wheat field for a far as the eye can see in all directions.

Cloud Sky Natural landscape Horizon Landscape
Cloud Sky Natural landscape Horizon Landscape

At about 23 miles you hit the might Columbia River. The first hydroelectric dam that we get to see is McNary Dam. This is next to a town called Hermiston Oregon. We crossover the river here because Interstate 84(I84) heads West down the gorge towards Camas.

Water Cloud Sky Lake Overhead power line

They have been lowering the water behind the dams in expectation of the all of the runoff from the snow pack in the mountains.

At the point where I82 joints the I84 you start to come across a bunch of concrete and dirt bunkers on the Umatilla Army Depot. These bunkers were once filled with biological weapons of war such as mustard gas and other deadly creations. Over the last ten years the army has been incinerating the active agents of the weapons in custom built incinerators right next to the depot. They finished about 1 year ago. Thankfully the job was safely and thoroughly completed without any harm to the public.

Cloud Sky Mirror Automotive mirror Tints and shades
Cloud Sky Ecoregion Asphalt Road surface

As you drive further West on I84 you come across the first of 3 volcanoes. Mt. Hood(Oregon) is dormant with an elevation of 11,240 ft.. Here is what she looks like from the road.

Sky Road surface Asphalt Cloud Natural landscape

As you get closer to Mt. Hood you come across a small Native American village at Celilo Falls. The falls is now underwater after John Day dam was built. Here is what is used to look like.

Corps-engineers-archives_celilo_falls_co

The village is mostly modern houses on a small flat area next to the river separated by the I84. Here is a picture of their long house.

Ecoregion Sky Building Plant Land lot
Tree Brickwork Roof Brick Wood

Followed by John Day dam

Water Sky Water resources Cloud Asphalt
Water Building Transport hub Vehicle Atmospheric phenomenon

The next dam is The Dalles at the town of Dalles.

Water Sky Cloud Water resources Mountain
Water Sky Water resources Plant Building

You notice that Mt. Hood now has cloud on it which is a common occurrence when moist air comes in contact with the cold air from the snow pack.

Further down the gorge the water was calm and you could see the reflection of the Washington side on the surface of the river.

Water Sky Cloud Water resources Mountain
This picture for some reason is appearing upside down. Can't seem to change it.

This is not very common because the wind is funneled along the gorge at great speeds. As a result, the gorge is an ideal spot for giant wind turbines. There a several hundreds found on both sides. Here are just a couple.

Sky Cloud Mountain Wind turbine Highland

At the town of Hood River you can a glimpse of the 2nd Volcano called Mt. Adams(Washington). It too is dormant and makes a great place to go camping. It is one of our favorites place to go during the hot days of summer. Elevation 12,281 ft.

Water Sky Mountain Plant Lake

See what happens in part 2

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice story and photos. Just went through there last month. Luckily we had good weather going both ways also. Beautiful drive for those that haven't been through there before and they used to raise some really good watermelons in Hermiston. Maybe still do during the season.

#3 ·
I worked a boiler shutdown at the paper mill in Camas about 04. Nice little town and a beautiful drive down the gorge to get there. Was about this time of year and I hit snow in the Stigerwald Wild life preserve. Evergreen Highway 14. Not nearly as nice a highway as 84 but a beautiful drive and doesn't require getting near Portland. What no pictures of the tractors? Don

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Part 2

After the town of Hood River you come across a spectacular water fall called Multnomah Falls

361a55b5d32fd53dfd734174c03fc67e.jpg

My picture doesn't do it just so I found this one on the net.

After the falls is Bonneville Dam.

Water Sky Cloud Mountain Vehicle

As you enter into Portland you get to see the last of the volcanoes. Mt St. Helens(Washington)! You can only see a part of it because the top 1/3rd was blow away by the May 18,1980 eruption. It's sleeping right now but it has been known to send out steam and ash at random times.

Cloud Sky Azure Tree Plant
Another photo that is upside down.

We finally arrived at the sellers property and I liked what I saw. It's been stored in a shed for about ten years. The PO said he had planned on getting it running all along but just never seemed to find the time. We loaded the tractor onto the trailer and this is what she looked like.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

She has been repainted and the motor doesn't run but does have compression. That's ok with me because my son wants to change the color and it's not to hard to get these engines running.

After loading the Cub 123 the owner said I could have a old Bolen that he had parked under a tree. The hood wasn't on this tractor so the motor has been sitting out in the open for a long time. The PO said his friend was using it one day and all of a sudden it stopped working. He said I could have it if I wanted it so I looked it over and said "Sure". He lifted it onto the trailer with his tractor because the back wheels won't turn. She's very ruff so we will see what happens with this one.

Tire Vehicle Wheel Plant Window

After we loaded the Bolen I asked if he had anything else for it and he said "Yes, I've got the hood and grill". Hurry! We went to another shed and pulled it out and put it in the back of the pickup bed. The hood say's it a 1050.

One of the last things that I asked him was "Do you have anything else like implements that you might be getting rid of" and he said "I got a plow" so we went and looked at it. It looked like it was in useable shape so he said he needed $35 dollars for it. We shook hands and loaded it up onto the trailer. He thought it came off of a Simplicity but he wasn't sure. I didn't know either but I did know it had a sleeve hitch.

Plant Saw Automotive tire Chainsaw Tire

We arrived back home at about 6:30 and left everything sit on the trailer.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky Automotive tire

Here's what the Bolen looks like with the hood and grill.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Some of the pictures where taken on our return which might be confusing to those that notice the change in the amount of sunlight in the pictures.

Hope you enjoyed the trip and the story!

My son took a lot of the scenic pictures because I was driving. Not to bad for a ten year old.

Glasses Vision care Vehicle Motor vehicle Smile

Attachments

#5 ·
Nice story and photos. Just went through there last month. Luckily we had good weather going both ways also. Beautiful drive for those that haven't been through there before and they used to raise some really good watermelons in Hermiston. Maybe still do during the season.
Thanks!

Hermiston still produces vast amount of melons of all types.

#6 ·
The name Horse Heaven hills comes from the old days. It was said that when the area was homesteaded the native grass was tall as a horses belly. So the area was known as that. The further west you go the better the soil, and the better the grass grew. The area south of Prosser had the best grass. Of course now there is a lot of irrigation up there and great crops. The largest carrot farm in the country is south of Mabton, near the Columbia river. ( about five miles above the river). That drive you took is really something to see. In the summer, at day light Mt. Hood gets a pink/rose color, really beautiful. The place I have a Goldendale has a perfect view of it.
Good luck with you new purchases.

#8 ·
That Bolens definitely looks like it lived under a western Washington fir tree? Don
They call that patina!

That doubles it value! :smilewink:

#9 ·
The name Horse Heaven hills comes from the old days. It was said that when the area was homesteaded the native grass was tall as a horses belly. So the area was known as that. The further west you go the better the soil, and the better the grass grew. The area south of Prosser had the best grass. Of course now there is a lot of irrigation up there and great crops. The largest carrot farm in the country is south of Mabton, near the Columbia river. ( about five miles above the river). That drive you took is really something to see. In the summer, at day light Mt. Hood gets a pink/rose color, really beautiful. The place I have a Goldendale has a perfect view of it.
Good luck with you new purchases.
I've lived in Kennewick most of my life and I've never heard that story. I'll have to remember that one the next time I talk to my brother and sisters who still live in the area.

Reactions: KennyP
#11 ·
I worked a boiler shutdown at the paper mill in Camas about 04. Nice little town and a beautiful drive down the gorge to get there. Was about this time of year and I hit snow in the Stigerwald Wild life preserve. Evergreen Highway 14. Not nearly as nice a highway as 84 but a beautiful drive and doesn't require getting near Portland. What no pictures of the tractors? Don
You can always smell the paper mill before you get into Camas. My brother works at the Wallula Gap Boise plant and the car he drives to work smell just as bad.

I took 14 back to Hood River on my way back. The road had potholes all over and they started charging a toll again at the Hood River bridge.

#12 ·
I can remember following a VW van through the gorge when the the wind was blowing hard. First time I'd seen a vehicle get blown from one lane to the next. Did it over and over again. I'll bet the people in there were on pins and needles.
We followed a VW bug down the gorge , back in the 1980's, that had luggage on the roof. The luggage was tied to the rack but was hovering with a 2 inch air gap between the roof and the luggage. The wind was a steady 50 mph.

#13 ·
Part 2

After the town of Hood River you come across a spectacular water fall called Multnomah Falls

361a55b5d32fd53dfd734174c03fc67e.jpg

My picture doesn't do it just so I found this one on the net.

After the falls is Bonneville Dam.

attachicon.gif
20170319_111637.jpg

As you enter into Portland you get to see the last of the volcanoes. Mt St. Helens(Washington)! You can only see a part of it because the top 1/3rd was blow away by the May 18,1980 eruption. It's sleeping right now but it has been known to send out steam and ash at random times.

attachicon.gif
post-78623-0-45232300-1489982888.jpg Another photo that is upside down.

We finally arrived at the sellers property and I liked what I saw. It's been stored in a shed for about ten years. The PO said he had planned on getting it running all along but just never seemed to find the time. We loaded the tractor onto the trailer and this is what she looked like.

attachicon.gif
20170319_133720.jpg

She has been repainted and the motor doesn't run but does have compression. That's ok with me because my son wants to change the color and it's not to hard to get these engines running.

After loading the Cub 123 the owner said I could have a old Bolen that he had parked under a tree. The hood wasn't on this tractor so the motor has been sitting out in the open for a long time. The PO said his friend was using it one day and all of a sudden it stopped working. He said I could have it if I wanted it so I looked it over and said "Sure". He lifted it onto the trailer with his tractor because the back wheels won't turn. She's very ruff so we will see what happens with this one.

attachicon.gif
20170319_133727.jpg

After we loaded the Bolen I asked if he had anything else for it and he said "Yes, I've got the hood and grill". Hurry! We went to another shed and pulled it out and put it in the back of the pickup bed. The hood say's it a 1050.

One of the last things that I asked him was "Do you have anything else like implements that you might be getting rid of" and he said "I got a plow" so we went and looked at it. It looked like it was in useable shape so he said he needed $35 dollars for it. We shook hands and loaded it up onto the trailer. He thought it came off of a Simplicity but he wasn't sure. I didn't know either but I did know it had a sleeve hitch.

attachicon.gif
20170319_133708.jpg

We arrived back home at about 6:30 and left everything sit on the trailer.

attachicon.gif
20170319_183455.jpg

Here's what the Bolen looks like with the hood and grill.

attachicon.gif
20170319_184029.jpg

Some of the pictures where taken on our return which might be confusing to those that notice the change in the amount of sunlight in the pictures.

Hope you enjoyed the trip and the story!

My son took a lot of the scenic pictures because I was driving. Not to bad for a ten year old.

attachicon.gif
20170319_100339.jpg
Thanks for fixing the picture Kenny!

#15 ·
Years ago when growing up in Portland the smell of the Camas paper mill would get so strong it would almost gag you. Then they changed the way their digesters (sp?) worked and it got a lot better. That was nasty.
If the wind comes from the East we get the Boise plant smell in Kennewick. For those that don't know what that smell is like think rotten egg smell.

Reactions: Cvans
#16 ·
You can always smell the paper mill before you get into Camas. My brother works at the Wallula Gap Boise plant and the car he drives to work smell just as bad.

I took 14 back to Hood River on my way back. The road had potholes all over and they started charging a toll again at the Hood River bridge.
Washington spends its highway money in Seattle. Don

#18 ·
Your Son does a nice job with the camera. :thumbs:

Before they built the dam it used to be fun watching them catch salmon from those rickety platforms. OSHA would have had a total fit. :D
That was before my time! :D

#21 ·
Folks who live near our local paper mill call it the "smell of money"
I can understand them calling it that. I liken it to a drunken football player who just ate a dozen deviled eggs.

#22 ·
People complain about the smell now. Back before they installed recovery boilers it was much worse. In Everett Wash it was so bad it took the chrome off cars. Don
Sounds like the sulfur in the air was mixing with the water vapor to create sulfuric acid or acid rain.

#23 ·
Thanks you for sharing!

Some absolutely beautiful counrty up that way, and I thank you for showing us all here.

Nice score, great story, beautiful pics, and a great day! What else is there?

Reactions: Mark 149 J.
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.