• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#76 Joe Knife OFFLINE  

Joe Knife
  • Member No: 59190
  • 104 Thanks
  • 106 posts

Posted June 15, 2017 - 03:05 PM

Solved my valve spring problem without removing the tappet adjustment screws. The spring compressor tool I had bought came with two sets of jaws so I took them both off and bolted them together and used them in conjunction with a C clamp to compress the spring enough to fit in between the tappet and the valve guide

IMG_5442.JPG

IMG_5443.JPG
  • jhn9840 and LilysDad have said thanks

#77 Joe Knife OFFLINE  

Joe Knife
  • 104 Thanks
  • 106 posts

Posted June 15, 2017 - 04:54 PM

IMG_2512.JPG

#78 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,790 Thanks
  • 2,359 posts

Posted June 15, 2017 - 05:02 PM

I've checked Autozone they don't have one. I'm not about to spend $80 for a one-time-use tool.

Still wondering if I can fully remove the top of the tappet without hurting anything in order to get the valve springs in.

you get what you pay for.... again the rod torque is too critical to "guess" with a ft/lb torque wrench. , the in/lb is a "finer" adjustment, ft/lb is like a "coarse adjustment...

You don't have ANYONE that you know that works on cars for a living? or tractors?  couldn't you borrow one?  If you lived closer I'd let you use one of mine.

#79 Joe Knife OFFLINE  

Joe Knife
  • 104 Thanks
  • 106 posts

Posted June 18, 2017 - 09:50 AM

The choke ear on the carbeurator contacts the air filter assembly so I'll have to trim it off a little.

#80 Joe Knife OFFLINE  

Joe Knife
  • 104 Thanks
  • 106 posts

Posted June 19, 2017 - 04:59 PM

I've got the engine back on the frame at this point, and about all I have left to install is covers and tins so I'm going to retire this thread now and revert to posting in my overall restoration thread (link in OP of this thread).

First time I start it up I'll record a video and link it here.