#1 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 1,548 Thanks
  • 1,254 posts

Posted March 19, 2017 - 05:34 PM

This is a really odd ball engine that no one can give us any info on

All we know is that it is a 'Super Cycle' engine.

It is a 2 stroke, but has crankcase oil.

It is a 2 cylinder but has one spark plug.

Weve been told that the other cylinder and piston act as a sort of 'supercharger' Forcing more gas and air into the other cylinder.

It has a sparkadvance (?) Which is a lever that moves the the condenser and mag under the flywheel.

Quick story, my dad got it when he was about my age, 14, and bolted it to a stump.

It took all his might, and still does, to start it.

When the 'ol girl started, she bucked like a mule and got ripped off the stump, breaking a mount post, as you can see in one of the pictures.

He hasnt started it until a couple years back, because it scared him so bad, and still does to this day.

This thing is unbelievably loud, and makes your ears bleed, quite literally.

If you could give us any info on this engine, it would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your time.

IMG_3693.JPG IMG_3694.JPG IMG_3695.JPG IMG_3696.JPG

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, Alc and 5 others have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,371 Thanks
  • 7,757 posts

Posted March 19, 2017 - 05:48 PM

Sure is a weird one.  Suppose it could be some sort of Rail Road or other commercial engine that had to run long times?  Was wondering how you start? Don't see a rope slot or pedal to kick, how's it done? Also, if air cooled, why no fan or fins on flywheel?  Wonder if cooled by a seperate system?  Not sure what that valve lift looking thing is, goes to carb?   Times the port?  Exhaust is where?  Out the bottom of cylinder?  Just a port, no muffler or such? Lots of questions.

• boyscout862 and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#3 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • 1,548 Thanks
  • 1,254 posts

Posted March 19, 2017 - 05:51 PM

Sure is a weird one.  Suppose it could be some sort of Rail Road or other commercial engine that had to run long times?  Was wondering how you start? Don't see a rope slot or pedal to kick, how's it done? Also, if air cooled, why no fan or fins on flywheel?  Wonder if cooled by a seperate system?  Not sure what that valve lift looking thing is, goes to carb?   Times the port?  Exhaust is where?  Out the bottom of cylinder?  Just a port, no muffler or such? Lots of questions.

There is a notch on the pulley, and the valve lookin thing is to pump gas i think into the other cylinder. We are thinking that it is for a raliway car, because how else would it be cooled other than another system. Exaust just dumps right out of the bore, no exhaust at all

• KennyP said thank you

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,852 Thanks
  • 8,688 posts

Posted March 19, 2017 - 06:35 PM

As I interpret what you said, this has two stage compression? Just on looks, I think that it may be an early motorcycle engine. Probably for racing. The two stage compression would help on the higher speeds. Good Luck, Rick
  • 637Yeoman said thank you

#5 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • 1,548 Thanks
  • 1,254 posts

Posted March 19, 2017 - 06:38 PM

As I interpret what you said, this has two stage compression? Just on looks, I think that it may be an early motorcycle engine. Probably for racing. The two stage compression would help on the higher speeds. Good Luck, Rick

Im wondering what that weird pulley is for? And how would a belt stay on if it is supposed to have one

#6 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,781 Thanks
  • 4,885 posts

Posted March 19, 2017 - 08:25 PM

Im wondering what that weird pulley is for? And how would a belt stay on if it is supposed to have one

I am guessing its half a clutch. Like a snowmobile clutch.

#7 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • 1,548 Thanks
  • 1,254 posts

Posted March 19, 2017 - 08:51 PM

I am guessing its half a clutch. Like a snowmobile clutch.

Maybe,but the whoopy whoos throw me off as far as that goes.

All in all. it sure is one weird motor.

• shorty said thank you

#8 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,307 Thanks
  • 806 posts

Posted March 19, 2017 - 08:59 PM

I have seen a similar setup that the motor was on a sliding carrier that once running was slid against a rubber wheel to power a conveyor I believe. Could be like that but the motor is not familiar.
  • Alc and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#9 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • 1,548 Thanks
  • 1,254 posts

Posted March 19, 2017 - 09:22 PM

I have seen a similar setup that the motor was on a sliding carrier that once running was slid against a rubber wheel to power a conveyor I believe. Could be like that but the motor is not familiar.

This motor scares and intrigues me. I would imagine it had to power something that well, required a bit of power. The set up with the 'supercharger' seems weird. We asked an 'engine pro' at a tractor show, and he had no clue :mad2:  :wallbanging:

How would you find parts, and even put a value on an engine like this?

The sentimental value is priceless, but i would like to know

#10 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 1,024 Thanks
  • 681 posts

Posted March 19, 2017 - 09:57 PM

That is cool!old two strokes didn't use any exhaust,I have a old chainsaw and can look right at the piston,with sealed crankcase the pre-compression takes the place of crankcase porting,the spark advance is just like outboard boat motors,flywheel looks to be just that,I'm thinking cooling was done on the fly like motorcycles,my guess like said above is rail car,thanks I really like old and odd

#11 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,278 Thanks
  • 1,042 posts

Posted March 20, 2017 - 12:05 AM

Appears to be a mechanically actuated intake valve. The head on the precharge cylinder has cooling fins, probably to prevent dieseling. We called the rail crew cars putput cars for the sound. That definitely doesn't look like a putput. Don

#12 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 1,024 Thanks
  • 681 posts

Posted March 20, 2017 - 12:25 AM

What would a rail car weigh?would take some torque on a long grade with tools,crew,ties,rails.....WOW I think I'd mount that thing on something big and heavy before trying to start it again(got any surplus army tanks in the bushes)

#13 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • 1,548 Thanks
  • 1,254 posts

Posted March 20, 2017 - 02:01 PM

What would a rail car weigh?would take some torque on a long grade with tools,crew,ties,rails.....WOW I think I'd mount that thing on something big and heavy before trying to start it again(got any surplus army tanks in the bushes)

Haha, based on how powerful it is, i think it would move a da** car if it wanted too!

#14 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 6,683 Thanks
  • 4,850 posts

Posted March 20, 2017 - 02:39 PM

Maybe you should post this over on Smokstak and see if anybody knows what it is. Can't say I've ever seen anything like it.

#15 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • 1,548 Thanks
  • 1,254 posts

Posted March 20, 2017 - 03:18 PM

i can maybe try starting it tonight and getting a video, the quality wouldnt great, but it would show how dang loud it is. 

Ill keep you updated if i can