31 replies to this topic

#16 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,930 Thanks
  • 1,221 posts

Posted April 24, 2017 - 02:13 PM

I can take pics of mine, if you want.

post up please..thanks for all responses   I will be looking at it soon...Had a "oh -hit!" moment yesterday with something else and trying to get it under control :wallbanging:

Edited by Jazz, April 24, 2017 - 02:16 PM.

• MH81 and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#17 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,727 Thanks
  • 5,576 posts

Posted April 24, 2017 - 02:24 PM

This is my OH160, different carb, but setup is the same

OH160 throttle.jpg

• 637Yeoman and secondtry have said thanks

#18 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,183 Thanks
  • 985 posts

Posted April 24, 2017 - 03:38 PM

This is my OH160, different carb, but setup is the same

attachicon.gifOH160 thro

In Tahoe's picture I note how the linkage wire attaches to the throttle plate at idle and is to the left of center on the butterfly shaft, when the governor pulls on the linkage it will pull the plate around 1/4 turn to move the throttle plate 90 degrees to full throttle.Don.  

Edited by secondtry, April 24, 2017 - 03:40 PM.

• TAHOE and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#19 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,954 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted April 24, 2017 - 10:05 PM

post up please..thanks for all responses   I will be looking at it soon...Had a "oh -hit!" moment yesterday with something else and trying to get it under control :wallbanging:

Hope All Is good.
Anyways, here ya go
https://youtu.be/bf0DX857pXU
  • CRFarnsworth and secondtry have said thanks

#20 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • 1,930 Thanks
  • 1,221 posts

Posted April 25, 2017 - 03:22 PM

So,, I will get to tractor tomorrow. My little moment was a propane shut off valve breaking off. Both tanks full and I only had my trusty Vise Grip "pinch valves" handy. Got a line made up of sorts and attached to tiger torch. The stainless fitting attached to my broken braided hose is very slick!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0329.JPG
  • IMG_0330.JPG
  • IMG_0332.JPG

#21 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • 1,930 Thanks
  • 1,221 posts

Posted April 29, 2017 - 03:11 PM

Ok. Thanks for video and pics. Now my throttle works backwards. Fine with me for now. I'll deal with that later My neighbour has same tractor he bought new in '73. I'll take a look at his when he gets back to town.
Here's video of slow starter. I have cleaned all connections and still turns over real slow. Do I need to rebuild starter? I have been boosting with my truck when engine is cold.  Just seems to need plenty of cranking amps.

The seat is a Massey Harris thats been sitting in garden for some time.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0371.JPG

Attached Files

Edited by Jazz, April 29, 2017 - 07:13 PM.

#22 nkaust OFFLINE  

nkaust

• Member No: 6766
  • 76 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 26, 2017 - 07:01 AM

what about the battery? sometimes i run into certain situations where the battery is troublesome, it has juice to crank with a boost, but the way it seems is that by using jumper cables it seems to bypass the weak battery and just jump off of the truck which isnt enough juice. for gits and shiggles might want to go ahead and rebuild it. nice looking tractor btw

#23 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,954 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted May 27, 2017 - 06:41 AM

If it ends up being the starter... Cleaning up the commutator, inspecting the brushes and possibly a new bushing (or bearing). Not a hard job, usually. See if there is a solenoid. Some of these tractors had a key switch with heavier contacts. They would still fail after a bunch of long crank situations. You can add a solenoid.

I would put in a different battery first (at least do some voltage readings on it to see what's going on.)
Good chance it's the battery.
  • Jazz said thank you

#24 Buck Tales OFFLINE  

Buck Tales
  • Member No: 73140
  • 187 Thanks
  • 121 posts

Posted May 27, 2017 - 12:04 PM

Good luck Jazz, mine has been a slow cranker ever since I started with it. My Suburban is a 1967 10HP and cranks just like your video shows. I got new good battery with maximum cranking I could fit. I got new solenoid for starting circuit and took starter/generator completely down and did bearings and brushes when cleaning the commutator. Being an electrician I kind of get fanatical about wiring sometimes. LOL! I wanted to convert this pull start model to electric and include an electric lift on the 3 point hitch. I'm good and it all runs well, just starts like a dog. Good luck.

• Jazz said thank you

#25 nkaust OFFLINE  

nkaust

• Member No: 6766
  • 76 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 27, 2017 - 09:50 PM

If it ends up being the starter... Cleaning up the commutator, inspecting the brushes and possibly a new bushing (or bearing). Not a hard job, usually. See if there is a solenoid. Some of these tractors had a key switch with heavier contacts. They would still fail after a bunch of long crank situations. You can add a solenoid.

I would put in a different battery first (at least do some voltage readings on it to see what's going on.)
Good chance it's the battery.

That is true, i forgot about the those heavy duty key switches

• Jazz said thank you

#26 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 9,074 Thanks
  • 5,549 posts

Posted June 24, 2017 - 07:26 PM

So, what you've got there is a CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition). They've got everything except the ignition coil mounted where you expected to find points.

The way the CDI system works is the charge coil (lower left in your 2nd. picture) charges a capacitor to 30-50 volts, then the capacitor is discharged into the coil which boosts the voltage to fire the plug.

I found a little diagnostic information HERE. He sort of tells how to repair the CDI but it isn't very detailed.

The CDI itself is part number 610759 and is no longer available. The coil is part number 610760 and is also discontinued. There is a complete ignition replacement kit available HERE for $125. The replacement kit is an automotive type ignition and will not work with the standard key switch. You need to add a switch to turn it on and off or get a suitable key switch.

Does that place still do bysiness? I need one of those for my sears and every time I call no one answers
  • Jazz said thank you

#27 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,713 Thanks
  • 916 posts

Posted June 24, 2017 - 08:04 PM

Does that place still do bysiness? I need one of those for my sears and every time I call no one answers

Have no idea.  Never did business with them, just stumbled across the place when doing research to help the original poster.

Have you tried email?

#28 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,727 Thanks
  • 5,576 posts

Posted June 24, 2017 - 08:22 PM

Dale is pretty responsive to email. I sent him and email a few months he responded within 12 hrs and answered my question plus more.

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#29 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • 1,930 Thanks
  • 1,221 posts

Posted July 09, 2017 - 10:42 AM

well I tried another battery,,,,i'll get to that story later.   Still cranked too slow to start so I have just pulled the starter out and see what i can do.  Must be a kit available for these. I don't see a solenoid.  

Bought a good used battery. The guy had just had double hernia repair. They did it locally because blood test showed he also had liver cancer so they wanted hernias repaired now. He said it made him forget about his sore back. I asked whats up with the back. He told me the woman living with him fell through hole in bridge down the road and he jumped off to rescue her and back has not been the same... Dang! I  guess his only saving grace is he is still alive and optimistic. He's in his 30's I'd say.

the bridge he jumped off...Mt Mckay in the background

17749734.jpg

Edited by Jazz, July 09, 2017 - 10:53 AM.

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#30 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • 1,930 Thanks
  • 1,221 posts

Posted July 09, 2017 - 11:47 AM

So, pulled starter and here on the bench seems to work fine

Attached Files

Edited by Jazz, July 09, 2017 - 04:46 PM.