7 replies to this topic

#1 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3766
  • 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted June 09, 2011 - 09:19 PM

im working on a 12 hp Tecumseh powered suburban. had a couple of questions. is this tractor supposed to have a fuel pump? someone jerry rigged a briggs fuel pump and i know it isnt what belongs on there. it does run if i hold the fuel tank over the carburator. i dont let it run very long like that. im not too familiar with these carburetors either. someone had the wrong fuel bowl on it, and believe it or not a carriage bolt was stuck in the bottom instead of the high speed adjustment screw. i cant believe it actually ran like that, but i guess it must have. i cant imagine it running too good like that. the carburator has been properly cleaned and i installed the proper nut/ high speed adjustment screw. this machine sat up on the hill for god know how long and i did get it to fire with only an hour or two of work. im really surprised on what i find cobbled together on these older tractors. this is the first suburban i have work on. while i dont think it was built quite as well as an IH cub cadet, it still seems like a very solid tractor.

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 10, 2011 - 05:09 AM

I don't think it should have a fuel pump on it. Should just be a fuel filter on there in line. It is probably the fuel pump holding up the fuel flow if there is no other hoses going to it for the vacuum signal.

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,268 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted June 10, 2011 - 06:25 AM

Some of the later ones did have a pump, and the replacement engines had one on them. It doesn't need it, however, unless you live in mountain goat territory. The bolt and the pump are both clues that they were trying to get the carb to work right...and failing.

I would remove the pump, tune up the carb (hopefully they didn't bugger up the seat in there), and try it out. If you are having a lot of problems getting it to run right, there are 2 gaskets for the carb. One between the block and the tin, and one between the tin and the carb. Check them both for leaks before you doubt yourself too much.

Oh, and where's the pics?

#4 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted June 10, 2011 - 11:40 AM

its not my machine, im repairing it for the guy down the street that owns god know how many garden tractors, many have been sitting a long time. my job is to get the machines running that are savable and part out the ones that arent. pretty cool job. its side work and it pays 10/hour in cash. i think its a neat experience to work on a whole variety of equipment that i dont own. i dont think he would mind if i took pictures. oh, and there was a hose going to the breather from the pump. i dont know how the previous "mechanic" thought he could use the wrong bowl, not use that adjustment screw, and use a carriage bolt??? unbelievable, some people just dont know what they are doing none-what-so-ever.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,268 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted June 11, 2011 - 05:32 AM

Now that's a cool side job.

Let us know how it goes.
BTW, What state are you in?

#6 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted June 11, 2011 - 06:09 AM

i live in north java, ny. this guy has parts for narrow frame cub cadets, quiet lines, several suburbans, some weird looking allis Chalmers GT, some stuff i dont even recognize, lots of cheap lawn tractor junk(lots of craftsman junk LT's). some of what he has is still savable. i bought one of these. its the cub cadet 124 that im stripping down to the bare frame. it sat there for a long time. surprisingly it sat in the elements for so long and the sheet metal is still very solid. fenders have plenty of shiny metal hiding under the rust and ugly paint. i guess thats a testimate to how much thought and quality was put into these small industrial tractors. the transaxle wouldnt shift and all that was wrong with it was a bunch of rusty junk under the shifting knob. its going to be a very nice tractor when its done(i hope). if you need a deck for a suburban this guy has about 5 extras, some are in very good condition. he probably also has ignition parts, i know those are getting hard to come by.

so far most of what i parted out were cheap lawn tractor. i dont feel so bad about them, its more like good riddance. the only cub cadet i have been parting so far is a 582 that has a blown engine and is already missing a bunch of parts. allot of that stuff is finding its way onto a 782 that runs fantastic but has allot of cosmetic issues. i brought back to life a 126, 147, 169, suburban, and an 1100. i like putting the life back into a classic that has been sitting too long. something even better this guy has 3 early cub cadets. he has an original, a 70, and a 100. im going to eventually bring those 3 back to life as well. the 3 early machines have been stored inside but just havent been run recently. he has the respect to keep the O inside. he is a good guy in my book, allowing me to save some of these tractors from the scrap heap and not just parting them out for a quick buck.

i would feel badly to scrap out the machines that are still savable. i dont like the idea of taking history and making so it will never run again. that would make me sad. glad those machines are allowed to live again and im the one that gets to do it.
  • MH81 said thank you

#7 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted June 11, 2011 - 11:05 AM

got the Tecumseh in the 'burb running good. it will now mow again. blades need to be sharpened but it will still mow. it had not mowed in probably 5 years. it feels good to bring it back to life. it actually runs fairly well. no smoking or knocking

#8 nev OFFLINE  

nev

• Member No: 4041
  • 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted June 25, 2011 - 06:50 PM

I have an ss12 and have run it with and without a pump. I keep it with the pump because thats how it was when I bought it. there are two pumps that they put on them. One mounts to the carb and the other is plastic with fuel line that makes the connections.