#1 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 3,748 Thanks
  • 2,206 posts

Posted March 18, 2017 - 11:27 PM

OK, I am finally getting around to rebuilding the engine on my 7016, I pulled the head and oil pan. I noticed the connecting rod has play on the crankshaft? I am guessing the connecting rod needs replaced? How much play should there be? I'm guessing there shouldn't be any. Thanks for any help, I am needing to get this going ASAP because the grass is growing fast!

I was hoping to have this running by the end of the weekend but it's not looking that way.

• chieffan and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#2 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 1,588 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted March 18, 2017 - 11:41 PM

When you say "play" I'm assuming your talking about the play between the crank journal and the connecting rod inner bearing surface and not side to side play.  If you have a fair amount of play between the crank journal and the inner bearing surface of the connecting rod the rod will absolutely need to be replace.  A bigger concern will the journal of the crank being out of round due to the play.  I would use a micrometer and measure the journal in every angle possible to see how much out of round it is.  I know for the Kohler motors engine manual has specification that you can use to find out whether or not your crank can be reused with only cleaning and polishing or if it will need to be turned down. 

• Alc, BTS, chieffan and 1 other said thanks

#3 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,098 Thanks
  • 2,812 posts

Posted March 19, 2017 - 03:33 AM

Crank pin journal should be 1.3094. I've rebuilt a couple of the big cast iron briggs and all of them had some side to side movement of the connecting rod on the crank journal even with a new connecting rod. If your around .010 I wouldn't worry about it. The briggs engines are a bit sloppy internally compared to a Kohler.

Pull your piston and rod and carefully inspect the journal and bearing surface of the rod. If you see Any scoring or dark burnt spots on the rod your going to need to get another rod. You can polish the crank journal with some super fine 1200-2000 grit Crocus cloth. I always polish the connecting rod bearing surface a bit with 2000 grit crocus cloth. Just enough to take the dull finish off. 

Check your wrist pin for wear. It should pull out of the piston without having to hammer it out. (I had to use a punch and hammer on the last Kohler I tore apart) Wrist pin wear can make the rod wear really funky on the journal. If the wrist pin is worn even a little bit your sadly going to need another piston as well.     

If you can spare $82 I would put a fresh rod and piston set in it just for piece of mind.

Connecting rod and Head bolts both go to 190 Inch pounds.

STD Piston Kit     Briggs part # 792365

STD Con Rod with dipper   Briggs part # 299632

Piston kit on Ebay $39 shipped VS $75+ for the same part elsewhere.

http://www.ebay.com/...g8AAMXQjWtROncd

NOS STD Rod with Dipper $43 shipped on Ebay VS $78+ for the same part elsewhere.

http://www.ebay.com/...XwAAOSwuxFYxv2Y

Checked Partstree and they want $152 + shipping for the same parts. Some times you can get lucky and find NOS rods on Ebay for $20-30 but not very often.

Edited by EricFromPa, March 19, 2017 - 04:10 AM.

• Alc, KennyP, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#4 haykarenhardy OFFLINE  

haykarenhardy
  • Member No: 63476
  • 54 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted March 19, 2017 - 04:55 AM

I rebuilt a 326437 16 hp B&S about 5 years ago, get the bore miked . I had to bore 20 over, had a hard time finding a piston and rod. If you go to this much trouble make sure to check the throttle shaft bushings. If they are bad dirt will be drawn into the engine. I think there is a rebuild manual on this site for your engine.

Stan

• boyscout862 and BTS have said thanks

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 3,098 Thanks
  • 2,812 posts

Posted March 21, 2017 - 06:03 AM

How bad is she hurt? Did you have a chance to pull her apart yet?

Don't pull the crank out of it unless you absolutely have to. It's pretty hard to line up the timing marks on the Cam and crank with the crank bearing in place. Very very easy to get it 1 to 2 teeth off. The counter balance under the flywheel isn't to bad to align.

Edited by EricFromPa, March 21, 2017 - 06:06 AM.

• BTS said thank you

#6 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 3,748 Thanks
  • 2,206 posts

Posted March 21, 2017 - 08:44 AM

Thanks for everyone's help! :worshippy1:.

Sorry I haven't posted on, my internet has been going in and out for the past week and it makes it impossible to get anything done.

I wasn't 100% sure about it, It didn't seem to have a ton of play but I really didn't have anyway to measure it. So I hauled the engine into the local hardware that a friend owns, he used to be a semi mechanic and now he does a lot of small engine repair. He said it looks like it will be fine just the way it is which I was glad to here. After all the engine was running fine besides it fogging smoke because the rings were bad and it even had one broken ring.

I got the engine together yesterday, I still need to put on the oil pan, tin, carb, starter and ect.

Thanks again :thank_you:

• EricFromPa and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#7 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 3,098 Thanks
  • 2,812 posts

Posted March 21, 2017 - 05:57 PM

Oh cool.

Post a video of her running when you get her together? Don't know why but the sound of a good running engine calms my nerves quite a bit. It's therapeutic lol.

• BTS said thank you